Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What say you libertarians of C-D, are the libertarian Tea Partiers like Rand Paul hurting the Republican party more than helping it?
Tea Party and Libertarian Party are very very different. In fact, they are not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 06:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Seriously?

So morons in the media and foreign newspapers is where you are getting your ridiculous concepts. Why am I not surprised?
We will note, I am backing up everything I state as opposed to simply throwing out insults. Still nothing on Rumdi V Rumsfeld?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Tea Party and Libertarian Party are very very different. In fact, they are not even close.
They are different but have some overlap.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The truth is, 'Tea Party' is amorphous and is probably best left to casual use only. I defy anyone to define it.

There used to be more bridges between the libertarian and republican communities, but in recent years it is common to hear Libertarians bad-mouthing Republicans and vice versa. That is unfortunate. Ronald Reagan said: "the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. "

RINOs to me are those who do not believe in the concept of limited government and thus have no place in the Republican party. Examples are guys like Hal Rogers, AKA the prince of pork, Don Young of 'bridge to nowhere' fame, and Bud Shuster, who could have been tagged 'king of pork.'

I don't see a use for these types, and wish that they would migrate over to the Democratic party where they belong.
Reagan was referring to libertarianism, as in those who strongly believe in the political philosophy that liberty is paramount. Reagan was not referring to the Libertarian Party. The Libertarian Party members are nothing more than closet anarchists. Even their own official party platform states this fact flat out:

Quote:
As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others.

The world we seek to build is one where individuals are free to follow their own dreams in their own ways, without interference from government or any authoritarian power.

Source: Platform | Libertarian Party
The last time I checked anarchy is defined as a "sovereign" individual that is "without interference from government or any authoritarian power."

Old 10-07-2014, 06:07 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The last time I checked anarchy is defined as a "sovereign" individual that is "without interference from government or any authoritarian power."
Check again. You misunderstand. But you are good at twisting words.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
People so often want to confuse libertarians with anarchists when their politicians let them down and they can find no defense for them any longer.

"I can't vote for the Libertarian that actually stands for what my candidate once claimed they stood for because Libertarians are anarchists".

Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
It did not use to be that way. The original TEA Party was started by members of the Libertarian Party. However, what it got bastardized into by Ron Paul fanatics in 2007/2008 had absolutely nothing to do with the Libertarian Party. Personally, I do not like the Libertarian Party and I never have, but what the "Tea Party" has become today was not their doing. You can blame the Ron Paul nut jobs for that.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I did not "twist" anything. I posted the exact quote, verbatim. I cannot help it if you are so blinded that you cannot comprehend the truth when it is staring you in the face.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Arguing you can strip citizens of their due process rights is a far better example. Arguing to strip citizens of their first amendment rights like what was passed in McCain/Feingold is right up there also.

Even Bush recognized that was unconstitutional but foolishly signed it anyway.
M-F was a low point of the Bush presidency, and in my view W was a classic RINO. He was a good man, but then so was Jimmy Carter. In 2016 the GOP needs desperately to break the habit of putting up nominees who don't believe in limited gov't. We haven't had one of those since 1984--30 years ago....

Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
M-F was a low point of the Bush presidency, and in my view W was a classic RINO. He was a good man, but then so was Jimmy Carter.
I once believed that but the idea that he would continue to allow the wars to continue for years with no clear goal other than people being killed makes me question that. He has apologized for that which is something but I still have a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
In 2016 the GOP needs desperately to break the habit of putting up nominees who don't believe in limited gov't. We haven't had one of those since 1984--30 years ago....
Hell, I would be happy with one that turned their back on the wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies