Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:32 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Nothing that cant be fixed with more taxation

Old 10-14-2014, 05:37 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
As though there was not enough evidence of global warming, the National Academy of Sciences came out with a study that sea levels are the highest in 6,000 years and that the rise began about 150 years ago when humanity started pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Really, how much evidence does one need to accept global warming as a fact that it is. The following article is from USA Today. I have put in bold the more salient points of the article.

Study: Recent sea level rise is highest in 6,000 years

oh my.... seriously i dont even need to read the article. ive got your words to show exactly how unscientific you are....

1. No reputible scientist suggests that Anthropogenic Global Warming started 150 years ago. NONE.
2. 150 years ago, the world began to thaw from the Little Ice Age.
3. Oceans are at thier highest point in 6000 years???? really? im SHOCKED I TELL YOU. SHOCKED!
i mean come on. we were 6k years from the beginning of this INTERGLACIAL 6k years ago.. now we are 12k years from it. How are we NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE HIGHER SEA LEVELS????

OF COURSE WE HAVE HIGHER SEA LEVELS>

how about you come up with something that shows a rate of rise, that is even modestly different from the rate of rise, over the last 150 years that coincides with the current "Athropogenic Warming Event"

good grief. dude. seriously grab a science book.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh my.... seriously i dont even need to read the article. ive got your words to show exactly how unscientific you are....

1. No reputible scientist suggests that Anthropogenic Global Warming started 150 years ago. NONE.
2. 150 years ago, the world began to thaw from the Little Ice Age.
3. Oceans are at thier highest point in 6000 years???? really? im SHOCKED I TELL YOU. SHOCKED!
i mean come on. we were 6k years from the beginning of this INTERGLACIAL 6k years ago.. now we are 12k years from it. How are we NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE HIGHER SEA LEVELS????

OF COURSE WE HAVE HIGHER SEA LEVELS>

how about you come up with something that shows a rate of rise, that is even modestly different from the rate of rise, over the last 150 years that coincides with the current "Athropogenic Warming Event"

good grief. dude. seriously grab a science book.
What is it with you people and your rational thought.

Shame on you.

The collective has spoken assimilate or you will be destroyed.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
Technically we are still in an Ice Age, we are just coming out of the last Ice Age so it stands to reason that sea levels are going to rise. The warming is happening faster than expected due to increase green house gases, however, warming will still happen because of the position of the earth in its orbit in relation to the sun, this means we are in a warming period. Once all of the ice sheets and glaciers are gone then our current Ice Age will have come to an end. In about 20,000 years the earth will start to cycle into another Ice Age and it will most likely last for 100,000 years, so the moral of this is, Ice happens and so does warming.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
The article states that sea rise would not be uniform around the world. Without having read the full report, I would surmise that according to the National Academy of Sciences, the anomaly is the sudden rise of sea levels in the past century after 6,000 years of stable sea levels. Since the sea level rise correlates to humanity's pumping of CO2 into the atmosphere, NAS made what seems to me a fairly logical conclusion, I.e. there's a cause and effect of CO2 emissions and rising sea levels.
The seas, like the climate, have never been "stable." Like everything else, they change all the time.

CO2 levels in the past have been as much as 25 times higher than today. Yet the seas never became acidic enough to cause mass extinctions. Even during the Permian/Triassic extinction events were not caused by anoxic or acidic oceans. The sea levels dropped by 260 feet during the Cretaceous, yet it did not kill off the dinosaurs.

The only thing that has changed in the last 150 years is that we are now able to actually monitor the oceans. This new awareness of what is has been happening for billions of years is certainly not cause for panic.

The NAS "made what seems to me a fairly logical conclusion" in 1973 as well. They claimed that we were heading into another 100,000 years of glaciation after monitoring two decades of declining global temperatures. Their newly found awareness caused them to panic and completely blow the cooling period out of proportion. This is no different.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Other than the Al Gore comment, you do raise a good point as to when CO2 emissions would have started to have an effect on the climate. Of course, it is not me making the assertion but the National Academy of Sciences.
The sea has been rising since the end of the last ice age. The rise as recorded by modern instruments has been steady and predictable. No matter what graph you look at, very few with modern measurements go back 100 years let alone 150. This may be the one that goes back the longest, I haven't seen otherwise.

Sea Level Trends - State Selection

Attached Thumbnails
Sea Level Rise highest in 6,000 years-battery.png  

Last edited by thecoalman; 10-14-2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
If global warming was real, why is it such a hard sell? Maybe I'd believe in it too if I was also getting paid to...

Old 10-14-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Technically we are still in an Ice Age, we are just coming out of the last [glaciation period] so it stands to reason that sea levels are going to rise. The warming is happening faster than expected due to increase green house gases, however, warming will still happen because of the position of the earth in its orbit in relation to the sun, this means we are in a warming period. Once all of the ice sheets and glaciers are gone then our current Ice Age will have come to an end. In about 20,000 years the earth will start to cycle into another [glaciation period] and it will most likely last for 100,000 years, so the moral of this is, Ice happens and so does warming.
Fixed it for you.

You are exactly right. There has been five major ice-ages in the last 650 million years, and the current one has lasted for 2.58 million years. Every ice-age has long periods of glaciation, and short interglacial periods. We have been enjoying the Holocene Interglacial Period for the last 15,000 years, but it will not last much longer. It should also be noted that the last interglacial period before this one between 130,000 and 115,000 years ago, the Eemian Interglacial Period, was much warmer than the Holocene Interglacial Period has been thus far.

When the polar ice-sheets and the majority of the glaciers around the world start advancing, then we will know the current interglacial period is coming to an end. Our observations indicate that we are not there yet.

You are also correct in that ice-ages are defined by long periods (millions of years) of ice continuously present somewhere on the planet. The shortest ice-age was ~10 million years in duration, and is considered to be the cause of the Silurian/Ordovician extinction event. So it would appear to be more likely that we will experience yet another period of glaciation before this current ice-age ends.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
As always, the Warming Cult asks those of us who lived by the ocean for decades to deny the evidence of our own senses.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The sea has been rising since the end of the last ice age. The rise as recorded by modern instruments has been steady and predictable. No matter what graph you look at, very few with modern measurements go back 100 years let alone 150. This may be the one that goes back the longest, I haven't seen otherwise.

Sea Level Trends - State Selection
Not everywhere.

Skagway, AK: The mean sea level trend is -17.59 mm/year with a 95% confidence interval of +/- 0.56 mm/year based on monthly mean sea level data from 1944 to 2013 which is equivalent to a change of -5.77 feet in 100 years

Juneau, AK: The mean sea level trend is -13.16 mm/year with a 95% confidence interval of +/- 0.37 mm/year based on monthly mean sea level data from 1936 to 2013 which is equivalent to a change of -4.32 feet in 100 years.

Kodiak, AK: The mean sea level trend is -11.05 mm/year with a 95% confidence interval of +/- 0.95 mm/year based on monthly mean sea level data from 1975 to 2013 which is equivalent to a change of -3.63 feet in 100 years.

Valdez, AK: The mean sea level trend is -9.35 mm/year with a 95% confidence interval of +/- 1.69 mm/year based on monthly mean sea level data from 1988 to 2013 which is equivalent to a change of -3.07 feet in 100 years.

Anchorage, AK: The mean sea level trend is -0.75 mm/year with a 95% confidence interval of +/- 1.19 mm/year based on monthly mean sea level data from 1972 to 2013 which is equivalent to a change of -0.25 feet in 100 years.

Source: Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides and Currents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies