Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times

Advertisements

As though there was not enough evidence of global warming, the National Academy of Sciences came out with a study that sea levels are the highest in 6,000 years and that the rise began about 150 years ago when humanity started pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Really, how much evidence does one need to accept global warming as a fact that it is. The following article is from USA Today. I have put in bold the more salient points of the article.

Quote:
Study: Recent sea level rise is highest in 6,000 years

Melting glacial ice and ice sheets have driven seas to levels unmatched in the past 6,000 years, says a study out this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Researchers studied examples of past sediments in Australia and Asia that dated back 35,000 years and found that overall, the planet's sea level was fairly stable for most of the past 6,000 years.

Things began to go haywire about 150 years ago, the same time humanity began to pump greenhouse gases into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels.

"There's something going on today that wasn't going on before," said Kurt Lambeck of the Australian National University, who was lead author of the study, in an interview with the Australia Broadcasting Corp. He said the sea level rise is affected by increasing temperatures.

As the Earth's temperature warms, so do the seas. Heat-trapping greenhouse gases cause more land ice (glaciers and ice sheets) to melt and water to expand.

REPORT: Scientists warn sea levels could swamp coasts

Lambeck told the Guardian that the sea level increase of the past 100 years is "beyond dispute."

Sea level has risen nearly 8 inches worldwide since 1880, but it doesn't rise at the same level. In the past century or so, it has climbed about a foot or more in some U.S. cities such as Charleston, Norfolk and Galveston because of the added influence of ocean currents and land subsidence.

Global sea level will rise 1 to 3 feet around the world by the end of this century, according to this year's Fifth Assessment Report by the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:10 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
I'll be out buying some waders and check back in later.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
As though there was not enough evidence of global warming, the National Academy of Sciences came out with a study that sea levels are the highest in 6,000 years and that the rise began about 150 years ago when humanity started pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Really, how much evidence does one need to accept global warming as a fact that it is. The following article is from USA Today. I have put in bold the more salient points of the article.

There was virtually no man made CO2 150 years ago, so you are connecting dots that don't exist.

Al Gore just bought a $9 million beach house so he's not to worried about the ocean rising.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:16 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Living by the Chesapeake I can state that our beach recession isn't from sea level rise but due to the armoring of the shoreline with rock seawalls. The sand has no place to grab on to, which means the beaches disappear and coastal flooding occurs with more frequency.

The littoral drift which used to replenish the beaches is now broken.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:

The sea levels are not rising everywhere. The sea levels around Alaska are dropping. Or, more accurately, the land is rising.

Why would anyone not expect the majority of the sea levels to rise during an interglacial period? It is not like it is an anomaly.

When this interglacial period ends we can expect to see sea levels dropping as another glaciation period begins. It is what they call a "natural cycle."

Old 10-14-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There was virtually no man made CO2 150 years ago, so you are connecting dots that don't exist.

Al Gore just bought a $9 million beach house so he's not to worried about the ocean rising.
Other than the Al Gore comment, you do raise a good point as to when CO2 emissions would have started to have an effect on the climate. Of course, it is not me making the assertion but the National Academy of Sciences.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Other than the Al Gore comment, you do raise a good point as to when CO2 emissions would have started to have an effect on the climate. Of course, it is not me making the assertion but the National Academy of Sciences.
The very same National Academy of Sciences that proclaimed, with 100% certainty, that the Holocene Interglacial Period has ended in 1973 and we can expect hundreds of millions to starve by the 1990s.

Consider the source.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times

Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
What about the fact that the earth has been cooling, and ice caps are thickening? I guess global "warming" is being reversed. Remember when the climate loonies were saying we were entering an ice age, too? Just relax, bozos, the earth is just doing its thing.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The sea levels are not rising everywhere. The sea levels around Alaska are dropping. Or, more accurately, the land is rising.

Why would anyone not expect the majority of the sea levels to rise during an interglacial period? It is not like it is an anomaly.

When this interglacial period ends we can expect to see sea levels dropping as another glaciation period begins. It is what they call a "natural cycle."
The article states that sea rise would not be uniform around the world. Without having read the full report, I would surmise that according to the National Academy of Sciences, the anomaly is the sudden rise of sea levels in the past century after 6,000 years of stable sea levels. Since the sea level rise correlates to humanity's pumping of CO2 into the atmosphere, NAS made what seems to me a fairly logical conclusion, I.e. there's a cause and effect of CO2 emissions and rising sea levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies