Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:20 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Bob Owens at Bearing Arms digs up yet another harrowing tale involving Second Amendment rights. A Las Vegas woman (who does not wish to be identified) had been the target of stalking by a former acquaintance for several months, facing intimidation and threats of physical violence by her deranged, would be suitor. Fearing for her life, she obtained a weapon to defend herself and learned to keep it with her at all times in her home. This week her tormentor, Douglas Eugene Jackson, decided to make good on his threats. As the local news station somewhat dryly reports, he encountered an unexpected surprise.
The woman shared her story on social media:

Quote:
I awoke around 1:15 am to the sound of the door giving way after one kick followed by the sounds of my stalker struggling to dislodge the chair while forcing his way inside. I jumped up and grabbed the gun I’ve learned to do everything even shower with.

I stood at the top of my stairs and fired twice. Hitting him in the chest, I hear his scream, his disbelief that I’d stood up for myself.. 0 to 100 in milliseconds. I’ve never been so afraid in my life. I do not know if he is living, but I do know the police have him and that’s what helps the most.

For months of him evading the police I began to question whether he was unstoppable. Untraceable. Houdini, he would murder me and get away with it. As of now I’m in a haze of guilt, surprise, relief and disbelief. I shook as the canines drag him out from his hiding place under a bush. I survived, where so many people do not. Holy ****, I survived.
Link: Stalking victim exercises Second Amendment rights on tormentor « Hot Air

How many times does this play out in America? Probably hundreds if not thousands; you just never hear about it in the mainstream media.

The bigger point here is that guns really are an equalizer for law-abiding folks, especially women, who might not be able to protect themselves without a gun. I think the right to own and carry a weapon to protect yourself really is a civil rights issue. Certainly it is much wiser than depending on the police to arrive in time to save you. Why is it that the left continues to wage war on guns and women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Ok, lets get something straight.

The percentage of people who would like to outlaw all guns, for all reasons, in all places, is about as high as the number of people who would like to outlaw blacks from voting.

So lets just start right there with this reality. There is no "war on guns". There are people, who have rationally thought this through, who do not believe that you, I, or anyone else should own assault weapons, that we should own a gun magazine that holds 30 rounds, and that people should have mental health checks before buying a gun from anyone, licensed dealer or private sale.

That is not a war on guns. That is not a war on women. Now, if your state decides to pass a law that goes against the second amendment, shoot for the moon, file a lawsuit, let the highest court in the land decide. I support gun ownership. I support concealed carry. I support men and women who feel like they need a gun for home defense to buy one. I just want to make sure they know how to use it correctly, that they aren't going to paint their heads read and walk into a movie theater and kill a bunch of people with them, and that if they do, they don't have the capacity to kill 30 folks before reloading. Because if they have 10 rounds, and use all of them, I'm coming up from behind my seat, and I only need one to stop the madness.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

The percentage of people who would like to outlaw all guns, for all reasons, in all places, is about as high as the number of people who would like to outlaw blacks from voting.

So lets just start right there with this reality. There is no "war on guns". There are people, who have rationally thought this through, who do not believe that you, I, or anyone else should own assault weapons, that we should own a gun magazine that holds 30 rounds, and that people should have mental health checks before buying a gun from anyone, licensed dealer or private sale.

That is not a war on guns. That is not a war on women. Now, if your state decides to pass a law that goes against the second amendment, shoot for the moon, file a lawsuit, let the highest court in the land decide. I support gun ownership. I support concealed carry. I support men and women who feel like they need a gun for home defense to buy one. I just want to make sure they know how to use it correctly, that they aren't going to paint their heads read and walk into a movie theater and kill a bunch of people with them, and that if they do, they don't have the capacity to kill 30 folks before reloading. Because if they have 10 rounds, and use all of them, I'm coming up from behind my seat, and I only need one to stop the madness.
Criminals don't and won't follow all the restrictions on gun rights that you want. So your claim to be in support of gun rights rings hollow. You want one set of rules for people who follow the law and another for the criminals. You want law abiding citizens to be at a disadvantage or face criminal prosecution by the state.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
There is no war on guns and there is no war on women.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Criminals don't and won't follow all the restrictions on gun rights that you want. So your claim to be in support of gun rights rings hollow. You want one set of rules for people who follow the law and another for the criminals. You want law abiding citizens to be at a disadvantage or face criminal prosecution by the state.
I know criminals don't obey the law, but we do have laws in place that makes it harder for them to break the law.

Thats just common in our justice system. Its common sense. We don't legalize murder because, criminals are going to murder people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There is no war on guns and there is no war on women.
Can you let the Democrats know that so they stop acting like it? Thanks in advance.

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Tee-hee. OK Keyboard warrior tell us how badass you are. When rounds are flying downrange there are very few people who'll standup... very very few. What was the magazine capacity for the Asian kid who smoked all those students at VT? How many times did he reload? He had mostly 10 round magazines (and some 15 round magazines). Everyone that tells me (a US Marine machinegunner) what they would do when bullets start flying needs to get shot at a few times. Just so you can feel what its like and you can quit insulting the rest of us with your delusions of granduer.

Good grief life ain't a movie you sound like some of the complete whack jobs who inhabit 2A boards on the internet. Toughest people they've ever met.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Tee-hee. OK Keyboard warrior tell us how badass you are. When rounds are flying downrange there are very few people who'll standup... very very few. What was the magazine capacity for the Asian kid who smoked all those students at VT? How many times did he reload? He had mostly 10 round magazines (and some 15 round magazines). Everyone that tells me (a US Marine machinegunner) what they would do when bullets start flying needs to get shot at a few times. Just so you can feel what its like and you can quit insulting the rest of us with your delusions of granduer.

Good grief life ain't a movie you sound like some of the complete whack jobs who inhabit 2A boards on the internet. Toughest people they've ever met.
I have been shot at, on more then one occasion. Yes, I know exactly how I handle gunfire.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Can you let the Democrats know that so they stop acting like it? Thanks in advance.
Lose your tongue? Why don't you do that yourself? Seriously WTF do I care ..

Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Bosak View Post
I think there is a war on cops. Anyone hear of the Ferguson cop shot this weekend? Or the other Ferguson cop shot this weekend. Nah, of course not. Does not fit neatly into mainstream media's agenda.
Yes...everyone has heard it...over and over again...what's your point?

As for "the war on[add name here],its just more rw crap to excite a stupid base...there is no war on coal,women,christmas etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies