Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:43 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times

Advertisements

To those who advocate for a "living wage" how do you determine what a living wage should be for different types of jobs and people of different educational/job skill levels?

What should be a living wage for a janitor,a construction worker,an auto mechanic,security guard,cashier etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who advocate for a "living wage" how do you determine what a living wage should be for different types of jobs and people of different educational/job skill levels?

What should be a living wage for a janitor,a construction worker,an auto mechanic,security guard,cashier etc?

You cannot give value to titles. You have to first define what the actual "job" is. People should be compensated for the value of their time based on the value their labor brings to their employer.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
My only argument is for minimum wage to be the minimum amount needed for subsistence without taxpayer subsidy. We have economists to figure out the numbers as to what it would be.

My gut feeling as of now leans to $12-$14 / hour or so currently, but like I said an economist could figure that out better than me.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 PM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
My only argument is for minimum wage to be the minimum amount needed for subsistence without taxpayer subsidy. We have economists to figure out the numbers as to what it would be.

My gut feeling as of now leans to $12-$14 / hour or so currently, but like I said an economist could figure that out better than me.
Then what does your gut say about the person living in Manhattan, Menlo Park/Palo Alto, or NW Washington DC? What if they have kids? Just tell me what your gut says. What's a liveable wage for them?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Using public resources in the means of production by claiming sole ownership is illegitamate and immoral.

Unregulated, freeD markets will determine what Man A will exchange with Man B on their own accord.

Anything less is force, aggression, and theft.

All of the following posts will ignore this fact as folks argue the best way for Peter to rob Paul while not realizing the fact that robbery is immoral.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:27 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

All jobs aren't meant for to provide a living. Some are just there to provide extra income or spending money.

So a small mom and pop is suppose to pay the 16 year old kid working in the summer a wage to support himself? Is that what you are saying?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
Any rational person already knows what people should be paid. It is the amount that others are voluntarily willing to pay them...

Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
"Living wage" is essentially nonsense.

If you agree to accept the wage being offered by an employer, that's good enough.

Some jobs are meant to be for students, retirees or as second or even third jobs. They aren't meant to fund raising a family.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Then what does your gut say about the person living in Manhattan, Menlo Park/Palo Alto, or NW Washington DC? What if they have kids? Just tell me what your gut says. What's a liveable wage for them?
Federal minimum wage is a minimum wage floor. Those municipalities can raise their minimum wage to higher levels, as many have done already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
All jobs aren't meant for to provide a living. Some are just there to provide extra income or spending money.
Yes, they are. Brush up on the historical context of FSLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
So a small mom and pop is suppose to pay the 16 year old kid working in the summer a wage to support himself? Is that what you are saying?
If they are qualified to earn a minimum wage position I see no reason why this is a problem. Most minimum wage earners are not teenagers, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Any rational person already knows what people should be paid. It is the amount that others are voluntarily willing to pay them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
"Living wage" is essentially nonsense.

If you agree to accept the wage being offered by an employer, that's good enough.
So if you are unemployed and your choice is between jobless and $1 / hour, which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
"
Some jobs are meant to be for students, retirees or as second or even third jobs. They aren't meant to fund raising a family.
Where on earth did you get this idea?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,826 times
You can keep spinning this any way you want. In the end it boils down to the fact that minimum wage is supposed to be a cushion. No one was meant to LIVE on minimum wage.

What ever happened to the American dream ? what happened to having a work ethic, working for your family ... improving yourself to get ahead ? Too many people expect to have their lives paid for, thinking they are entitled to all the latest, greatest gadgets and best of everything. These people need to get off their x-box's .. get off their PS3's and get their lazy asses to work !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies