Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,768,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Not one door - but two doors. From the police report:

Sargeant Taylor:

Upon our arrival to Officer Stancil he was standing by the side door of the garage with his gun drawn. The door that Officer Stancil was standing next to was open approximately 4 inches. Officer Stancil, myself, and Officer Lane then made entry into the garage ... Once we determined that the garage was clear I then walked up to the door that lead into the home and found that it was also open approximately 4 inches. Myself, Officer Stancil, and Officer Lane then made entry into the home.

http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wtvd/docs...21613_0001.pdf
Wow, I leave my doors open all the time (well, not now, it's a bit too chilly these days) - I'm a fresh air fiend. These cops are living sheltered lives if they think open doors are evidence of a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:47 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,497,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No, the Young Man needs to follow instructions when Police Officers give them, had he done so he would not have been sprayed and the incident would have been cleared up within minutes. By the way it does not matter if you are white, black, brown or Purple, when the police tell you to do something start doing it and you can clear up any misunderstandings after they have the situation under control. This is not rocket science but if you want to take an attitude with law enforcement then by all means go for it, enjoy what happens next
In my opinion, the police didn’t have to tackle the situation in that kind of manner. For one, it didn’t appear like they had a warrant. I don’t believe these policemen should have acted in such an aggressive manner if they didn’t even have a warrant to enter the property. We weren’t there, but even if he did become “profane, threatening, and belligerent”, do you believe he should have been pepper sprayed in his own home? I’m a native of this area of North Carolina, and even though it’s a progressive southern metro, I’m sure there have been many past reports of racial profiling against African-Americans. This is typical for the south as a whole, even though it’s an uncomfortable topic for most southerners. It’s almost impossible to avoid speaking of race for this situation. According to a 2004 Gallup poll, 53 percent of all Americans believe racial policing is “widespread.” Brining race into the poll, 50 percent of white Americans believe it exists, along with 67 percent for African-Americans, and 63 percent of Hispanics. According to police experts Samuel Walker and Charles M. Katz, tensions between the police and the African American community involve allegations of unjustified fatal shootings, use of excessive force, and overly aggressive police tactics in stops and frisks. If you think he should’ve obeyed the orders, whether or not that was entirely true, how would you react in your own home? This young man was in a state of shock, but he was also in a comfortable location. I don’t think he believed the police would actually harm him in his own home. The police ordered him to put his hands in the air, therefore bewildering him since he was in his own home. It was also noted that three police officers pointed out the fact that he wasn’t included in the family photos. This young man was recently adopted by a white family, and I hope these police officers regret their close-minded response. As we have seen in Ferguson, racism within the police force isn’t a new topic. Some people believe the police are racist if they have too many interactions with minorities, not because they are going where crime is. Also, when profiling makes headlines, it is mostly when coupled with excessive and abusive power behavior. In this case, this assumption makes sense.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:12 PM

671 posts, read 891,409 times
Quote:
No, the Young Man needs to follow instructions when Police Officers give them, had he done so he would not have been sprayed and the incident would have been cleared up within minutes. By the way it does not matter if you are white, black, brown or Purple, when the police tell you to do something start doing it and you can clear up any misunderstandings after they have the situation under control. This is not rocket science but if you want to take an attitude with law enforcement then by all means go for it, enjoy what happens next
Being a jerk or having an attitude isn't illegal,poor form doesn't give any cop the right to use excessive force....Apparently you feel that it does.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
In a fictitious Star Trek universe about 300 years from now...maybe what you said actually makes sense.

He was in his own home, on his own property, the police (once again) acting unilaterally and above the law f-ed up. Of course they can't come out and say they f-ed up as that would be an admission of guilt.

The police hide behind the "self-defense" rule which covers just about all egregious actions short of in your face executions (in which case you can get away with that if there's no video proof) and a union which will defend their actions right or wrong. Not unlike the mafia, except worse in that the legal/judicial system supports it.

The standards for officer training can't be very high as they don't have people who can think critically and rationally.
I agree for the most part. As for officer training, I think they need to discuss racism and possibly the history of racism in the police force. We learn about the Holocaust, Jim Crow, and slavery in school so we’ll never repeat them. The history of racism in the police force is no secret whatsoever, in my honest opinion. So why not discuss racism during officer training? It’s been an issue, and I’m being completely serious. According to Charles M. Katz and Samuel Walker, two police experts, racial profiling is defined as the practice of police officers stopping drivers because of their race or ethnicity and not because of a legitimate law violation. While this young man wasn’t driving, do you honestly believe the police would have pepper sprayed him if he was white? If I had to take a guess, I’d say they wouldn’t have. You’re right that he was in his own home on his own property. However, he was adopted by a white family. The police didn’t believe him, and pepper sprayed him before any other clarification even though he was being completely honest. Waiting for his parents to return home would have been more suitable. Really, this is just a complete screw up on the police front. They could have handled the situation in better ways, but I definitely believe this is a case along the lines of racial profiling. It’s 2014, and this needs to stop.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
They have no idea who's property it is, all they know is there was a report by the neighbor that there was a burglar and they have the right to ensure the person they found in home had the right to be there. The kid decided to be a SA and not comply when the police confronted him, he is lucky all he got was a little pepper spray, they could have taken him down hard if they wanted to. Why would they have to admit to doing anything wrong from the sound of they did just fine.

Yes we get it you do not like or trust law enforcement, please make sure to never call 9-11 for assistance, after all you know that somehow they will treat you badly in the process. Fair is Fair.

Why don't you apply since you seem to believe you have all the right qualities, then you could improve the system from the inside.
A little pepper spray? I imagine “a little pepper spray” could definitely hurt, I don’t care who you are. In this situation, pepper spray shouldn’t have been an issue. However, the act of using the pepper spray for the reasons they described, that’s the issue. It didn’t appear like the young man physically attacked the officers, therefore not putting them in immediate danger. If he was being disrespectful, they could have handled it a bit better. Calling his parents or waiting for them to return home would have been a suitable alternative. They could have patiently watched him until they returned home. I think he was in a complete state of shock because the situation seemed so bizarre. I’m in my own home, haven’t done anything, and these cops are insisting I broke in to this home. Racism might have been in the back of his mind, and that’s why he was even more annoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies