Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:14 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,762,516 times

Advertisements

Once again, people voting against high taxes with their feet.
-----------------------------
The Northeast, once the nation’s political engine that produced presidents, House speakers and Senate giants including the late Edward M. Kennedy, is losing clout in Washington as citizens flee the high-tax region, according to experts worried about the trend.

The Census Bureau reports that population growth has shifted to the South and the result is that the 11 states that make up the Northeast are being bled dry of representation in Washington.

Critics blame rising taxes in states such as Massachusetts and Connecticut for limiting population growth in the Northeast to just 15 percent from 1983 to 2013, while the rest of the nation grew more than 41 percent.

The biggest impact comes in the loss of congressional representation.

Deep in a recent report, for example, the American Legislative Exchange Council tabulated how the drop in population relative to the rest of the nation cut the region’s power in Washington. While the states from Pennsylvania to Maine had 141 House members in 1950, they are down to 85 today, a drop of some 40 percent.

Northeast loses 40% of House seats as people flee high-tax states | WashingtonExaminer.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 04:23 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,745,493 times
It's a no-brainer...it is counter-productive to live somewhere that sucks you dry in taxation, has a high cost of living, and from what I remember of the city I grew up in, Philadelphia, is a cesspool of the lowest common denominator that cannot escape the city. I visited a while back and whole swaths of the city looked closer to something you would see in a third-world nation not America. Lines of cars backed up at drug corners....like a drive through...no lie...hilarious.

Funny, it seems that people are being charged extra to live in filth, crime, and chaos of large cities in the northeast.

Last edited by irspow; 09-30-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 04:43 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,554,139 times
A couple of things to point out
-The Northeast actually added at least a few million people in the past decade
-The Northeast peaked in power at least a few decades back (like pre WWII)
-A lot of the shift in power from the northeast actually had much to do with federal government money leaving the northeast and being pumped into the economies of other regions (New Deal, WWII, Interstate Highway Act, etc)
-furthermore, the Northeast was actually in alot worse shape a few decades ago (New York State Actually Lost population in the 1970s)

Old 09-30-2014, 04:44 PM

433 posts, read 291,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
It's a no-brainer...it is counter-productive to live somewhere that sucks you dry in taxation, has a high cost of living, and from what I remember of the city I grew up in, Philadelphia, is a cesspool of the lowest common denominator that cannot escape the city. I visited a while back and whole swaths of the city looked closer to something you would see in a third-world nation not America. Lines of cars backed up at drug corners....like a drive through...no lie...hilarious.

Funny, it seems that people are being charged extra to live in filth, crime, and chaos of large cities in the northeast.
Only problem is they move and vote for them same failed ideas and repeat the same failures as they did in the North East...They are like Locusts.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 PM

27,163 posts, read 15,341,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
-A lot of the shift in power from the northeast actually had much to do with federal government money leaving the northeast and being pumped into the economies of other regions (New Deal, WWII, Interstate Highway Act, etc)
-furthermore, the Northeast was actually in alot worse shape a few decades ago (New York State Actually Lost population in the 1970s)

New York lost a net 1.6 million residents to other states between 2000 and 2010, according to 2010 Census data.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:50 PM

59,164 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
New York LOST 2 SEATS in the House of Representatives after the last Census.

SC gained 1 seat. Texas gained I seat, I believe. NC was within a hairs breathe of gaining 1 seat.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:50 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,745,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Only problem is they move and vote for them same failed ideas and repeat the same failures as they did in the North East...They are like Locusts.
True, and I was really referring to the large cities, which are all pretty disgusting wherever they occur in the country. The thread is really about States so I was a bit off the path. I cannot think of any large city that I'd like to live in at this point. "Convenience" is just not worth the taxation, crime, and filth.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
New York lost a net 1.6 million residents to other states between 2000 and 2010, according to 2010 Census data.
False, they actually gained about 400,000 residents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York

Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
True, and I was really referring to the large cities, which are all pretty disgusting wherever they occur in the country. The thread is really about States so I was a bit off the path. I cannot think of any large city that I'd like to live in at this point. "Convenience" is just not worth the taxation, crime, and filth.
What a shame people feel that way about big cities, oh well have fun in your sterile looking Kitsch Culture less subdivision. Lucky the latest generations happen to disagree with you.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 PM

433 posts, read 291,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
3 EC points and most of them were high income earners...Losing wealth and power..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies