Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:17 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then the winery should have offered classes.
As long as the one volunteering and the one providing the experience are fine with it why should some third party dictate otherwise?

I would imagine most coming in to volunteer are desiring experience. So you think someone should instead pay for the experience? or do you think the classes should be free? They could call it classes, but if the experience is different then it would not accomplish the same learning. If one cannot actually do the work they will not learn completely. Some people would be particularly penalized due to their learning modalities, particularly males.

Last edited by CDusr; 10-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 11:26 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
"Why do people who love the Big Nanny State Government feel that they have to tell the rest of us how to live our lives? Is it their inferiority complex?"

It is not an inferiority complex, it is a superiority complex. Anyone willing to, or who resorts to, or condones, initiations of force upon their fellow man is a thug, tyrant, megalomaniac, narcissist, and a psychopath. The only people who believe that they have a "right" to initiate force upon their fellow man, far from feeling inferior, are those who believe themselves to be Gods among mere mortals.
Using force or domination is not characteristic of anything I would call a step up. The desire to control and dominate can be traced back to fear.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:32 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Statists...what can you do except hopefully put them in mass graves one day?
I consider this statement to be a terroristic threat, one that may be reportable to the FBI.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
This is kind of interesting in that for centuries the trade guilds, (predating unions), offered apprentices the chance to learn a skill. The apprentice was given room and board and training in exchange for x years of service with the master craftsman. No money was given to the apprentice, and in many cases the master was paid to take on the apprentice, which could be loosely construed as schooling, however the apprentice still had to produce or they wouldn't continue with their training.

Benjamin Franklin apprenticed to his brother learning the printer's trade.

Coalman has it exactly right. He paid the stonemason to do a job, but by volunteering to assist, he can save hundreds or thousands of dollars because he no longer has to hire the mason to do the work, Coalman now has a valuable skill for his own use, or if he had to, he could hire out as a mason himself.

He invested his time and labor for a return of a skill that can be parlayed into huge savings for his own use or to earn money if it ever becomes necessary.

The guy I learned blacksmithing from didn't charge me or pay me, All I was doing was being a kid helping out around the shop

Can't tell you how much that small amount of time and labor I invested has paid me back over the years, and is still paying me.

By volunteering as a firefighter, I worked my way up to an officer position, which then showed leadership experience when I applied for a supervisor position.

People get too caught up in the instant return and fail to see the long term benefits of investing a little time and energy to learn something that gives valuable job experience and other benefits instead of just a few bucks.

I hear all the time from kids, "how do I get experience if they won't give me the job?"

First off, Employers don't "give" you a job. They contract with an employee for an exchange of labor and skill for money.
If you don't have money to throw away, bartering your labor for experience can provide you at least a basic competency to get the job and learn more while still providing the production the employer needs to make the money to pay you.

You pay for your education one way or the other, and if you can't afford the thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend 4+ years drinking beer at football games to get a degree, but still have no practical skills, volunteering can be a viable way to exchange labor for that experience instead of paying them to teach you.
The medium of exchange and actual hands on learning is the only real difference.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:52 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I consider this statement to be a terroristic threat, one that may be reportable to the FBI.
LOL...I am an Agorist so you might as well send them my name too.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
It is about control; some people took 1984 as a "how to manual" instead of a cautionary tale.

Statists...what can you do except hopefully put them in mass graves one day?
Excellent point!

Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, and I have seen interns be paid for their work because having people work for free is called abusing the workforce.
Absolutely! Volunteering to receive practical experience and knowledge in a personally chosen field on terms that are acceptable to you should be banished here. Personal freedom of choice has no place in the wanna-be, liberal utopia, right? One must toe the unthinking, party line dictated by others.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
LOL...I am an Agorist so you might as well send them my name too.
Do you advocate for the mass murder of a group of people, like Kruetz does?

Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
In the "old days", an "unpaid internship" was called "on-the-job training". It seems too many companies found that unpaid internships, which tended to be given to children of privilege, could be foisted onto the middle and lower class kids as well! Now, the companies that engage in these practices can be called out for what they are ...cheap,cheap,cheap!!! That whole concept is definitely for the birds!!

Old 10-05-2014, 02:36 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Do you advocate for the mass murder of a group of people, like Kruetz does?
Unless you are talking Central Banking Families, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies