Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's ALL because the gays are getting married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It used to be that a woman was a spinster if she wasn't married at a certain age. Women's place was in the bedroom and kitchen. She rarely worked. It's different today. Women don't need to marry for a man to take care of them. They can take care of themselves now. Besides, so many marriages end up in divorce, what's the point.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:37 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The problem is that young male won't be forever. Pretty soon that young male will be an older man in his 40s and 50s, still doesn't have his life together, still has no wife and kids, probably overweight, and basically has nothing to live for. Advising young men not to marry and have children is one of the stupidest things you can do. Hollywood doesn't paint a realistic picture of what happens to the "players" in life if they get their cards right.
Lol @ trying to scare men into getting married...fear mongering ass.
.lol

Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 PM
TZ7

45 posts, read 69,273 times
Oh, and they push me aside in the process. Is that the way it works?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:36 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I agree. Most of my friends have been married more than 20 years.
Try doing a survey. Go to your bank, the auto dealer, the market....where ever and ask the people there if they are one time happily married and still going strong, and who is divorced. I bet the majority will answer divorced at least once.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Try doing a survey. Go to your bank, the auto dealer, the market....where ever and ask the people there if they are one time happily married and still going strong, and who is divorced. I bet the majority will answer divorced at least once.

Perhaps that is true in the general population, but I can tell you that in my social group, like Donna's, the vast majority of us married in our twenties and have been married for 25-35 years. It would be interesting to investigate what makes us different.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The problem is that young male won't be forever. Pretty soon that young male will be an older man in his 40s and 50s, still doesn't have his life together, still has no wife and kids, probably overweight, and basically has nothing to live for. Advising young men not to marry and have children is one of the stupidest things you can do. Hollywood doesn't paint a realistic picture of what happens to the "players" in life if they get their cards right.
What do you mean doesn't have anything to live for or doesn't have life together? This goes back to the saying "your life should be happy and complete upon yourself and anybody in your life should just enhance it".

I never married, no kids love life every day (almost every day). My thing is guitar, most of my free time is involved in that I love it it is a life learning process that will never end. Other people should have their own passion in life besides just a special other. Man or woman, too many are afraid to be alone. I get love, I know your special other may mean the world to you but it shouldn't be the only thing that makes you care about your life. I also understand heartbreak.

However when a man is in his 50's or 60's and his wife drops the bomb that she is divorcing he is still in the same boat in the end of being alone as the same aged man who never married. The man married for 20 or 30 yrs is going to have a much more difficult time facing reality.

But you know what there is still that thing called hope. We all need it....hope. You never know what is around the corner, one door closes but another one opens. Maybe not in the way you wanted or expected but it does. The key is to be the tree trunk, and everybody else around you the branches. Leaves fall off, branches break off, but a solid tree will renew.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Perhaps that is true in the general population, but I can tell you that in my social group, like Donna's, the vast majority of us married in our twenties and have been married for 25-35 years. It would be interesting to investigate what makes us different.
Well I don't count I am a oddball of never being married. However my life has come in contact with a wide array of different peeps of different social, economic and ethnic classes and none seem immune to winding up in divorce.

The only possible people who may never divorce is based on their religion but one would hae to wonder how many of them are truely happy and not just keeping it together because it is expected for them to.

The unfortunate truth about marriage is only a small percent marry out of real true love, which is not easy to find or occur in this world. The rest marry out of need to have or meet certain financial or social expectations, to raise a family, or just because they don't want to be alone.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Well I don't count I am a oddball of never being married. However my life has come in contact with a wide array of different peeps of different social, economic and ethnic classes and none seem immune to winding up in divorce.

The only possible people who may never divorce is based on their religion but one would hae to wonder how many of them are truely happy and not just keeping it together because it is expected for them to.

The unfortunate truth about marriage is only a small percent marry out of real true love, which is not easy to find or occur in this world. The rest marry out of need to have or meet certain financial or social expectations, to raise a family, or just because they don't want to be alone.
I knew religion was going to come up. Here's the fascinating thing about my family and friends: none of us are particularly religious. Most of us are agnostic at best, although a few attend the local Methodist church, so I'm unconvinced that religion thwarts divorce. In fact, I seem to recall seeing a study awhile back that found higher divorce rates among conservative evangelicals than the religiously unaffiliated.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:34 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
What do you mean doesn't have anything to live for or doesn't have life together? This goes back to the saying "your life should be happy and complete upon yourself and anybody in your life should just enhance it".

I never married, no kids love life every day (almost every day). My thing is guitar, most of my free time is involved in that I love it it is a life learning process that will never end. Other people should have their own passion in life besides just a special other. Man or woman, too many are afraid to be alone. I get love, I know your special other may mean the world to you but it shouldn't be the only thing that makes you care about your life. I also understand heartbreak.

However when a man is in his 50's or 60's and his wife drops the bomb that she is divorcing he is still in the same boat in the end of being alone as the same aged man who never married. The man married for 20 or 30 yrs is going to have a much more difficult time facing reality.

But you know what there is still that thing called hope. We all need it....hope. You never know what is around the corner, one door closes but another one opens. Maybe not in the way you wanted or expected but it does. The key is to be the tree trunk, and everybody else around you the branches. Leaves fall off, branches break off, but a solid tree will renew.
It's very common for married people, especially married males, to shame and ridicule single men. They type that tries to convince men to get married, in a marriage where the wife is always right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies