Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:02 AM

615 posts, read 726,183 times

Advertisements

Something I've started to realize now that I'm in the adult world is that there's a great proportion of the population that is useless. Heck -- only about 2/3 of working-age people even have jobs. The economy doesn't need as many workers as it used to. Among the people who do have jobs, many of them are employed as charity, really. Most government jobs are useless from a productivity standpoint; are disguised ways of transferring wealth and keeping the population busy so that it doesn't resort to crime or feel useless and depressed.

Thoughts?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Nobody on this Earth demanded to be born-and many of us don't think we were put on this Earth solely to work a corporate job that is productive for the colluded economy. If everyone just went along with the status-quo during the time they were born, humans would not have evolved at all.

You want less people, start with yourself.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Nobody on this Earth demanded to be born-and many of us don't think we were put on this Earth solely to work a corporate job that is productive for the colluded economy.

You want less people, start with yourself.
thats what i was about to say.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Something I've started to realize now that I'm in the adult world is that there's a great proportion of the population that is useless. Heck -- only about 2/3 of working-age people even have jobs. The economy doesn't need as many workers as it used to. Among the people who do have jobs, many of them are employed as charity, really. Most government jobs are useless from a productivity standpoint; are disguised ways of transferring wealth and keeping the population busy so that it doesn't resort to crime or feel useless and depressed.

Thoughts?
I think you need to get your hoe out....there's 23 Million acres of fallow farmland in Ohio.

Jimmy cracked corn, and I don't care...

Mircea

Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
How many people is an ideal number for you OP?

My solution is to become less dependent on centralized government, learn to care for ourselves, get off the grid. Self sufficiency is a good way to just disappear.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Well, the not so warm-and-fuzzy answer, yes. There are entirely too many people living upon the planet today, only made possible by the industrial revolution. All that the bloated population has achieved is to exponentially use up the finite resources available to us. We, humans, are a parasitic race that will shortly (in planetary time ) devour everything that we need for survival from out host, the earth. Our species didn't really last long in the grand scheme of things.

As for the "modern man" and his uselessness and mental problems caused by complex and highly regulated societies... the "unibomber" actually hit the nail on the head as far as the deleterious effects on the human psyche.

I think that it is obvious that "mankind" would be far better off it the population were only about 1% of its current size from both an economic and psychological point of view. Not that I in any way would like the idea of killing off 99% of the people, but we should definitely consider reducing reproduction as much as is possible if we plan to continue as a species for any significant period of time.

Just rambling.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Well, the not so warm-and-fuzzy answer, yes. There are entirely too many people living upon the planet today, only made possible by the industrial revolution. All that the bloated population has achieved is to exponentially use up the finite resources available to us. We, humans, are a parasitic race that will shortly (in planetary time ) devour everything that we need for survival from out host, the earth. Our species didn't really last long in the grand scheme of things.

As for the "modern man" and his uselessness and mental problems caused by complex and highly regulated societies... the "unibomber" actually hit the nail on the head as far as the deleterious effects on the human psyche.

I think that it is obvious that "mankind" would be far better off it the population were only about 1% of its current size from both an economic and psychological point of view. Not that I in any way would like the idea of killing off 99% of the people, but we should definitely consider reducing reproduction as much as is possible if we plan to continue as a species for any significant period of time.

Just rambling.
I agree with what you are saying,but no human being is "surplus"..well...maybe politicians,but....

Old 09-23-2014, 11:59 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Yeah, technically there's a surplus. But that's doesn't have to be the case. The surplus is dependent on out strictly run corporate economy. Change that system, and a surplus of workers isn't an issue. The real issue with the world's rapidly increasing population is recourse usage (and waste). For example, there's more than enough food to feed the world, but plenty of it is thrown away. I believe the average American throws away nearly 25% of all the food they purchase. There are a lot of Americans, and we're likely not the only country with this problem.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:04 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
In theory, the economy should expand to accommodate population growth. When it became socially acceptable for women to work, there was no huge crisis in employment.

But I would say that overall yes, there is an unnaturally large amount of people on this planet, and it's putting a strain on the ecosystems.

But no one really deserves to be here any more than anyone else and I really don't think that having a job or making money is any measure of worth.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
No problem, mankind has found ways of dealing with the "Surplus" it is call War, coming to a theater near you any day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies