Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:32 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As someone who leans conservative, I admit I find this embarrassing.

But at the same time, I have to question if liberals are really that much smarter. There was an interesting post on CD that generally found liberal voters occupied both extremes on the education spectrum...the very top and the very bottom; whereas conservatives were more in the middle. I know education isn't a perfect proxy for IQ, but then I also think there are many kinds of intelligence not well measured by IQ.
I can kind of see that.

I find that I myself flop between conservative and liberal.

I believe in helping the poor... Then I work at a job where I see someone receive a housing subsidy of $1500/month for a two bedroom apartment all by himself. That's 75% of my mortgage on a $350,000 house that he is subsidized monthly.

All for public education... Until I see that property taxes are going up because they need to hire 5 more special education techs (among other things). When I started school, special education consisted of one room with one teacher, sometimes a tech. When I left high school in 2007, each special education kid had his own tech. When I read statistics such as in the 1950s there was 240+ teachers per 100 non-teachers, as of 2008 my state had 100 teachers per 140 non-teachers.

I'd be all for a nice balance between the two sides. You have to have that for them to keep each other in balance, because neither of them are right or wrong.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies