Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
gee, the sea level is rising, and we are only 15,000 years out of the last ice age where super massive glaciers had just started melting, do you think that possibly that might have an effect on sea level rise?
Of course it did, but why do you think that the rate of global temperature increase has almost doubled in the last 50 years?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are way too many folks posting on this thread that have not read the report....The report DOES NOT say that sea level is higher 6,000 years ago than it is now....What it says is that the RATE of sea level rise is higher than it has been for 6,000 years.

Sea level and global ice volumes from the Last Glacial Maximum to the Holocene

The last time the sea level was this high was around 120,000 years ago. http://www.cmar.csiro.au/sealevel/images/fig_hist_1.jpg
120,000 years. How tiny of a percentage of the age of the Earth is that? My math is rusty.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Quote:
Of course it did, but why do you think that the rate of global temperature increase has almost doubled in the last 50 years?
Why has there been less warming in the past 16 years than in the past 30-60 with the same or more CO2 being emitted?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
120,000 years. How tiny of a percentage of the age of the Earth is that? My math is rusty.
Who cares, as the age of the earth has nothing to do with what is happening today.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Why has there been less warming in the past 16 years than in the past 30-60 with the same or more CO2 being emitted?
Less atmospheric warming is all we know for sure. The reason for that could be a combination of human and natural factors....Cooling influences....The recent solar minimum, the recent El Ninas, sulphate emissions from China.

Most of the short term influences, with the exception of greenhouse gas emissions and probably volcanoes (but see Neely et al 2013), have had a cooling influence. As a result it is unsurprising that we have seen a reduced rate of warming over the past 16 years. The fact that there has been any warming at all is strongly supportive of the warming effect of greenhouse gas emissions.

As long as the sea levels keep rising that indicates to me that the earth continues to warm.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
I live at 6000' msl..no problem here.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Who cares, as the age of the earth has nothing to do with what is happening today.
Really? You know that for sure? Wow.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I live at 6000' msl..no problem here.
Ouch! You are up there, but how far away are you from the coast?

When I bought my property the elevation was 396 feet. My property has increased in elevation by 3.2E-5 feet since that time. Or, to put it another way: The sea levels near my property (I live just over 5 miles from the coast) have dropped by 3.2E-5 feet since I purchased it.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
There are way too many folks posting on this thread that have not read the report....The report DOES NOT say that sea level is higher 6,000 years ago than it is now....What it says is that the RATE of sea level rise is higher than it has been for 6,000 years.

Sea level and global ice volumes from the Last Glacial Maximum to the Holocene

The last time the sea level was this high was around 120,000 years ago. http://www.cmar.csiro.au/sealevel/images/fig_hist_1.jpg
So what? Who cares about what the sea level was 120k years go? That's what you say when people like me talk about the historical record.

Going from memory, there was a major glaciation occurring 120k years ago. So of course the sea level was lower! Funny how you seem so unfamiliar with geological history. But then again, history may often disagree with your dogma.

See, that's why you AGW folk have no credibility with folk like me.

I understand that with regards to earth geology, things change. ALL the time. We get that there is no such thing as the perfect climate and the perfect sea level, and the perfect ice pack.

Things change.

But you people just continue to believe that you are so powerful that you can stop that change.

EVERYTHING you preach is contingent up your believe that humans are so powerful that all we have to do is implement your agenda, and everything will return to "normal". whatever that means.

To you it is ALL about the control of nature. But what makes you think you can control it?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So what? Who cares about what the sea level was 120k years go?

That's what you say when people like me talk about the historical record.

See, that's why you AGW folk have no credibility with folk like me.

I understand that with regards to earth geology, things change. ALL the time. We get that there is no such thing as the perfect climate and the perfect sea level, and the perfect ice pack.

Things change.

But you people just continue to believe that you are so powerful that you can stop that change.

EVERYTHING you preach is contingent up your believe that humans are so powerful that all we have to do is implement your agenda, and everything will return to "normal". whatever that means.

To you it is ALL about the control of nature. But what makes you think you can control it?
Except that it is not about controlling nature, it is about controlling the masses and social re-engineering through taxation. It is about redistribution of wealth on a global scale. Do make the mistake in believing that they actually intend to accomplish any of their publicly stated objectives. The AGW hoax is merely a Marxist political means to achieve a social end result, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies