Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

We've seen more and more Tea Party members claim to be "libertarian" (Rand Paul and even his father Ron before him) as well as past threads about Libertarian views. I went to decide for myself if there was a link and found this nugget in the Libertarian Party website
Quote:
Tea Party

We frequently receive questions about the relationship between the Libertarian Party and the Tea Party movement.

Below are some of our press releases and other messages that mention the Tea Party movement:

LP Monday Message: Flyer for Tea Parties and Tax Protests (4/5/10):

The April 15 tax filing deadline is right around the corner (a week from Thursday), and along with it, lots of tax day protests and Tea Party protests. In addition to other groups' events, your local Libertarian Party affiliate may have protest plans for that day.

Libertarians issue warning to Tea Partiers (9/10/10):

WASHINGTON - Looking toward the 9/12 Tea Party events in Washington, DC, Libertarian Party executive director Wes Benedict issued the following warning to Tea Partiers: "Republicans are trying to fool you again."

"There are two kinds of Tea Partiers," said Benedict. "One kind is so blinded by its hatred of Obama and Democrats that it cannot see fault with Republicans. It's the other kind the Libertarian Party is reaching out to."

Libertarians: Tea Party betrayed by tiny Republican budget cuts (2/3/11):

WASHINGTON - According to The Hill, House Republicans have just announced that they will seek appropriations for the rest of 2011 that are $32 billion below current spending levels.

LP Chair Mark Hinkle commented, "The Tea Party supporters have been betrayed. These cuts are so small, you need a microscope to find them."
Now since the Tea Party really started in 2007 there have been more and more people saying that Republicans are RINOs because they aren't conservative enough and/or are not fiscally conservative. I've voted mostly Republican in 2008 and again in 2012 because I didn't think the Obama Democrats were the answer to problems. But now in 2014 I think the Tea Party and the conservative Libertarians who claim to be Republicans aren't the answer either. I personally want a moderate choice rather than just a far right choice or a far left choice like it has seemed the two parties have done. If given the choice, I may just end up voting for anyone but Hillary and a far-right candidate in 2016 (if both happen.)

What say you libertarians of C-D, are the libertarian Tea Partiers like Rand Paul hurting the Republican party more than helping it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We've seen more and more Tea Party members claim to be "libertarian" (Rand Paul and even his father Ron before him) as well as past threads about Libertarian views. I went to decide for myself if there was a link and found this nugget in the Libertarian Party website

Now since the Tea Party really started in 2007 there have been more and more people saying that Republicans are RINOs because they aren't conservative enough and/or are not fiscally conservative. I've voted mostly Republican in 2008 and again in 2012 because I didn't think the Obama Democrats were the answer to problems. But now in 2014 I think the Tea Party and the conservative Libertarians who claim to be Republicans aren't the answer either. I personally want a moderate choice rather than just a far right choice or a far left choice like it has seemed the two parties have done. If given the choice, I may just end up voting for anyone but Hillary and a far-right candidate in 2016 (if both happen.)

What say you libertarians of C-D, are the libertarian Tea Partiers like Rand Paul hurting the Republican party more than helping it?
I can only generalize. Libertarians have no desire to help the Republican party. They may have support for things that overlap with the "Tea Party" and it seems to me that the links are mostly warnings to make sure they don't fall for the lies out of the status quo Republicans.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Rand Paul is a libertarian leaning Republican on some issues, but yeah, he and a few others hurt the establishment Republicans, because RINO doesn't mean "liberal on social issues" it means being a not much different from any average Democrat and being the same brand of corruptocrat.

He's not the only fly in the RINO ointment, but he's not a true libertarian either.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can only generalize. Libertarians have no desire to help the Republican party. They may have support for things that overlap with the "Tea Party" and it seems to me that the links are mostly warnings to make sure they don't fall for the lies out of the status quo Republicans.
That is possible, I can think of Democrats who put support to Republicans and Republicans who put support to Democrats (not too recently though) so it wouldn't surprise me to see Libertarians be voting Republican or siding with Tea Party conservatives. The Tea Party is more of a logic than an actual party anyway. The issue is some status quo Republicans buy into Tea Party politics (they always were Goldwater conservatives) but they just voted Republican because they were the Republican nominee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Rand Paul is a libertarian leaning Republican on some issues, but yeah, he and a few others hurt the establishment Republicans, because RINO doesn't mean "liberal on social issues" it means being a not much different from any average Democrat and being the same brand of corruptocrat.

He's not the only fly in the RINO ointment, but he's not a true libertarian either.
The issue is as someone who wants to vote Republican. I stand for more things economically on the Republican side than the Democrat side, I see the wack-ball social issues of Tea Party Candidates about say rape pregnancies and a male, no human being I am applaud. I'm not saying they need to be the same as a Democrat but when you are far right socially, it's not redeemable. To tie into Paul, I wanted to like him but as I've seen and heard more and more of him, the more I grow to not like him.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
Quote:
Now since the Tea Party really started in 2007 there have been more and more people saying that Republicans are RINOs because they aren't conservative enough
snip

Quote:
First quote has you equating Libertarians with conservatives; you're starting from a flawed premise.

Libertarians are not conservatives.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
For me, I don't care. I will always vote for the most centrist candidate of the two. Political extremism, either left or right, all lead down the road to tyranny and democide (death by government). The least violent governments have always been the most centrist ones, don't you ever forget that

Old 10-07-2014, 02:37 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
That is why you so often see philosophical libertarians distance themselves from the party. Libertarian Party does not equal libertarian philosophy. They are fools who think that you can turn an institution of aggression, the State, into a libertarian one if they are part of the institution. Unless a new Constitution could be created, there is no hope that this nation could ever be libertarian by nature. Just the non-aggression principle alone would require rewriting nearly every law we have in existence.

That's why I USED to be a libertarian and now am an Agorist.

And I personally don't feel that any politicians are strictly libertarians, they just don't exist, if they did they would never get elected in this nation of tyrants.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
For me, I don't care. I will always vote for the most centrist candidate of the two. Political extremism, either left or right, all lead down the road to tyranny and democide (death by government). The least violent governments have always been the most centrist ones, don't you ever forget that
Today a "centrist" government is one that argues you have no right to privacy in much of anything any more. It argues it can throw you in prison and dispense of due process rights. It argues if need be it can assassinate you. It argues it can remove your right to free speech when they dislike your speech.

Sounds like Tyranny to me.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
snip

First quote has you equating Libertarians with conservatives; you're starting from a flawed premise.

Libertarians are not conservatives.
Why can't they be?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Default Fact Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Today a "centrist" government is one that argues you have no right to privacy in much of anything any more. It argues it can throw you in prison and dispense of due process rights. It argues if need be it can assassinate you. It argues it can remove your right to free speech when they dislike your speech.
When has a US citizen who did not commit an act of terror get thrown in prison without due process or read their Miranda Rights?
When has a US citizen who is NOT abroad been assassinated?
When has non-violent free-speech removed? (without including the Civil Right protests of the 1950's and 1960's.)

If you are going to state things, use facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies