Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 06:11 AM

21,193 posts, read 19,803,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedknee View Post
Why would the inventor of Dynamite have a peace price named after him??
Nobel himself created the Peace Prize because he was afraid he would be remembered only for the destructive power of dynamite and not all the positive uses of it and the other 349 inventions of his.

Obama was given the Peace Prize because of his great accomplishments in international diplomacy, which he himself admitted he had none and didn't deserve the Prize.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 AM

39,896 posts, read 26,574,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Are you that seriously naive that you don't believe ISIS poses any threat to the United States, even when they have made it very clear that they intend to attack us? I think it would be very wise to take them seriously, as our borders are a sieve, and it is believed that hundreds of ISIS sympathizers are already in our country.

Not only that, but ISIS is a threat to all of Western civilization, which they have also vowed to destroy, and they have shown that they have the ability to attack anywhere they please. These people are nothing but savages, and they must be dealt with using as much military power as possible.

Personally, I think a nuclear bomb or two is in order. I don't know why we have these weapons if we never intend to use them, and the world knows it. They are not a deterrent if everyone knows you never intend to use them.
Then lets do somethnig sensible and secure our borders and restrict greatly who we allow in this country! Oh, and jail anyone in this country that has supported or ever gone and fought for ISIS for life as a traitor. Our limp-(edited) congress can't even pass a bill to strip citizenship from ISIS fighters.

We don't need to waste the lives of our people in the ME. If we ARE attacked, I agree, a nuke or two is a more appropriate response than making a few little craters in the desert.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You remind me of a question I have:

Back in WWII there were airplanes (propeller) that were fitted with machine guns or such, and the pilot could 'strafe' (if that is the word) troops massed on the ground. For the Allies it was a problem until they gained control of the skies over Europe.

Do we still have aircraft that perform that function? It would seem to be a cheaper way to hit enemy personnel on the ground, and, if in a ground convoy, do some real damage.
According to Pentagon, the bombing did some real damage.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then lets do somethnig sensible and secure our borders and restrict greatly who we allow in this country! Oh, and jail anyone in this country that has supported or ever gone and fought for ISIS for life as a traitor. Our limp-(edited) congress can't even pass a bill to strip citizenship from ISIS fighters.

We don't need to waste the lives of our people in the ME. If we ARE attacked, I agree, a nuke or two is a more appropriate response than making a few little craters in the desert.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rity-bill.html

Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 AM

17,475 posts, read 9,302,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Maybe, just maybe, unlike the US, they don't announce everything they plan to do?
It's not about "announcing everything they plan to do" -- it's about reporting on Air Strikes 3 hours after they began. The HuffPo link is pretty up-to-date. Apparently the US strikes (Jordan is the only GCC country so far that is admitting they participated) also hit al-Nusra targets. Israel shot down a Syrian plane that entered Israeli airspace - first time in 32 years that has happened.

Syria claims the US gave them advance notice - the US denies it. All seem to agree that the Iraqi FM was given a letter by Kerry to give to the Syrian FM. They will all parse their words/actions and jockey for position. Bashar al-Assad desperately wants to be part of the 'coalition' that attacks ISIS - he has 2 choices now. He can threaten to take the USA to the UN for condemnation over the strikes OR he can act like he is part of the coalition. At the end of the day, no matter what happens - Assad is likely to be the winner as his forces re-take the cities that the USA bombs.

US confirms 14 air strikes against Isis in Syria & latest developments - UK Guardian

They have some good maps that show the strikes.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 AM

29,615 posts, read 16,602,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

You want to nuke 500,000 innocent people to kill 30,000 terrorist ????

Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,748,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

bombs usually do a lot of damage!! whether it was the right targets? we will have to except the propaganda..

Old 09-23-2014, 06:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Sorry, but Candidate Obama Version 2.007 disagrees with you. There was no direct and imminent threat to the US, so therefore it was illegal to do without going through congress.

The law in fact backs up Candidate Obama's position and not President Obama's position as well.
Congress did in fact approve the NATO treaty. That treaty binds the US to act when member nations rerquest. Of course, there may be legal grounds for your position. But if that's the case, why hasn't the GOP congress brought charges? After all they've had plenty of time.

Perhaps they're not really so eager to carry out their often repeated impeachment threats.

Quote:
Is Barack Obama's Libya intervention a flip-flop from what he said in 2007? | PolitiFact

This position made people chant and faint back in 2008. Why are they so silent now? Because, they truly didn't care about issues they were just in love with Candidate Obama and love clouds rational thought.

There is no law that says if a NATO country requests help bombing a country not posing a direct and imminent threat to the US or any other NATO country that the president can strike without congress. Thank God you weren't around when France wanted us to nuke Vietnam in the 1950s. You would have been pushing Ike to nuke when he didn't want to.
Amusing.

Quote:
There is also no law that says that if a country violates a UN resolution while not posing a direct and imminent threat that the president can strike it without congress.

Bush had stronger legal reasons to go into Iraq without congress as Saddam broke the treaty with the US multiple times that said an instant state of war would resume and he broke countless UN resolutions, etc... - but Bush went through congress. Be honest...you wouldn't have approved of Bush not going through congress on Iraq. You approve of Obama hypocritically breaking campaign promises...because of your love for him and he has a D next to his name.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gregorydjohn...heories#iy1yho

This is what is wrong with our country - picking hypocritical positions based on what dreamy candidate from your party is currently swaying back and forth to.

This article will be important for you to read: Is Obama Really the 'Lesser of Two Evils'?*|*Chris Ernesto

"Obama supporters have been pacified as their president takes the United States further down an authoritarian, empire-building path. If Romney had been elected president, democrats would not be willfully ignorant, there would be public backlash, and peace would have a chance of prevailing."

St. Pete for Peace - Obama fact sheet
Still apologizing for Dubya.

Quote:
P.S. I do think ISIS is a direct threat.
A direct threat to Syria, Iraq, Saudi, Turkey, and Jordan. Who have more than sufficient strength to obliterate these barbarians w/o US involvement. For some strange reason, even though ISIS is right in their back yard, they just don't seem to be nearly as worked up about the whole thing as the media is trying to get the American public.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Probably didn't beat their "high score" though.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 AM

57,408 posts, read 26,334,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You remind me of a question I have:

Back in WWII there were airplanes (propeller) that were fitted with machine guns or such, and the pilot could 'strafe' (if that is the word) troops massed on the ground. For the Allies it was a problem until they gained control of the skies over Europe.

Do we still have aircraft that perform that function? It would seem to be a cheaper way to hit enemy personnel on the ground, and, if in a ground convoy, do some real damage.
I am sure there will be some opportunities to catch them in the open but at some point the fight will need to move into the cities where there is a civilian population.

Strange that Turkey did not participate last night, they have one of the largest forces in the area but I guess they are walking the line with their own nutty factions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies