Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not so much. Here's some info on quarantine, written pre-Ebola, from the CDC.
History of Quarantine | Quarantine | CDC
THANK YOU
finally more common sense.

idiots that still oppose quarantine are not medical professionals.
but political quacks.

quarantine is not unreasonable.
just putting her in a tent is, I would put her in a military base instead.
or at least some living quarters instead of just a tent.

to those against quarantines/travel bans.
no 4-5 star hotel sorry we don't have that kind of money but
you will get the same treatment our soldiers coming back home will be getting.

is that not good enough for you?

what you want more?
you are already getting the hero treatment our soldiers...
Why do you think you are a greater hero than our soldiers?....

come on now...
Ms Kaci and others please don't act like a spoiled brat.
(that oops works for the CDC...)

and also Healthcare workers and so called science
YOU better NOT force the vaccination on LOW risk areas when YOU WON'T EVEN quarantine yourselves
or ban travels.

YOU MADE it a high risk area by not banning the travel or quarantining yourselves thus YOU HAVE NO right to force everyone else to take a EXPERIMENTAL vaccine

also
vaccine mutation to the so called person that said vaccines cannot mutate
Mutations explain poor showing of 2012 flu vaccine : Nature News & Comment

vaccines = a few forms
1 = weakened viruses = if done badly can and will mutate
or
2 = chemicals to act like viruses = more allergic reactions that the pharma has been bribing to sweep under the rug so they don't get sued.

thus person saying vaccines cannot mutate = WRONG

NO one better be scared enough here in the states to take the experimental vaccines

After all we don't even have a quarantine.
Why should we be so scared and asked to take it even?
it is a no risk area right? may as well not do the vaccine here.

so then do not ask us to take it thanks.
you can give it to other countries with no money as they ask for donations to take the vaccines then.

Sorry USA gov you better NOT FORCE the vaccine if you are UNWILLING to even close the ebola countries off or quarantine.

so media do not be so blatantly obvious that you are bribed to instill fear into the people such that we will be so scared and then take the vaccine.
if we were then before the vaccine should come the quarantine and travel ban BEFORE it.

shall I repeat? I did it many times already to make it blatantly obvious.

method of choice and level of fear:
1. quarantine
2. travel ban/restrictions
3. taking vaccine-because above 2 failed.

IF we never even attempted 1/2 choices then
doing choice 3 makes NO SENSE.

DRUG COMPANIES YOU BETTER not be intending the american people taking it
because they would be IDIOTS if they did. especially when experimental
and especially since drug companies have been cutting corners.

let them take off experimental FIRST then wait 1-2 more months and the President and all important people take them first then take the vaccine after it has been confirmed no problems.
they are our leaders thus they need to lead by example.

But I hope the vaccine becomes worthless.
As that means there would be no more threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:21 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Um, Maine only wants a home quarantine. The tent thing was way over the top and no one is calling for isolation which is what they did to her in New Jersey - bad play there. What I think, again, is that you need to look to how the courts have come down on the side of states in quarantines. Whether Maine decides to fight it in court or not would be where optics and/or politics may come into play (perhaps that's where both you and Ponderosa are confused). However, if they do, the courts will, because of legal precedence, decide in favor of the state.
When was the last time a quarantine was enforced in the USA prior to this event?

We are not confused whatsoever, your suggestion that the state has some right based upon no evidence to quarantine people to anywhere e.g. taking away liberty is specious.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
It's 2014. Nurses are the most trusted profession in the USA by many polls. The virus is not contagious unless the person is exposed to a dam break of vomitus, feces and sputum. The two nurses who contracted it were like this with M. Duncan RIP. The police power of the state which you appear to minimize is a very serious issue and reserved for police officers and psychiatrists in most of the 50 states. It is not a joking matter. Most statutes reflect changing times this in my opinion will not be the exception.

Can you cite the last mandatory quarantine prior to this in the USA?
I can tell you there was one in our county this year. So yeah, that was easy. It was for a family exposed to TB.

I don't think you get it. It's not about how trustworthy or not nurses are. It's about the law. The law says the state can quarantine. The courts back that. Whether or not people would view Hickox favorably (or trustworthy, etc) or not is something for pollsters, not the court system.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I can tell you there was one in our county this year. So yeah, that was easy. It was for a family exposed to TB.

I don't think you get it. It's not about how trustworthy or not nurses are. It's about the law. The law says the state can quarantine. The courts back that. Whether or not people would view Hickox favorably (or trustworthy, etc) or not is something for pollsters, not the court system.
TB is airborne/droplet.

It's about the perception of putting a trustworthy nurse who risked her life behind bars. Trust me no state is going to walk there willingly. You place your trust in laws I place mine in science.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:31 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:

You are the one who does not get it. The law says you can quarantine upon showing good medically justified cause. There is no good medically justified cause for quarantine or at least no medical people are stepping forward to say what it is. Without that, the courts are going to find that it violates a person's constitutional rights. Unless you can get the doctor's to go along with your plan, it is not going to fly. What court is going to lock up someone for medical reasons when the medical people say they should not? Think about that.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 PM

From the comments on the NY Times today.

KimmSr Michigan 10 hours ago
"Since the flu is far more contagious and many more people get the flu and die from complications why not quarantine all people showing symptoms of the flu as well?"

Old 10-28-2014, 09:33 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
TB is airborne/droplet.

It's about the perception of putting a trustworthy nurse who risked her life behind bars. Trust me no state is going to walk there willingly. You place your trust in laws I place mine in science.
You asked if I knew of a quarantine. I did. Don't go changing the goal posts now.

Again, that's not what I was talking about. I was saying IF Maine decided to fight it in court, they would win. The perception part and all of that - that's only going to be of issue on what Maine decides to do (press the issue or not). But if it gets to the court system, the state will prevail.

I'm also not so sure public perception of Hickox is too good right now either. Just peruse any of the comments on news articles about her and it's not gracious towards her. While nursing as a whole enjoys public favor, I don't know that Hickox is getting the same favor. But again, that has no bearing on possible court action - just commenting on your belief that people will be on her side in the court of public opinion.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are the one who does not get it. The law says you can quarantine upon showing good medically justified cause. There is no good medically justified cause for quarantine or at least no medical people are stepping forward to say what it is. Without that, the courts are going to find that it violates a person's constitutional rights. Unless you can get the doctor's to go along with your plan, it is not going to fly. What court is going to lock up someone for medical reasons when the medical people say they should not? Think about that.
Yep. That is the truth. Ms. Wilcox is brave imho.

I hope she stays symptom free. Hubris is typically not liked by the universe. She advances science hopefully it won't bite her in the rear.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
and also Healthcare workers and so called science
YOU better NOT force the vaccination on LOW risk areas when YOU WON'T EVEN quarantine yourselves
or ban travels.

YOU MADE it a high risk area by not banning the travel or quarantining yourselves thus YOU HAVE NO right to force everyone else to take a EXPERIMENTAL vaccine
No one will be forced to take an experimental vaccine.

Quote:
vaccine mutation to the so called person that said vaccines cannot mutate

vaccines = a few forms
1 = weakened viruses = if done badly can and will mutate
or
2 = chemicals to act like viruses = more allergic reactions that the pharma has been bribing to sweep under the rug so they don't get sued.

thus person saying vaccines cannot mutate = WRONG

NO one better be scared enough here in the states to take the experimental vaccines
The influenza virus mutates. If the mutation changes the virus enough, the vaccine will not work. The vaccine does not mutate, the virus does.

You need not worry about even being offered the chance to take an Ebola vaccine here in the US unless you are a health care worker who could conceivably be exposed to it.

None of the proposed Ebola vaccines will contain a virus capable of replicating. Only part of the virus will be used. It will not be a "weakened virus" that can in some way be "done badly"

There are no chemicals "to act like viruses".

Quote:
After all we don't even have a quarantine.
Why should we be so scared and asked to take it even?
it is a no risk area right? may as well not do the vaccine here.

so then do not ask us to take it thanks.
you can give it to other countries with no money as they ask for donations to take the vaccines then.

Sorry USA gov you better NOT FORCE the vaccine if you are UNWILLING to even close the ebola countries off or quarantine.

so media do not be so blatantly obvious that you are bribed to instill fear into the people such that we will be so scared and then take the vaccine.
if we were then before the vaccine should come the quarantine and travel ban BEFORE it.

shall I repeat? I did it many times already to make it blatantly obvious.

method of choice and level of fear:
1. quarantine
2. travel ban/restrictions
3. taking vaccine-because above 2 failed.

IF we never even attempted 1/2 choices then
doing choice 3 makes NO SENSE.
No one will make you take an Ebola vaccine if you do not want to. However, if you were exposed to Ebola and refused an effective vaccine, you would be very foolish.

Quote:
DRUG COMPANIES YOU BETTER not be intending the american people taking it
because they would be IDIOTS if they did. especially when experimental
and especially since drug companies have been cutting corners.

let them take off experimental FIRST then wait 1-2 more months and the President and all important people take them first then take the vaccine after it has been confirmed no problems.
they are our leaders thus they need to lead by example.

But I hope the vaccine becomes worthless.
As that means there would be no more threat.
There is far more threat from Ebola to the people who will be offered the vaccine than from a vaccine itself. When a vaccine is available it would be idiotic not to use it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Yep. That is the truth. Ms. Wilcox is brave imho.

I hope she stays symptom free. Hubris is typically not liked by the universe. She advances science hopefully it won't bite her in the rear.
That's for sure. All bets are off if she comes down with Ebola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies