Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:21 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,549,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Not really most of my generation wants rural to suburban.

Millennials: A Powerful, Suburban Living Generation | Newgeography.com
I don't know what liar wrote this article, but I cant think of more than 3 people I know out of about 200 and something that are younger than 35 who want to live anywhere but within a city. And pretty soon, as they should, you're going to start getting charged what it costs to live as far out as you do (IE your utilities are going to go up and the cost of highways and roads out of the cities is going to go way up)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,803,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think the population shift has a lot more to do with the COL than the taxes. Alabama taxes your income at a flat 5% and Illinois taxes all income at 5% (which should expire and drop down to 3.75%), but the COL is much higher in Illinois. Maryland has a lower tax rate than Kentucky or AR, but the COL is significantly higher.
COL state by state

Maybe the liberal states should have been colored red, since they bleed their citizens dry. I know, I live in Cali.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,277,311 times
Quote:
The South or South West, where the cost of living is lower and stranded of living is higher.
The COL is lower, but the standard of living is not necessarily higher since your income drops, poverty increases, the schools are worse, and the murder rate increases. That said, $100K will go farther in MS than MA, but you have to live in MS.

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

Quote:
Police can not be as the abuse of power would happen and it would not end well...Anything else you beat your ass it should and will be....

Yes it does, they have to compete and if they can not someone else comes along and fills it.
On numerous occasions, private tolls operators raised rates immediately after taking control of toll roads.

WI found 60% of outsourced engineering projects could be done cheaper in house.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/LAB/repor...eering_ltr.pdf

Chicago privatized parking meters which led to meter rates increasing by as much as 4X and led to complaints from merchants that their business suffered due to the increased rates.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=1098561

Old 09-30-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
COL state by state

Maybe the liberal states should have been colored red, since they bleed their citizens dry. I know, I live in Cali.
So your point is that I was correct?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:10 PM

433 posts, read 291,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I don't know what liar wrote this article, but I cant think of more than 3 people I know out of about 200 and something that are younger than 35 who want to live anywhere but within a city. And pretty soon, as they should, you're going to start getting charged what it costs to live as far out as you do (IE your utilities are going to go up and the cost of highways and roads out of the cities is going to go way up)
And that is a good thing?

"As they should" can not stand the idea of other not living as you want cant you?

Also he is not a liar he a best seller...

Old 09-30-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The COL is lower, but the standard of living is not necessarily higher since your income drops, poverty increases, the schools are worse, and the murder rate increases. That said, $100K will go farther in MS than MA, but you have to live in MS.

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

On numerous occasions, private tolls operators raised rates immediately after taking control of toll roads.

WI found 60% of outsourced engineering projects could be done cheaper in house.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/LAB/repor...eering_ltr.pdf

Chicago privatized parking meters which led to meter rates increasing by as much as 4X and led to complaints from merchants that their business suffered due to the increased rates.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=1098561
No, not MS why not Texas? Or Nevada, or Utah? Why not be honest, but then again you are a leftist.

That is by state, why not take it done to county levels?

http://rare.us/story/exploding-the-l...d-state-myths/

http://rare.us/story/conservatives-l...t-the-numbers/

Troll roads with a elected completion or solely owned?

That is Chicago, did anything thing that would not happen?

Yes they could have, but why did they not have it done in house?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,964,593 times
I think weather and climate have more to do with it.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
No, not MS why not Texas? Or Nevada, or Utah? Why not be honest,
I chose MS because it is the cheapest state, but the same could be said for NV, TX, AZ, TN, KY, FL, GA, SC, AL, AR, or any number of other states.

Quote:
but then again you are a leftist.
Ya, okay.

Quote:
That is by state, why not take it done to county levels?
That is much more time consuming, difficult to do, and doesn't change my overall point.

Quote:
Troll roads with a elected completion or solely owned?
I'm not sure what you mean. There is always an option to take the public road unless you are going over a toll bridge or to an airport with no public access.

Quote:
That is Chicago, did anything thing that would not happen?
Raising rates is not limited to Chicago. The rates in Indianapolis increased after they privatized their system. I'm really not sure why you think Chicago should be an exception though. A private company was given management rights over the meters. Naturally, they raised rates, but they would have done the same no matter where they were located.

Quote:
Yes they could have, but why did they not have it done in house?
WI outsourced the work thinking it would save them money. After they conducted an audit they found 60% of the work would have been cheaper to do in house. Your claim that privatizing is always cheaper doesn't bear fruit.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:39 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,414,703 times
Quote:
Only problem is they move and vote for them same failed ideas and repeat the same failures as they did in the North East...They are like Locusts.
yep.

Just like section 8 housing. They love to prop up someone for it cause it makes em feel good like helping someone, as long as its in your neighborhood not theirs. A section 8 house where grass grows 4 foot tall, drugs are sold and 8 tenants live when only a single family is suppose to is ok as long as its away from their front window view.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I chose MS because it is the cheapest state, but the same could be said for NV, TX, AZ, TN, KY, FL, GA, SC, AL, AR, or any number of other states.

Ya, okay.

That is much more time consuming, difficult to do, and doesn't change my overall point.

I'm not sure what you mean. There is always an option to take the public road unless you are going over a toll bridge or to an airport with no public access.

Raising rates is not limited to Chicago. The rates in Indianapolis increased after they privatized their system. I'm really not sure why you think Chicago should be an exception though. A private company was given management rights over the meters. Naturally, they raised rates, but they would have done the same no matter where they were located.

WI outsourced the work thinking it would save them money. After they conducted an audit they found 60% of the work would have been cheaper to do in house. Your claim that privatizing is always cheaper doesn't bear fruit.
No, it proves it wrong..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies