Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

I'm a pretty generous tipper, generally going beyond the guidelines when I eat out or get my hair cut or something like that. But I have to admit that tipping has gotten out of hand and makes no sense sometimes.

For example, why are we expected to tip a taxi driver, but not the sales associate at a store who goes out of their way to help us with a purchase ? I work retail, and all day long I give advice to customers, solve their problems, and go way beyond what is expected of me to make them happy. Yet, I never get a tip, nor would I accept one, it is part of my job. ( A customer threw down a $20 bill one day for me and ran out the door before I could give it back to him, so I left it for the rest of the staff to get doughnuts the next morning..........I couldn't keep it in good conscience. )

That is the thing about tipping that bothers me the most, some people are expected to receive a tip and others (who do even more work for you) are not. It makes no sense.

Don

Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM

6,390 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't, but that's because when I stay in a hotel I always hang the DND sign on the door. My 'tip' in this case is basically giving them less work.

The reasoning is multi-fold.. 7 years ago or so, I was traveling quite a bit doing projects for Lowe's, which could only be done when the store was closed.. So, I was in a hotel, working from 11pm to 7am or so.. Sleeping during the day.. So, I didn't want them disturbing me..

Second.. I don't want them coming in my room while i'm not there. Less chance of anything going missing.

Third.. I don't want them in there when I am there.

And last.. I see no point in them coming in and making the bed up or providing fresh towels.. Since I tend to use a towel more than once, and unless I'm at the hotel for a week straight or something.. I don't need more than the 4 they generally provide.. And if I do, i'll find one of them and ask.

BUT.. If I was having them come in and do all that daily.. Then, yes, I would consider a tip.
This. Almost exactly. If i leave the last day and the room is in disarray then sure, but it never is.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
My husband travels for work and we (daughter and myself) often go with him. I leave between $2 -5 a day depending on where we are.....and how bad the mess is. I try to keep the mess as contained as possible but when we stay at hotels for a week or longer, we end up bringing/buying lots of snacks and thigns to entertain my daughter. And requesting more freguent linens changes, extra coffee, extra towels, etc...

When my daughter was three - she kept calling them "zookeepers", LOL.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Do you tip janitors? I already feel like Im bleeding money when I go on vacations, I only tip for exceptional service. Simply doing your job isn't worth a tip to me. I didn't ask for housekeeping, its an industry standard service performed by an employee of the hotel.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
When I used to travel to NYC on business the tipping was crazy. I would tip the cabby when he dropped me off at the hotel, tip the bellman who carried my bag to the desk, and then tip the bellboy who took me to my room. I would have $30 in tips before I got settled into my room. Everyone had their hand out and expected a tip for whatever they did for you.

Don

Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
I have mixed emotions about tipping housekeeping. . . but not from a "they deserve it" point-of-view. They DO deserve it. They wallow in our filth, people! We tip waitstaff, but they only need to focus on moving food and keeping our drinks full. Housekeeping cleans up AFTER US.

No, my problem is, a lot of the hotels have a "supervisor" who go around and "confirm" that the guest has left, and that it's OK for the staff to clean the rooms. This is AFTER the "supervisor" has gone around and done a "pre-cleaning check", i.e. already picked up the tip meant for the maids. I've never seen any supervisor anywhere, work as hard as the housekeeping "supervisor" right at checkout time, "pre-checking" the rooms.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
For those who haven't heard what Marriott is up to these days, see this article.

Marriott to urge guests to tip their housekeepers as part of new campaign - The Washington Post

Yes, these hotel maids live on a low wage in big, expensive cities and they barely go by, but I don't understand why or since when it became my responsibility to pay them directly out of my pocket. I pay Marriott nearly $200 (or more) a night, and now they say that "Oh, by the way, this $200 doesn't include the money to pay room maids, so please be a gentleman and kindly chip in a few bucks for them."

Sorry, Marriott, you should figure out how to pay them from my $200. If you can't, you have a serious problem.

Do you agree with Marriott and we, as a customer, should leave a few bucks on the pillow for maids? Then, please think about this---Marriott has $13 billion a year in revenue and $626 million in profits. The guy who is behind this campaign, the CEO, is making $7 million a year. And they are waging a campaign of customers picking up the tab for their own workers. Their goal is to make hotel maids tipped workers. I seriously doubt that hotel workers would be better off as tipped workers. This just looks to me this hotel giant is trying to get away from its own due responsibility and finger point to customers.

This is sickening.

(the above numbers came from this article: Should You Tip Your Hotel Maid? -- NYMag)
These days???? Seriously?? Tip envelopes have been in rooms for decades - get out much???

And if you think the majority of your 200 goes to the CEOs pocket, you have some growing up to do. Sheesh....

Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I have mixed emotions about tipping housekeeping. . . but not from a "they deserve it" point-of-view. They DO deserve it. They wallow in our filth, people! We tip waitstaff, but they only need to focus on moving food and keeping our drinks full. Housekeeping cleans up AFTER US.

No, my problem is, a lot of the hotels have a "supervisor" who go around and "confirm" that the guest has left, and that it's OK for the staff to clean the rooms. This is AFTER the "supervisor" has gone around and done a "pre-cleaning check", i.e. already picked up the tip meant for the maids. I've never seen any supervisor anywhere, work as hard as the housekeeping "supervisor" right at checkout time, "pre-checking" the rooms.
There are plenty of people who have "gross" jobs in this world who don't get tips nor do they expect them. Do we leave tips for the guys that pump porta potties?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Something else I thought about last night, this falls in line with the guy in the bathroom who wants a tip because, apparently, I don't know how to wash my hands. I didn't ask for you to be there, I don't want your services. I am perfectly capable of making my bed in a hotel room, the fact that someone comes in, adds towels, makes the bed, and leaves, does not warrant a tip from me either.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
If I stay more than one night, I always tip the maid. But if I'm in or out with minimal mess, I don't really bother with more than a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies