Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times

Advertisements

I think there's a difference between whether you're treating them as housekeepers or maids. Which goes back to my earlier statements.

If you have them coming in and cleaning the room daily while you're there.. You're basically treating them as a maid, not a housekeeper.. I think tipping is appropriate at that point.

If I were the hotel owners, i'd probably set it so that housekeeping comes in once every 4 days or only when requested by the guest, or when the guest checks out. If you request them to come in and do 'additional cleaning' while you're there.. Then tipping would be appropriate.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I have mixed emotions about tipping housekeeping. . . but not from a "they deserve it" point-of-view. They DO deserve it. They wallow in our filth, people!
Whoa there, I was a housekeeper and I never "wallowed" in anyone's filth, thank you very much.

Were tips nice? Yes, were they expected? No. Did I clean any harder with a tip? No.

It's a job and provides a minimum wage. I've also worked in retail (for the same wage) but never recieved tips even with outstanding service. I'll admit it was physically harder than working in retail, but easier in some respects because I didn't have to work with the general public.

Now do I tip housekeepers? Not usually. I tend to put the DND sign up and leave it up since I am pretty clean.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
For those who haven't heard what Marriott is up to these days, see this article.

Marriott to urge guests to tip their housekeepers as part of new campaign - The Washington Post

Yes, these hotel maids live on a low wage in big, expensive cities and they barely go by, but I don't understand why or since when it became my responsibility to pay them directly out of my pocket. I pay Marriott nearly $200 (or more) a night, and now they say that "Oh, by the way, this $200 doesn't include the money to pay room maids, so please be a gentleman and kindly chip in a few bucks for them."

Sorry, Marriott, you should figure out how to pay them from my $200. If you can't, you have a serious problem.

Do you agree with Marriott and we, as a customer, should leave a few bucks on the pillow for maids? Then, please think about this---Marriott has $13 billion a year in revenue and $626 million in profits. The guy who is behind this campaign, the CEO, is making $7 million a year. And they are waging a campaign of customers picking up the tab for their own workers. Their goal is to make hotel maids tipped workers. I seriously doubt that hotel workers would be better off as tipped workers. This just looks to me this hotel giant is trying to get away from its own due responsibility and finger point to customers.

This is sickening.

(the above numbers came from this article: Should You Tip Your Hotel Maid? -- NYMag)
Tipping hotel maids is nothing new. Not sure why the OP thinks it's something new. But according to the article, Marriott's maids make between $18.30/hr. and $20.00. Why should we tip someone making more money than some college grad office workers? Nobody tips university staff or office receptionists, who make a lot less than Marriott's maids. Why are we supposed to tip someone who makes $20/hr? Or am I missing something here?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Whoa there, I was a housekeeper and I never "wallowed" in anyone's filth, thank you very much.

Were tips nice? Yes, were they expected? No. Did I clean any harder with a tip? No.

It's a job and provides a minimum wage. I've also worked in retail (for the same wage) but never recieved tips even with outstanding service. I'll admit it was physically harder than working in retail, but easier in some respects because I didn't have to work with the general public.

Now do I tip housekeepers? Not usually. I tend to put the DND sign up and leave it up since I am pretty clean.
I think hotel workers making minimum wage or near that should def get tips. And retail has gone downhill in pay, it seems like, since 20 years ago. Maybe it's about the benefits, idk, but it seems like anyone who works minimum wage should get tips.

It really goes to show what a union can do for people, though.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I heard you are only supposed to tip Hot Maids and only over the edge of the bed. LOL

I probably shouldn't have posted that, but I heard it from a friend and thought it was funny.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:18 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
How do you know who actually gets the tip? Just to leave it on the pillow doesn't assure the one doing the cleaning is the one who gets it, especially if the room is cleaned in teams of several people. To leave a tip at the end of the stay doesn't insure the one doing the work is the one who gets it, either. Certainly don't leave it at the front desk, sure, that pimply-faced kid is going to track down the maid and hand her $20

WTD? Not much can be done to insure the one doing the work is the one who gets the tip, except if you hand it directly to them, and usually they come and go while I'm out of the room. Sorry, but I agree with others here, when I paid $100--$200/night, I expect the room to be clean and not some sort of a favor!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Yes, I always tip.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,038 times
I always tipped hotel maids.
Always.
Since when do people NOT top the maid?
I don't understand.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:30 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,760 times
For a 1-2 night stay where all I did was sleep in the room and use the initial towels? No. I consider that comparable to tipping at a fast food place. Sure, they cleaned the tables before me and they'll clean it afterwards, but there was no service above and beyond that is worth tipping for.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Something else I thought about last night, this falls in line with the guy in the bathroom who wants a tip because, apparently, I don't know how to wash my hands. I didn't ask for you to be there, I don't want your services. I am perfectly capable of making my bed in a hotel room, the fact that someone comes in, adds towels, makes the bed, and leaves, does not warrant a tip from me either.
God... I hate going to Charlotte Airport for this reason... OMG they are annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies