Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,778 times

Advertisements

I've spoken to 10 people at college and only 3 of them have heard/known about the Holocaust, everyone else hasn't heard of it, nor have they heard about concentration camps, Mussolini, Stalin or the USSR.

Do you guys know about it (without Googling)?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:25 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
Most college students are dumber than a bag of hammers. This is the result of the public education system which has been controlled by the left for 50 years.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
OMG......you have got to be kidding!!!!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 AM

But so far, the people I've met at college:
A) Don't know about the Holocaust.
B) The definition of 'Genocide'
C) Don't know about Mussolini, Stalin or Lenin
D) Persistently Watch Fox News and Say "I refuse to pay taxes because it goes to lazy people who refuse to work, like disabled people and women who constantly get pregnant" AND had a refugee say "we need to close our borders to stop people stealing our social security"

Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
You're from Manhattan.....stop with the lies.....there isn't a conservative within 100 miles of a college campus in NYC.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I've spoken to 10 people at college and only 3 of them have heard/known about the Holocaust, everyone else hasn't heard of it, nor have they heard about concentration camps, Mussolini, Stalin or the USSR.

Have read about it most of my adult life have many books on the subject along with documentaries and was born not all that far from one in Bavaria and have visited there. The sad thing is has been repeated several times since, meaning mankind has still not learned what it means to be Human.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Which one?
I'm sure you are referring to the Jewish holocaust during the 30s and continuing throughout WWII, but there have been others that happened before and afterward.

Some of the worst were inflicted on the Armenians, the Cambodians, the Bosnian Croats, and the Rwandan Tutsis.
The Armenians were nearly wiped out pre- WWI. All the others I mentioned occurred after WWII. the last 2 occurred in the 90s.

I was born in 1944. By the time I was 5, I knew about the Jewish holocaust. if your college isn't teaching anything on the subject, it's a recent development, I think. And at the college level, learning about it would depend on a person's major to some degree, I'm sure. Now that we are in the 2nd decade of the 21st century, I'm sure modern history courses have changed their emphasis away from the 20th century to some degree.

Sorry, Ed. Today's students aren't any dumber than those of your generation. The young only learn what is presented to them in school, and only begin to discover what's not taught in school on their own. That is the way it's always been.

Kids growing up from the 50s to the turn of the century learned about the Jewish holocaust from their veteran grandparents, and by 2000, many of these guys had died. 14 years later, WWII vets are quickly vanishing.

When I was young, I first learned about WWI from my grandfather, a vet of that war, and learned about WWII from my uncle, a vet of that war. These days, kids are learning about Viet Nam from their grandfathers. By 2020, kids will be learning about Iraq and Afghanistan from their grandfathers.

Gotta keep up, Ed. There's a generation of adults now who never knew a time when no one owned a personal computer.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:

I know it is something I never want happening again. This is what happens when someone like Hitler comes to power. Hitler knew how to take advantage of people's anger, and turned people against the Jews, and then turned them against other groups. His idea was to commit a genocide and get rid of those he considered "inferior". The largest group he murdered was Jews, but they weren't the only ones. He singled the Jews out for extermination. He also went after other groups. He went after Protestants, Catholics, mentally retarded, Roma people, homosexuals, handicapped, Blacks(yes, there were Blacks in the camps), and even some White American soldiers went to the camps. Basically anyone he deemed "untermensch". He committed a slaughter and it was based on racism. His idea was to "get the Third Reich" to have a "race of superior people".

I learned about the Holocaust in the 4th and 5th grade. It started with my teacher having us read the Diary of Anne Frank. And then I learned more in the 5th grade. It gave me nightmares.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You're from Manhattan.....stop with the lies.....there isn't a conservative within 100 miles of a college campus in NYC.
They don't consider themselves conservative; They consider themselves progressive.

Most of them are international (Dutch, Spanish, British).

I'm not going to mention the city where I'm studying, but it's a city famous for it's university in the western world. The college I attend is not the university the city is famous for. That is all.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
But so far, the people I've met at college:
A) Don't know about the Holocaust.
B) The definition of 'Genocide'
C) Don't know about Mussolini, Stalin or Lenin
D) Persistently Watch Fox News and Say "I refuse to pay taxes because it goes to lazy people who refuse to work, like disabled people and women who constantly get pregnant" AND had a refugee say "we need to close our borders to stop people stealing our social security"
Include
E) "I never expect I'll get any of the social security I'll get deducted from my taxes. The baby boomers will bum off of me for all my life."

I've heard that one a lot, from college kids and working kids alike.

America has never been a nation to spend much time studying history. History as a required subject has been on the decline in schools for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies