Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 01:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Banning people with passports from affected countries I think would do just as much good and be far cheaper. Those wanting to donate services from our country can take charter flights to/from zones and subject to quarantine before returning.

For the resources "relative to our wealth", we have no "wealth" on the gov side. We are big time in the hole in debt. Whatever the gov spends these days at the fed level, we are paying on the credit card balance/issuing bonds of course backed by foreign countries mostly to fund it all. So many continue to rationalize throwing money to this/that thing is important and we build the mountain of debt/pass it on to the next generation to deal with which I find is highly selfish.

I'm not sure how you run your household but if I had lots of "things" and "trinkets", yet had 100's of k in debt outside of a mortgage, I wouldn't call myself any near wealthy yet this is how our gov is run. But I suppose we are back to a gov that people elect that are largely just a reflection of themselves and since most people run their life around debt, I guess we shouldn't be surprised most people think this is all ok.
I'm not sure how you run your household, but if a sinkhole opened up in your backyard, one would think that you would want to alleviate the risk to your own house.

The United States is part of a global community. What happens in the rest of the world DOES affect us. No matter how much you might want to pretend it doesn't. Sticking your fingers in your ears and muttering, "It's not my problem, it's not my problem, it's not....", doesn't make the problem go away. And when the problem is one that is going to continue to grow and grow and grow, unless the GLOBAL community addresses it, it will one day be your problem. A bigger problem, much harder to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Here we go with the self-appointed Ebola expertise again.

Cite your sources.
The source has been posted here on CD in multiple threads:

MMS: Error

Old 10-21-2014, 01:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not sure how you run your household, but if a sinkhole opened up in your backyard, one would think that you would want to alleviate the risk to your own house.
Of course I would. And we have insurance and an emergency fund to more than cover it as we planned ahead to save for unplanned issues unlike our gov which just rings up the debt further and further.

Quote:
The United States is part of a global community. What happens in the rest of the world DOES affect us. No matter how much you might want to pretend it doesn't. Sticking your fingers in your ears and muttering, "It's not my problem, it's not my problem, it's not....", doesn't make the problem go away. And when the problem is one that is going to continue to grow and grow and grow, unless the GLOBAL community addresses it, it will one day be your problem. A bigger problem, much harder to deal with.
Global community = USA is usually the only one who's the sucker to fund it. And using your logic, I say you have a great point about the GLOBAL community! So let's join the global community and do what most countries do and stay out of other countries issues/problems and keep their money at home.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Of course I would. And we have insurance and an emergency fund to more than cover it as we planned ahead to save for unplanned issues unlike our gov which just rings up the debt further and further.

Global community = USA is usually the only one who's the sucker to fund it. And using your logic, I say you have a great point about the GLOBAL community! So let's join the global community and do what most countries do and stay out of other countries issues/problems and keep their money at home.
Perhaps you missed it, but other countries are assisting the affected countries.

I don't know what kind of person you are, but the fact that you are advocating leaving these people to die from Ebola speaks volumes about you.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Debt worriers frequently cite this flawed analogy. I don't want to get into detail, but there is a difference between household and government debt. The thread is about Ebola, though, so I will leave it there by re-iterating my point: we are better served by stopping Ebola in Africa than dealing with constant "outbreaks" of it in the US.
I'm guessing you would rationalize that we can handle the massive debt because our national income/tax revenue, ie % of debt to GDP, is not bad.

To this I'd say/a similar analogy.....tell a guy who is working a great 300k job and can easily manage lots of CC debt but then loses his job. Or a company that's doing great selling lots of widgets/making great revenue and has lots of debt on the balance sheet they can service......until all of a sudden a bad economy comes in and the revenue tanks. Our nation could easily find itself in that situation, especially with incomes stagnating/dropping, more uneducated people arriving, people working more lower income jobs, in the coming decades having more older people not working/drawing ssn/pensions with overall lower average incomes, etc.

You can't convince my logical/common sense mind that having the staggering debt we have in this nation, and not to mention all the underfunded programs that make our national debt look trivial, as something that's "flawed" or trivial and it's ok to have. That's a bit of denial going on in my book.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Effective tomorrow, those traveling from the affected countries and connecting to commercial US flights will now be limited to 5 US airports for enhanced screening before being allowed to proceed to their final destination. The designated airports are:

Dulles
Newark
O'Hare
Atlanta
JFK

It continues to be reported that 150 people a day depart the affected countries and eventually connect to the U.S. I have not come across any source that is reporting how many of those 150 inbound passengers are citizens of one of those affected countries versus the US or other countries.
How does this change anything on a practical level? Ninety four percent of travelers from the affected countries pass through on of these airports already upon arrival to USA.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you would rationalize that we can handle the massive debt because our national income/tax revenue, ie % of debt to GDP, is not bad.

To this I'd say/a similar analogy.....tell a guy who is working a great 300k job and can easily manage lots of CC debt but then loses his job. Or a company that's doing great selling lots of widgets/making great revenue and has lots of debt on the balance sheet they can service......until all of a sudden a bad economy comes in and the revenue tanks. Our nation could easily find itself in that situation, especially with incomes stagnating/dropping, more uneducated people arriving, people working more lower income jobs, in the coming decades having more older people not working/drawing ssn/pensions with overall lower average incomes, etc.

You can't convince my logical/common sense mind that having the staggering debt we have in this nation, and not to mention all the underfunded programs that make our national debt look trivial, as something that's "flawed" or trivial and it's ok to have. That's a bit of denial going on in my book.
I'm not going to try. The thread is about Ebola and fighting ebola - over there - is money well spent (borrowed). If the debt incurred is simply too much I would suggest we just withhold launching a few Tomahawks and drones in a losing effort in the middle east. That should cover it.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you missed it, but other countries are assisting the affected countries.

I don't know what kind of person you are, but the fact that you are advocating leaving these people to die from Ebola speaks volumes about you.
The fact that you are here on a board, and not on the ground helping people you profess to be so concerned about in another country, also speaks volumes about you. And the fact that you don't put first/care about our own countries myriad of problems that your fellow countryman face....well....look the mirror my friend before you cast stones about others. May I suggest being a big brother, working at a battered woman's shelter, visiting some kids with cancer in your own backyard as a start.

Amazing.....

Old 10-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm not going to try.
Fair enough/that's for the best I think!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Fair enough/that's for the best I think!
You're quick. I added this:

The thread is about Ebola and fighting ebola - over there - is money well spent (borrowed). If the debt incurred is simply too much I would suggest we just withhold launching a few Tomahawks and drones in a losing effort in the middle east. That should cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies