Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:09 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,141 times

Advertisements

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think Pitbulls have changed a lot since your grandfather's time. They were a great breed at one time, actually bred to be a kid's dog. Look at what has happened to them.

The "Our Gang" dog was a pit, back when they were good dogs. Notice the difference in size. That's what happens when you breed larger, and more aggressive dogs with others over and over again. Result? A missed up breed beyond repair.

They should all be neutered or spaded. All of them.
Petey on our gang was not a pit, he was a Staffordshire bull terrier, the look similar, but that is where it ends.

Quote:

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a medium-sized, stocky, and very muscular
dog, with a similar appearance to the much larger American
Staffordshire terrier
and American Pit Bull Terrier, the latter of which has
much longer legs and outweighs the Staffie Bull by approximately 14 kg (30
lbs.)

Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think Pitbulls have changed a lot since your grandfather's time. They were a great breed at one time, actually bred to be a kid's dog. Look at what has happened to them.

The "Our Gang" dog was a pit, back when they were good dogs. Notice the difference in size. That's what happens when you breed larger, and more aggressive dogs with others over and over again. Result? A missed up breed beyond repair.

They should all be neutered or spaded. All of them.

It's still the same dog.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:14 PM

47,022 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
You're a gun-owner and you're more worried about your kids getting attacked by a dog?
He thinks he's a gun owner but actually, last night at 3 AM his neighbors took his guns "before they came a problem". Not wanting to be a hypocrite, lenniel will be fine with this when he finds out.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I know of pit bulls in a neighborhood where I once lived that were tossed 'sleepy treats' over the fence into the back yard at about 3 AM.

Amazingly, the next day, that pitbull problem was resolved.......

What if someone slipped some sleepy treats into you or your kids food?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:19 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,006,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said. pitbulls, german shephards, doberman pinchers, rotweillers, mastiffs, and other large powerful breed dogs all require a firm hand from a human pack leader to keep them under proper control. but the people that own these dogs either dont have the knowledge, or are lazy, or dont set boundaries for the dogs.

and then the victims of attacks also contribute to the problem. instead of claiming their territory when these dogs approach, they tend to run away, thus becoming prey and making the dog more powerful psychologically.

My neighbor has a dog that is half German Shepard, and half Great Dane (probably part wolf too). At any rate, he is a very well-trained and friendly dog. He loves people, and loves kids. He isn't too keen on other dogs, and is an alpha male, but my neighbor takes all of the precautions of avoiding other people walking their dogs. Plus you would think the way he is trained that he was a police or military dog. My neighbor has spent a lot of time in training him properly.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,894,749 times
and i will counter your guy that only deals in statistics and fear with this guy who actually knows the breed because his right hand dogs have been pitbulls for years, ceasar milan who had daddy, and now junior as his right hand dog. both balanced pitbulls that actually TEACH other dogs to be balanced. milan can also put together a balanced pack of pitbulls.

Cesar Millan: Love My Pit Bull | Nat Geo Wild

Love-A-Bull, Inc. | Austin, TX

you might want to do some real research on the subject before succumbing to the fears and stupidity of others who hate dogs, let alone pitbulls.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-19-2014 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 09-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Because I have children and I'm not going to roll the dice and hope nothing tragic happens. Better to take care of the problem before it becomes a problem.

Pretty crappy that you murdered someone's dogs when they've caused no harm to you or your children. To some, a person's pet(s) are an extension of their family.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
For the millionth time. A small dog, a Min Pin, a pomeranian, whatever can bite someone. When a pit bull does it, they are bigger with more powerful jaws, so they hurt people worse.

All dogs are capable of biting. All dogs. I have a rottweiler who lives with me and my three year old daughter, and my 10 year old son. She's never even growled at anyone, but let her see someone walking down the street, and she is raising cain. If they walked in the house, she'd roll over on her back and say "pet me" in doggy language.

Its not the breed, its how you train your dog.
Small dogs bite and draw blood on a daily basis but the fact goes unreported because it is just a little dog and can't hurt anyone. BS.
A chihuahua is actually the most vicious dog there is as most are apr to snap and atack without any provoking. If any think a pibble can snap beware of the little Chi as he is a nasty little SOB. Those little dogs get away with murder and a lot of bites but pibbles catch all the blame. Put a Chi in a great dane's body and you have a lion killer.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Small dogs bite and draw blood on a daily basis but the fact goes unreported because it is just a little dog and can't hurt anyone. BS.
A chihuahua is actually the most vicious dog there is as most are apr to snap and atack without any provoking. If any think a pibble can snap beware of the little Chi as he is a nasty little SOB. Those little dogs get away with murder and a lot of bites but pibbles catch all the blame. Put a Chi in a great dane's body and you have a lion killer.
Chi's tend to be very territorial and protective of their owners,(like mine), but once he gets to know you, he is very loving and does not forget. Chi's need to be socialized when their pup for them to warm up to people when they are adults, if not, then yes they can be a bit nasty and yes it goes back to the owner.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Yeah buddy. A lot of small dogs like poodles and chihuahuas have that Napoleon Syndrome. Poodles tend to be the worst. Now, I as a kid was bitten by several dogs, and everytime I deserved it. However; it was a different time, because otherwise think of how many lawsuits my parents could have won, or dogs we could have had put down, regardless if it was my fault or not. Now, of course as I've gotten older I know better not to tease dogs and even though I don't own dogs (I own cats) they love me. At any rate, from my experience with dogs (we have a ton of them in my neighborhood) the bigger ones seem to be the friendliest, and easier to approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies