Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:20 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,085,957 times

Advertisements

FL gained 2, GA gained 1, TX gained 4......

IL lost 1, IA lost 1, LA lost 1, MI lost 1......

It's all here: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-08.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
New York LOST 2 SEATS in the House of Representatives after the last Census.

SC gained 1 seat. Texas gained I seat, I believe. NC was within a hairs breathe of gaining 1 seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,290,795 times
I think the population shift has a lot more to do with the COL than the taxes. Alabama taxes your income at a flat 5% and Illinois taxes all income at 5% (which should expire and drop down to 3.75%), but the COL is much higher in Illinois. Maryland has a lower tax rate than Kentucky or AR, but the COL is significantly higher.

AL 5% on income above $3K
State taxes: Alabama

IL flat 5%
State taxes: Illinois | Bankrate.com

6% sales tax, 5.75% on income above $250K for MD vs 6% on income above $75K for KY.
State taxes: Kentucky | Bankrate.com
State taxes: Maryland | Bankrate.com

AR 7% on income above $34.6K.
State taxes: Arkansas | Bankrate.com

Old 09-30-2014, 05:33 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,654,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think the population shift has a lot more to do with the COL than the taxes. Alabama taxes your income at a flat 5% and Illinois taxes all income at 5% (which should expire and drop down to 3.75%), but the COL is much higher in Illinois. Maryland has a lower tax rate than Kentucky or AR, but the COL is significantly higher.

AL 5% on income above $3K
State taxes: Alabama

IL flat 5%
State taxes: Illinois | Bankrate.com

6% sales tax, 5.75% on income above $250K for MD vs 6% on income above $75K for KY.
State taxes: Kentucky | Bankrate.com
State taxes: Maryland | Bankrate.com

AR 7% on income above $34.6K.
State taxes: Arkansas | Bankrate.com
That's good information when it comes to state income taxes, but I think outrageous local property taxes are even more of the problematic issue in the Northeast. I'm floored when I hear how much people are paying in property taxes of modest little bungalow style homes (especially around the NYC metro- Long Island, New Jersey, et. al.). In some cases, people are paying $10K and up on a modest little home, which is more than a mortgage payment on a small home is in much of the US. And many times, these aren't people with six figure salaries, but elderly people who have lived in their homes for years. This makes it so difficult for them to make ends meet that I can't blame them for looking for a better situation, but it's sad when they're forced out of their homes because costs rise so much faster than their ability to pay. I just hope this same situation doesn't spread to other parts of the country.

10 States With the Highest Property Taxes in America

Old 09-30-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's good information when it comes to state income taxes, but I think outrageous local property taxes are even more of the problematic issue in the Northeast. I'm floored when I hear how much people are paying in property taxes of modest little bungalow style homes (especially around the NYC metro- Long Island, New Jersey, et. al.). In some cases, people are paying $10K and up on a modest little home, which is more than a mortgage payment on a small home is in much of the US. And many times, these aren't people with six figure salaries, but elderly people who have lived in their homes for years. This makes it so difficult for them to make ends meet that I can't blame them for looking for a better situation, but it's sad. I just hope this same situation doesn't spread to other parts of the country.

10 States With the Highest Property Taxes in America
Property taxes are difficult to compare because they are so often local and used to fund local things like police, fire, schools, hospitals, etc and most of the good schools are located in the NE. If you could buy a nice $200K house in these NE states I don't think people would be leaving, but you can't. That said, you will spend more in the NE for taxes. The higher COL means the public sector needs a higher salary, then you have snow to plow, union contracts, and universities to fund.

Interestingly, and OT, Newsweek came out with their school rankings and IL, NY, NJ, CA and the rest of the NE dominated the top of the list. TX, AZ, and CO had a couple of spots in the top 100.

http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools...p-schools-2014

Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 PM

433 posts, read 291,816 times
Quote:
Property taxes are difficult to compare because they are so often local and used to fund local things like police, fire, schools, hospitals, etc and most of the good schools are located in the NE. If you could buy a nice $200K house in these NE states I don't think people would be leaving, but you can't. That said, you will spend more in the NE for taxes. The higher COL means the public sector needs a higher salary, then you have snow to plow, union contracts, and universities to fund.

Interestingly, and OT, Newsweek came out with their school rankings and IL, NY, NJ, CA and the rest of the NE dominated the top of the list. TX, AZ, and CO had a couple of spots in the top 100.

http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools...p-schools-2014
Well you are seeing the outcome, those that can not afford it or do not want to, leave..

I wonder how much money could be save if those things were privatized.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,263,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
OK, I guess if you're in the country, then your opinion is more reasonable. though I have to ask, why are you on a site specifically called CITYdata?
What?! Lots of small town information on C-D and C-D forums.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,921,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post

Only problem is they move and vote for them same failed ideas and repeat the same failures as they did in the North East...They are like Locusts.
You can take the people out of the northeast but you can't take the stupid out of the people.

Locusts are better than the cockroaches you imply.

The really mind nimbing aspect is most of those who move away are rich and white. The reasons they moved away from where they were is due to policies of the trash representation they have been voting into office for decades. They set up new digs in a liveable atmosphere and want the same brand of representation? : smack:

They should be charged $5K annual per head for passing GO. And for bringing the IQ of the new state down quite a few notches.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well you are seeing the outcome, those that can not afford it or do not want to, leave..
Yes, that tends to happen. Hence, why poor people leave for the south.

Quote:
I wonder how much money could be save if those things were privatized.
Like what? Private fire, police, libraries, zoos, and hospitals? I'm sure some of those functions can be cut, but that's for local voters to decide. Privatizing doesn't always lead to lowers costs though.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You can take the people out of the northeast but you can't take the stupid out of the people.

Locusts are better than the cockroaches you imply.

The really mind nimbing aspect is most of those who move away are rich and white. The reasons they moved away from where they were is due to policies of the trash representation they have been voting into office for decades. They set up new digs in a liveable atmosphere and want the same brand of representation? : smack:

They should be charged $5K annual per head for passing GO. And for bringing the IQ of the new state down quite a few notches.
That is so damn true....

Filth creates Filth....

If you are a leftist, do not let them in the new state, you want to set your home state on fire? You should be forced to stay in the Hell of your creation...

I guess the upside is once they move and most states look like the North East or Commieforina a few of the free states that are left will Secede, they will go great, and the others will be force to get smart or get left behind..Or a Civil War starts...

Old 09-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, that tends to happen. Hence, why poor people leave for the south.

Like what? Private fire, police, libraries, zoos, and hospitals? I'm sure some of those functions can be cut, but that's for local voters to decide. Privatizing doesn't always lead to lowers costs though.

The South or South West, where the cost of living is lower and stranded of living is higher.

Police can not be as the abuse of power would happen and it would not end well...Anything else you beat your ass it should and will be....

Yes it does, they have to compete and if they can not someone else comes along and fills it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies