Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

dog attacks especially pit bull tell me a great deal about the owner. usually unemployed and without property.
if they are not they will be soon.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dog attacks especially pit bull tell me a great deal about the owner. usually unemployed and without property.
if they are not they will be soon.

When I used to read gas meters for the City of Richmond in 1982, people would chain their pit bull to the meter thinking that if I could not read it they would get a bill. Idiots did not realize that we did not have to read it every month and we could estimate it based on last month's reading.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I think there is something wrong mentally with people who insist on keeping pitbulls around. Like these people who want to keep exotic pets like pythons and wolves.

Idiots.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:14 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
When I used to read gas meters for the City of Richmond in 1982, people would chain their pit bull to the meter thinking that if I could not read it they would get a bill. Idiots did not realize that we did not have to read it every month and we could estimate it based on last month's reading.

I bet you could read that meter from a long ways away. I know some meter readers, they can get within 10 cubic feet of the accurate reading by just looking at the position of the dials from 20+ feet away.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM

857 posts, read 975,845 times
The wheels on the bus go round and round.
Round and round. Round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round. Round and round.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Some dogs have been bred with certain instincts. With good training and a watchful eye they can become great pets. Too many people buy these big dogs bred especially for guarding or aggressiveness to look tough, or for status, then mistreat or ignore them. They don't understand what it takes in order to make sure dogs fit in normally...let alone dogs with more forceful instincts to protect, or for prey.

Signed - a Mastiff owner
well said. pitbulls, german shephards, doberman pinchers, rotweillers, mastiffs, and other large powerful breed dogs all require a firm hand from a human pack leader to keep them under proper control. but the people that own these dogs either dont have the knowledge, or are lazy, or dont set boundaries for the dogs.

and then the victims of attacks also contribute to the problem. instead of claiming their territory when these dogs approach, they tend to run away, thus becoming prey and making the dog more powerful psychologically.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said. pitbulls, german shephards, doberman pinchers, rotweillers, mastiffs, and other large powerful breed dogs all require a firm hand from a human pack leader to keep them under proper control. but the people that own these dogs either dont have the knowledge, or are lazy, or dont set boundaries for the dogs.

and then the victims of attacks also contribute to the problem. instead of claiming their territory when these dogs approach, they tend to run away, thus becoming prey and making the dog more powerful psychologically.

Pitbulls attack/kill more people than all the other breeds you mention....combined!

Honestly, if pitbulls went extinct, would anyone really notice or care? Unless you're into dogfighting, give me one good reason anyone would own a pitbull? There are plenty of dogs that are loyal, loving, etc but aren't like a loaded gun ready to go off.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Pitbulls attack/kill more people than all the other breeds you mention....combined!
Can you back that stance up with a link????

Old 09-19-2014, 09:42 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'd bet money on that not being true.

Quote:
Honestly, if pitbulls went extinct, would anyone really notice or care? Unless you're into dogfighting, give me one good reason anyone would own a pitbull? There are plenty of dogs that are loyal, loving, etc but aren't like a loaded gun ready to go off.
What purpose does any dog actually serve aside form enjoyment? Unless it's a hunting dog, odds are, it does nothing.

Pitbulls can be trained. It's not that hard so long as you know what you're doing. I wouldn't recomend a pit as your first dog, but pitbulls aren't necessarily any different than other dogs. Pitbulls have a natural tendency to be more aggressive, but all dogs have a tendency to be aggressive. It's in there nature and if you train them, there's no problem.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Where I'm currently residing I am surrounded by Pits and Pit owners. I don't like it. These cretins think its cool to make their dogs aggressive. " MY dog is BAD" is a pervasive attitude, and is most annoying. Its an interesting thing to note that almost all of these myriad Pit guys here bouts are mid twenty something, and so fat and sloppy they can't get out of their own way.

Shaved heads are the thing and numerous tattoos as well. They wear T shirts adorned with praise of biggness, as they lead their nasty tempered Pits about the neighborhood. These are the stereotypes that pervade peoples take on Pits. And I TOTALLY understand that.

I have a dog of my own. She is a Husky/Pieranease mix, large, but very timid. She's just a big silly girl dog that loves everyone. She doesn't even bark at strangers. She's also quite old, at 14. A clown that used to live across the street let his Pit out one evening, while I was playing with her. His dog saw us, and immediately charged, across the street, into MY yard, crashing full tilt into my chain link fence, trying to get at us. I hate to think of how that would have went without that fence.

The idiot rolls over and gets hold of the dog, not even acknowledging me standing there. The punk was actually smirking! Maybe if he knew how close he'd come to his POS mutt stopping a fullisade of 00 buck he wouldn't have been so amused. These types of owners, who project a desire to be a badass onto their dogs, are the issue. These idiots can't and will never be the formidable individual the dream they are, so they live, vicariously, through these animals.

I have seen Pits , who's owners are sane, normal, people, that are more likely to just drown you in slobber licking you than trying to kill you. Its NOT the dog!! Its the owners. I don't like Pits. I think they are an ugly canine. But I don't hate them. To each their own, but if your own means turning an ugly, powerful, dog into a killer, it better not spill over onto me n mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies