Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 05:33 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times

Advertisements

I don't think so. I live in New York City and we don't have this nonsense here and that's why NYC is safer than Dallas and Houston and ny state is safer than Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
uhhhh.... don't look now but concealed carry IS legal in some form in ALL 50 states now, and most states are categorized as "permissive" about issuing the permits.

You can now carry a concealed weapon in all 50 states - Ciara McCarthy - Newsday

The HORROR!!!

Just think.... You probably pass by people carrying guns every day and don't even know it.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Then I think we have 2 separate ideas that we cannot come together in some sort of middle ground. But I feel we could with further debate. You may like some of my position and like wise with your train of thought. I do apologize for not fully knowing your back ground. Sounds like you have some very good life experiences. (You Should write a book)

Most people in a modern sociality do not need to pack heat to get gas around the corner. I think gun owners have a little more sense, than what you give them.

Although I find it comforting having a side arm running 4WD in the desert. (Exploring) The Southern Arizona area around Nogales, Tombstone and Bisbee has many smugglers and it is wise to be mindful of the danger.

Good debate Sir!
Hey Ghosty; no apology is required at all. I spent the first few winters of my retirement scooting around the desert with American friends near Yuma, lots of old copper mines to explore there. We used to saddle up a bunch of ATV rigs and about twenty of us take a load of stuff out to "the tanks" (natural rock hollowed out and used as watering stops for early wagon trains) fire up a huge stone BBQ chimney someone built, and spend the evening into the night out there partying and stargazing.

At least 5 or 6 of the folks would be armed and I don't recall any arguments stemming from anybody about the carrying of guns.

I have bumped into any number of people throughout life who have never seen a shooting star and I have told them all: one evening spent in the Arizona desert would more than fill their lifetime quota. I also know what it's like to be reclining under a tarp with a nearby fire and a hot mug of spruce tea, just under the line where the next step north would have me in a territory rather than a province, listening to wolves howling and watching the Northern lights put on an hours long show.

We used to snowbird with a 40' fifth wheel and International Toter carrying a Harley in a barn behind the cab and have stayed in all the areas of the southwest you've mentioned including Mercedes Tx and other parts of the Rio Grande Valley of Tx.. Bisbee Az. was a challenge until I realized remembering to park the Harley so it was leaning up-hill on it's stand and in first gear to prevent rolling was fundamental.

I spent 6 wonderful winters at an RV resort on Ave 3E in Yuma and was thrilled to watch the first flights of Osprey V22 tilt-rotor copters arriving at their new station at the MACV airbase. Didn't have to dust the rig for months after that little fly-over.

Have never had a problem with anyone carrying, as most of them don't publish and have grown up with the handgun being akin to a pocket knife for the rest of us.

I disagree only with the premise, not the fact. I only do so when asked. I disagree with many countries merely providing a hole in the floor to crap through while enticing tourists to visit, but again, only say so if asked.

The only part of your posts that I am debating with you is the assumption anyone disagreeing is doing so with no background or knowledge and due to a general fear of firearms; that's just not so as I've met many of your brave veterans over the years of past and present conflicts who do not wish to and will not carry.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I don't think so. I live in New York City and we don't have this nonsense here and that's why NYC is safer than Dallas and Houston and ny state is safer than Texas.

They may not kill you quickly, and make it slow and painful.....
Per capita. Violent crime in NYC, is 4 times higher than that of Dallas TEXAS, with both declining over the last decade.

Per 1,000,000

New York:

Aggravated Assault 27,309
Arson N/A
Burglary 17,926
Forcible Rape 1,036
Larceny and Theft 111,370
Motor Vehicle Theft 10,319
Murder and Manslaughter 536
Robbery 19,608
Crime Rate 218,599
Property Crime 139,615
Violent Crime 48,489

Dallas:

Aggravated Assault 1,582
Arson 0
Burglary 20,116
Forcible Rape 407
Larceny and Theft 30,499
Motor Vehicle Theft 4,919
Murder and Manslaughter 122
Robbery 3,808
Crime Rate 70,480
Property Crime 55,045
Violent Crime 5,918

Last edited by BentBow; 10-07-2014 at 07:50 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Look at the stark difference in property crime above ^ .... maybe just maybe that is because you can protect your property in Texas.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
I live in New York City
'nuff said.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
I don't think so. I live in New York
City
Oh that explains SOOOO much. It's really no wonder you're so disconnected with reality. You live in a concrete jungle ruled by a government that inserts itself in every facet of your life, coddles you, and has a cop on practically every street corner. Not surprising that you'd have no clue why people in the real world want and need a gun for self protection, and value their 2A Rights.
Quote:
and we don't have this nonsense here
Au contraire. What did I just tell you? I told you that every state has concealed carry did I not? So why don't you educate yourself instead of sticking steadfastly to your ignorance.

New York Concealed Carry Permit Information

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/ny...guns.html?_r=1
Quote:
Nearly 4,000 license holders — those who have a “carry business,” “limited
carry” or “special carry” license — can legally conceal their weapons in the city
True that your city likely won't allow the average citizen to protect themselves, but if you are rich, famous, important, or you know somebody, then you can get the permit.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times
Stop spreading those lies!
New York City is way safer than Dallas:

Rates per 100,000
murder New York City - 5.1 Dallas - 12.4
Robbery New York City - 243.7 Dallas - 329.7
Rape. NYC - 14.0. Dallas - 39.1

Here:

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They may not kill you quickly, and make it slow and painful.....
Per capita. Violent crime in NYC, is 4 times higher than that of Dallas TEXAS, with both declining over the last decade.

Per 1,000,000

New York:

Aggravated Assault 27,309
Arson N/A
Burglary 17,926
Forcible Rape 1,036
Larceny and Theft 111,370
Motor Vehicle Theft 10,319
Murder and Manslaughter 536
Robbery 19,608
Crime Rate 218,599
Property Crime 139,615
Violent Crime 48,489

Dallas:

Aggravated Assault 1,582
Arson 0
Burglary 20,116
Forcible Rape 407
Larceny and Theft 30,499
Motor Vehicle Theft 4,919
Murder and Manslaughter 122
Robbery 3,808
Crime Rate 70,480
Property Crime 55,045
Violent Crime 5,918

Old 10-07-2014, 03:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Then I think we have 2 separate ideas that we cannot come together in some sort of middle ground. But I feel we could with further debate. You may like some of my position and like wise with your train of thought. I do apologize for not fully knowing your back ground. Sounds like you have some very good life experiences. (You Should write a book)

Most people in a modern sociality do not need to pack heat to get gas around the corner. I think gun owners have a little more sense, than what you give them.

Although I find it comforting having a side arm running 4WD in the desert. (Exploring) The Southern Arizona area around Nogales, Tombstone and Bisbee has many smugglers and it is wise to be mindful of the danger.

Good debate Sir!
It is also wise to carry firearms in Alaska, but not for use against people. The days of the "wild west" may be gone, but there is still a need to be well armed.

I have also owned firearms for over 50 years. I have been hunting for 52 years, and still hunt today. Before I moved to Alaska, if I was not hunting my firearms stayed at home. I felt no need to carry a firearm, whether concealed or openly, if I was not hunting.

After moving to Alaska 23 years ago, all that changed. I do not go anywhere in the Alaskan bush without at least two firearms. Even if I am just going fishing or for a short hike with my dogs, I make certain that I am well armed.

After all, if it was not for our tool-making ability, human beings most certainly would not be on the top of the food-chain, and Alaska reminds us of that fact every day.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM

20 posts, read 33,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Speak for yourself please. Many Americans agree with the British and Europeans regarding their distaste for our cowboy gun culture.
I understand the historical aspect to the right to bear arms as a protection against a too powerful government, but it appears now to be a means to kill each other. The murder rate in the US is 5 per 100,000. In the UK it is 0.06 per 100,000.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you are in Houston ISD, there is at least on armed HISD police officer on high school and most middle school campuses.

Here, at my daughters school, there are two armed officers.
I'm in Katy ISD, and I think there are guards plus the Katy ISD police station is about three minutes from the high school. Like I said, I wouldn't want it at my kids' schools because the schools are huge and giant student populations, but the rural school where the police are over 30 minutes away and the teachers know everyone it's fine. Random teachers are allowed guns with proper training, and probably only administration knows which teachers have the guns. The students have no clue, nor do other teachers.

I recall that during the shooting rampage at Columbine High School, the students waited for the armed officer to go on break. The armed guards would be targets, but by not knowing who is armed it actually increases the chances of a teacher thwarting a gunman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies