Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
SUVs are a great example of market forces NOT being allowed to work. They have been subsidized from the beginning (as trucks, not cars, and giving businesses that buy them a tax break). They also are gas-guzzlers and unsafe to use as a commuter vehicle on freeways.
Really? Unsafe? Gas Guzzlers?

At what gas mileage are you saying they are "gas guzzlers" for instance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,446,249 times
Do your own research. I'm not going to argue with you. The Feds are raising mileage standards again. Why would they do that?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I totally expect over the next 25-30 years the population of the larger cities and their suburbs currently considered crime infested husks to deplete to historic lows as people flee to other "safer" cities with lower costs of living where they can purchase a home or condo right next to work.
Or the exact opposite may come to pass. In DC, it has been the case for a decade or more that people are flocking into those very crime-infested inner city wastelands and turning them into upscale havens of beautifully restored architecture and smart-growth modern development. This isn't much help to the poor who had been living in those neighborhoods, but as life with zero or very limited use of cars is entirely possible in such areas, they may end up being a lot more attractive going forward than what one might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
We NEED these horrible spikes in gas prices to help us get to a more sustainable culture. And that includes a lot more than new light bulbs, higher fuel efficiency, and smaller cars, it requires a fundamental rethinking in how we as Americans live, work, and play.
No, we would have been better off without the spikes, achieving the same (or even greater) overall increase in pump prices via a smooth and predictable process. Plans for using the federal excise tax on gasoline to drive just such a process were being developed 30 years ago. But Reagan junked them all. New morning in America and all that...

Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM

10 to 15 mpg (Lincoln Navigators, Hummers, etc.) is a gas guzzler. This is news to some of us on this board?

And some on this board don't read the results of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rollover tests.

What is it that those folks use the Internet for, anyway, to read FOX NEWS and World News Daily all day?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What about us poor people out here in the snow belt? (And PLEASE don't say huskies. The darn things eat a horse a day...)
Golf carts with chains?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Do your own research. I'm not going to argue with you. The Feds are raising mileage standards again. Why would they do that?
Doesn't matter what the fed say - I'm asking you - the person who has indicated that all SUV's are "gas guzzlers" - YOU said it

Let me give you an example - I own an SUV (actually 2) - both are Volvo XC90's. In town we get right about 25MPG - highway right around 29MPG. Would you consider these "gas guzzlers" by your standards?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,322,782 times
why do you say its a farce?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Ethanol as we know it today is a farce. Maybe if it can be procuced using engineered bacteria from garbage, but not now. Diesel from algae is a much more likely scenario.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Doesn't matter what the fed say - I'm asking you - the person who has indicated that all SUV's are "gas guzzlers" - YOU said it

Let me give you an example - I own an SUV (actually 2) - both are Volvo XC90's. In town we get right about 25MPG - highway right around 29MPG. Would you consider these "gas guzzlers" by your standards?

Hey, help us out here, what's the market share of Volvo SUVs? hahahaha

Volvo is a liberal's car anyway? Didn't you get the memo? hahahaha

Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Hey, help us out here, what's the market share of Volvo SUVs?
Hey - you stereotyped all SUV's Bubba - not I

You indicated ALL were gas guzzlers. All were unsafe. All were unsafe to be driven on the highways

Old 12-28-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Hey, help us out here, what's the market share of Volvo SUVs? hahahaha

Volvo is a liberal's car anyway? Didn't you get the memo?
Really? Most call me a neo-conservative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies