Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I want Obama to shut down travel from affected countries.

If you want travel to continue, you should volunteer to put YOUR life and money on the line, rather than volunteering others to sacrifice themselves.

And that goes for everyone here who advocates continuing to allow this insanity to continue.
Sheesh, you really need to ratchet your fear driven rhetoric down a tad. No one is volunteering you for anything beyond what we ourselves are exposed to. "Sacrifice"??? ...... Stop with the over-emotive nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My knee jerk reaction upon reading she was employed by the DC lobby, was to wonder the identities of this firm's current and hopeful clients and if there was a benefit to creating a spectacle.

She may be a whack job or heck, even an opiate/opioid addict. Vomiting and fainting can be a common reaction to too much of a bad thing.

she should be charged like yelling fire in a movie house~

Old 10-18-2014, 11:12 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Sheesh, you really need to ratchet your fear driven rhetoric down a tad. No one is volunteering you for anything beyond what we ourselves are exposed to. "Sacrifice"??? ...... Stop with the over-emotive nonsense.
So....you are advocating continuing to allow travel of Ebola patients to America, because it's no skin off your back.

Gotcha,

Old 10-18-2014, 11:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Airline travel has already been cancelled for the most part only two airlines operate in two countries, three in Guinea.
Just read Air France continues to fly non-stop R/T between Paris and Conakry,Guinea. Reportedly the airline flight attendant union is pushing back, to stop these flights.

On the flip side, are humanitarian and aid volunteers who will be stranded if Air France ceases flights. I have not come across any other international commercial carriers currently flying to/from Guinea. Have I missed something?

WHO now estimates it will need at least $1 billion to prevent Ebola migration. If Mark Zuckerberg were a UN nation, he would be the 5th largest donor at $25 million.

Humanitarianism aside, it might appear simpler for all UN nations to agree to stop all international travel to/from the infected zones and let Ebola run its course. It has been projected that doing so, would cause Ebola to spread like wildfire within Africa.

Nigeria is the economic engine in Africa and it's primarily driven by multinational oil interests and companies that support those interests. One can fly direct/non stop to/from Nigeria from just about every major airport in the world. Who gains or loses if Ebola consumes Nigeria and those oil interests shut down?

Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
no there are 4 hospitals an 11 beds
AAAAARGH! Stop posting your misinformation.

Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia has been designated a ready hospital and will take any kids with the virus. They've been training since August, under their own initiative. They aren't the only ones.

For gods' sake a great deal of the extra expense and potential livelihood killers caused by panic due to misinformation is down to you and people like you.

Nobody stands a chance against it, not the govt, not the state govts, not the CDC, the dept of H&HS, the airlines or the bridal shop owners.

Quit it.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
So....you are advocating continuing to allow travel of Ebola patients to America, because it's no skin off your back.

Gotcha,
Aaah no, that's not what I've been saying at all. I'm saying travel bans from infected countries will not work unless you have figured out how to build a mote around your entire country. Indeed; no western nation should impose a travel ban.

You still have yet to address my point of your travel ban, by it's nature, would also preclude your own citizens being allowed to return home if they have travelled through an area of concern.

Those areas of concern for your nut-job, knee-jerk, reactionary travel ban to be effective, would also include any and all international foreign airports, bus stations, as people have been known to interact with luggage porters, washroom facilities, lunch counters, taxi drivers, shoe shine boys, hookers, ticket agents, light switches, door handles.............

C'mon, get real. The skin I have in the game is exactly of the same value and risk as yours. Step back from your hysteria and think about how you're behaving.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Which is why you should not believe all doctors.
In Africa, if they touch the dead bodies that have died of Ebola, they contract the disease. This is common knowledge.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
In Japan you see about every third person walking around wearing a mask.

#052 Face Masks | 365 Awesome Things about Japan

Maybe the Ebola outbreak in America is going to have America following this trend. I am seeing more and more Americans walking around with the same type of facial masks they wear in Japan.

I asked a couple people who were wearing them why, and they said to protect themselves from Ebola.

(I just laughed!) Your thoughts about America's naïve belief that a facial mask is going to protect them against this deadly event?
People in Japan wear masks when they're under the weather so as to try and not get others sick.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
In Africa, if they touch the dead bodies that have died of Ebola, they contract the disease. This is common knowledge.
This is part of their burial customs--wash the body, touch it, kiss it. As I understand it, the dead body is especially viral-laden and contagious

Those customs--and others--are not going to change after everybody goes home.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Standby....
While the bipartisan voice grows to ban Ebola victims from entering the United States, a new report claims that President Obama is considering a plan to bring the world’s Ebola patients to the United States to be treated.
Judicial Watch, the conservative public watchdog group, says in a shocking report that the president is “actively formulating plans” to admit Ebola-infected non-citizens just to be treated You can't make this stuff up! Watchdog: Obama to bring non-American Ebola victims to U.S. for treatment | WashingtonExaminer.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies