Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I would MUCH rather live in Mississippi than California,NY or Illinois..none of which made the list I see..I agree,its rigged.
I have to stick up for CA.....living there is wonderful, the politics are horrible. One can escape all of this in the wooded areas and rivers of Northern CA. Until one has hiked the Northern area, one doesn't know the real CA.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Its all subjective. You can make a 'best states to live in' list using whatever criteria you want and arrive at wildly different rankings. Here's one from CNBC just this year:

(Our Quality of Life category scores the states on several factors, such as crime rate and health care, including the percent of the population with health insurance. We evaluate local attractions, parks and recreation, as well as environmental quality.)

10. South Dakota
8. Maine
8. Nebraska
7. Massachusetts
6. Washington
5. North Dakota
4. Minnesota
3. New Hampshire
2. Vermont
1. Hawaii

Here's Forbes list of the ten happiest states. (Life evaluation, Emotional health, Work environment, Physical health, Healthy behaviors, Access to basic necessities)

1. North Dakota
2. South Dakota
3. Nebraska
4. Minnesota
5. Montana
6. Vermont
7. Colorado
8. Hawaii
9. Washington
10. Iowa

What constitutes best or worst quality of life varies based on what factors are important to individuals, so saying these states are the best is really just an interpretation of whoever is compiling what factors they value in a place to live.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Weight each of them equally and quit looking at them one on one. There's nothing flawed about my criteria anymore than the criteria of the OP are flawed. I mean really? You're going to equate voter participation with employment rate?

Here are some more parameters to make the North look awful: stress, spirituality, number of hours worked per week, commute time, traffic, pollution, population density, sunlight hours, taxes, pace of life should I keep going?
Okay then, care to comment on just food stamp usage based on that map?

It was, after all, #2 on your list.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Here's Forbes list of the ten happiest states. (Life evaluation, Emotional health, Work environment, Physical health, Healthy behaviors, Access to basic necessities)

1. North Dakota
2. South Dakota
3. Nebraska
4. Minnesota
5. Montana
6. Vermont
7. Colorado
8. Hawaii
9. Washington
10. Iowa

What constitutes best or worst quality of life varies based on what factors are important to individuals, so saying these states are the best is really just an interpretation of whoever is compiling what factors they value in a place to live.
You know, I bet those folks up in the Dakota's are very happy. A lot less people, and
when it gets so cold it doesn't even snow, they can cuddle And, they apparently have awesome pheasant/quail hunting, if you are into that sort of thing. I lived in CO and I hated it. Not because I hate mountains but I just didn't like the vibe and they really don't know how to cook in MOST restaurants. Montana, which I also have been, is one of those states IMO, you got to be from to want to live there. Iowa has more pigs than people and maybe that's a good thing Vermont is so pretty, and I like it's political vibe, I've often thought of moving there some day.

But Nebraska, MN, WA - my mind just goes meh. Hawaii too, just doesn't do anything for me.

Your right, it's all subjective.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you notice there all southern states almost, i think its rigged, mississippi is a great place to live
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I love living in the south!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I would MUCH rather live in Mississippi than California,NY or Illinois..none of which made the list I see..I agree,its rigged.
The south is a hellhole.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Nothing good about the south?????? What elitist garbage. I love living in the south, I like the weather, I like the scenery, I like the culture and the politics. My state is well run, its living within its means and we have no state income tax. How many northerners can say that??? Bad healthcare??? Nothing wrong with the healthcare that I can see. These lists are rigged, I have no doubt of that. All the states on that list are southern, except for WV and NM. Of course their list of the "top ten states", mostly northeastern. Gee I bet the study was sponsored by someone up north. I don't think I need to tell you how sick we are of hearing this kind of thing. The south is a great place to live. More people move here than move out, why is that???? Obviously those moving in disagree with the list. Now im gonna go fix me a sweet tea, then hang my confederate flag off my front porch.
What are the ages of the people that move in? Are they moving for employment or are they retired and looking to take advantage of the low cost of living?
Do they have children that will be entering the school system or is that no longer a concern?

And, is your area really keeping the young people after they graduate (if they graduate) or are they leaving and being replaced with older people?
What is the percentage of teen parents? Food stamp use?

The south can be a great place to live. I lived in southern New Mexico and I loved it. The weather was perfect, cost of living was low, people were very friendly.
But, and it is a very big but, there is very little opportunity there, particularly for young people. While smart kids do okay, the reality is that the overall education system leaves a lot to be desired. The teen pregnancy rates are through the roof (still) as is food stamp use. There are no jobs.

I had to leave the state to find a decent-paying job and based on recent numbers, I know that I am not alone.
The numbers are what the numbers are.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:32 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The south is a hellhole.
please, don't hold back...

Would you like to elaborate?

And what heaven on earth place do you live?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Interesting how the "Household disposable income per capita" measure isn't adjusted with the Regional Price Parity that reflects the cost of goods/services relative to that market. The reason it wasn't included is once cost of living is adjusted, things change quite dramatically.

Example: Mississippi has an unadjusted household disposable income of $23,957, but the Bureau of Economic Analysis says Mississippi has a Regional Price Parity index of 85.4, so $23,957/0.854 = $28,054.

I don't feel like crunching every state, but the total difference in household disposable incomes shrinks by 27% when you adjust for cost of living. Link: Which States' Residents Have the Most Cash to Spend?

That's just the OECD's flawed income number. Don't even get me started on mortality, since the US defines all sorts of mortality stats different than other OECD countries. Here's a quick primer on that: US health care: A reality check on cross-country comparisons - Health - AEI

And I love this one about infant mortality:
Quote:
if the United States had the same distribution of gestational ages as Sweden, its recorded infant mortality rate would drop by 33 percent, tying it with France as the fifth lowest rate out of twenty-one developed countries.
How each country reports has as much to do with mortality as actual death.

Basically, "studies" like this are crude, blunt tools that use really sloppy analysis and miss a ton of relevant data to draw really bad conclusions.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Have you ever been to the south? There is nothing good about that part of the country. It is hot, humid, and poorly run with bad healthcare. In hindsight, they probably should have let the south go in the Civil War and let it all be Texas's problem to deal with.
Now that was a stupid comment.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
please, don't hold back...

Would you like to elaborate?

And what heaven on earth place do you live?
Yes, it's hotter than hell with a racial caste system that disenfranchises minorities and poor people. It is also overly religious, physically unhealthy, and too car-centric.

I guess that works if you are a White Christian male that drives a Ford F-150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies