Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

While watching the news this morning - Sunday morning news journalism shows - the Ray Rice case was mentioned and sure enough the female news reporter started on about how what he did is now "the national conversation". Gun control and bullying are part of "the national conversation" as are dozens of other topics I don't follow closely as they aren't part of my conversation.

Why is it any time something happens which somehow sets people back it becomes part of "the national conversation"?
What is "the national conversation" and why has it only been in existence since 2009? Is it a purely liberal thing only possible through the election of Obama? Maybe it has been around for ages, I have never paid attention to "the national conversation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
In about a week the "National Conversation" will focus on the South Park season premier on 9/24 and how Kenny will be killed at the end.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
The "national conversation" is a media construct to make themselves look interesting and important of which they are neither.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
"Three months ago, in accepting the nomination of my party to be its presidential candidate, I said: Of all the objectives we seek, first and foremost is the establishment of lasting world peace.

Since I spoke those words, I have had the chance to visit with Americans like you, all across the nation. I have brought that same message of peace as our primary goal.

But it hasn’t all been one-sided. I have had the chance not only to talk with you but also to listen to you about the course you believe our country should take. We have, in a way, been holding a national conversation together on the future of our country.

Tonight, I want to continue my part of that ongoing conversation, and offer what I believe are ways in which peace can be assured for every American family and for the world ..."

-Ronald Reagan (10/19/1980)

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archive.../10.19.80.html

Old 09-14-2014, 10:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Why is it any time something happens which somehow sets people back it becomes part of "the national conversation"?
What is "the national conversation" and why has it only been in existence since 2009? Is it a purely liberal thing only possible through the election of Obama? Maybe it has been around for ages, I have never paid attention to "the national conversation".
The "national conversation" is what used to be referred to as water cooler talk. It's now about social media where opinions are posted for X minutes before something new comes along. It's about the political entertainment cable TV shows that create opportunities for elected officials to get in front of the camera and speculate and then there's the internet bloggers. Lastly, are the never ending polls of 500-1000 people that conclude with majority opinions on any topic. That pollsters can and do influence the poll outcome by the questions they ask does not matter so long as one agrees with the conclusion.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
The National Conversation is Whatt

Exactly.

Exactly Whatt

The National Conversation

Third Base

Old 09-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
The "national conversation" is a media construct to make themselves look interesting and important of which they are neither.
it also leads up to political fodder for their candidate of choice

Old 09-14-2014, 12:52 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Who's on second

Old 09-14-2014, 12:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Who's on second
Who's on first.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I have never heard it referred to as the "national conversation," but the "national agenda" (which is presumably the same thing) is most certainly a media construct. The media has the power to shape any topic and bring it to the forefront, even influencing legislation, by what they choose to report, or not report.

A perfect example of this was the Assault Weapons Ban Act of 1994. For 60 years the FBI had a written definition of "Assault Weapon," until the national media changed it in 1994. According to the FBI from 1934 until 1994 the definition of an "Assault Weapon" was any weapon capable of fully-automatic fire. After the uninformed media got involved, the definition became purely cosmetic and had nothing to do with a weapon's rate of fire.

Conversely, the issues the national media chooses not to cover does not become part of the national agenda. No matter how important the issue may be.

As long as there is a national media, they will always have the ability to establish the national agenda. While that may not interest some, it is nevertheless a very important responsibility and one that should not be taken lightly by media consumers.

This is why the media must be held to the ethical standard of objectivity, because deliberately slanting the news one way or the other, while being entertaining, also deliberately distorts the national agenda. The national media is the unofficial "Fourth Branch of Government" because they have the power to influence the other three branches of government. Therefore, the national media should be taken seriously, particularly when they are deliberately attempting to mislead the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies