Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
I cannot comment on other states, Hawaii is special, I agree with you. you need to educate yourself more is all... come to the light.....
I do not dispute that Hawaii was annexed, I know some of Hawaii's history. The point is, it does not make any difference.

All protesting does at this point is cause people to go "Oh gee, I guess we screwed over the Hawaiians like we screwed over the Sioux, Cherokee, Arapaho, Pueblo, Crow, Apache, and numerous other tribes and cultures to get where we are today."

Then what?

If you think Hawaii will ever leave US control, you are sadly mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
All protesting does is heighten public awareness, at best. Even then, only temporarily. Protesting has never once got a law repealed.

Like it or not, in the real world "might makes right." If I cannot defend my property either by might or by the law, then I really cannot claim it is my property.

The law says Hawaii is not just the property of the US, but also a US State. Alaska is no different in that respect. However, instead of being taken by force Alaska was bought from Russia, regardless of what the inhabitants of Alaska at the time wanted. They were not even consulted. Nevertheless, Alaska became US property and then a US State.

Instead of complaining about what was lost, take a look at what was gained.
I think it would depend on the definition of protesting here. Laws do get changed because people object/protest. Getting an impartial court can be a problem, of course.

People have far more power than any government, if they so choose. Government is a construct created by people.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I think it would depend on the definition of protesting here. Laws do get changed because people object/protest. Getting an impartial court can be a problem, of course.

People have far more power than any government, if they so choose. Government is a construct created by people.
What law has ever been enacted, changed, or repealed, as a result of protesting? Please be specific.

Even the MLK marches during the mid- to late-1960s had absolutely no effect on any existing law, nor were any new laws enacted as a result. Just to remind you, the Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964, before MLK started his marches in 1965.

I certainly do not wish to infringe on anyone's right to freely assemble and peacefully protest any issue they desire. I just find protests to be a waste of time and completely ineffective.

If I want to raise awareness of an issue, I join a suitable PAC that lobbies Congress to express my point of view.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
What law has ever been enacted, changed, or repealed, as a result of protesting? Please be specific.

Even the MLK marches during the mid- to late-1960s had absolutely no effect on any existing law, nor were any new laws enacted as a result. Just to remind you, the Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964, before MLK started his marches in 1965.

I certainly do not wish to infringe on anyone's right to freely assemble and peacefully protest any issue they desire. I just find protests to be a waste of time and completely ineffective.

If I want to raise awareness of an issue, I join a suitable PAC that lobbies Congress to express my point of view.
That is why I mentioned definition. You are perceiving protest, as in marches. This is not what the word means. Certainly not what I meant. Protest is to disapprove or oppose what is being presented.

protest legal definition of protest
Protest A formal declaration whereby a person expresses a personal objection or disapproval of an act.

object legal definition of object
Object As a verb, to take exception to something; to declare or express the belief that something is improper or illegal.As a noun, the thing sought to be accomplished or attained; aim; purpose; intention.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
That is why I mentioned definition. You are perceiving protest, as in marches. This is not what the word means. Certainly not what I meant. Protest is to disapprove or oppose what is being presented.

protest legal definition of protest
Protest A formal declaration whereby a person expresses a personal objection or disapproval of an act.

object legal definition of object
Object As a verb, to take exception to something; to declare or express the belief that something is improper or illegal.As a noun, the thing sought to be accomplished or attained; aim; purpose; intention.
As I suspected, you cannot answer my question because there has never been a law enacted, changed, or repealed as a result of any protest. No matter how you want to define it.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
As I suspected, you cannot answer my question because there has never been a law enacted, changed, or repealed as a result of any protest. No matter how you want to define it.
What? You are really trying to say that people don't get laws changed? Every law gets changed because someone disagrees with it and objects/protest. If everyone agreed and no party objected, of course, nothing would change. The whole judicial system is based on this.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
What? You are really trying to say that people don't get laws changed? Every law gets changed because someone disagrees with it and objects/protest. If everyone agreed and no party objected, of course, nothing would change. The whole judicial system is based on this.
You still have not answered my question:
"What law has ever been enacted, changed, or repealed, as a result of protesting? Please be specific."
No, people do not get laws changed as a result of protests. That is precisely my point.

Laws are changed for a wide variety of reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with any protest. It is sheer fantasy to believe that protesting changes anything. In order to effect change one must work within the system, not buck the system by protesting.

The more you continue to obfuscate, the more you make my point.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
You still have not answered my question:
"What law has ever been enacted, changed, or repealed, as a result of protesting? Please be specific."
No, people do not get laws changed as a result of protests. That is precisely my point.

Laws are changed for a wide variety of reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with any protest. It is sheer fantasy to believe that protesting changes anything. In order to effect change one must work within the system, not buck the system by protesting.

The more you continue to obfuscate, the more you make my point.
I already addressed this. You are trying to claim a particular definition of protest, one I clarified earlier. I have obfuscated nothing. You made up your own definition and applied it despite clarification.

Let's try this, lol.
What law has not been enacted, changed, or repealed, as a result of protesting? Please be specific.

All laws are changed because someone objects/protest or disagrees with the law. That is how laws get made or changed. Your original comment makes no sense.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It must also be pointed out that the OP is of the opinion, looking at his or her earlier postings, that "The Apology Resolution" of 1993, passed by Congress and signed by President Clinton, means that Hawaii is not a 'state' within the United States, and that said Apology recognized that the native Hawaiian people have unrelinquished claims over the ceded lands.

However, the US Supreme Court utterly disagreed.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/08pdf/07-1372.pdf

The Court noted that the 37 'whereas' found in said Apology do not have the force of law. Here is the Apology Resolution, for those interested:

THE APOLOGY - United States Public Law 103-150

I believe the OP, while not necessarily a 'birther', took the viewpoint that since Hawaii is not a state, then, by necessity, President Obama was not born in the United States.

excellent factual post. Thank you.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
excellent factual post. Thank you.
This link seemed to have a great deal of information and documentation.
Hawaiian Kingdom - The U.S. Occupation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies