Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should America just split up?
Yes 23 38.98%
No 32 54.24%
Not Sure 3 5.08%
Other - explain 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Keep talking. Case closed.
Very wise of you to close your case when no response came up for you. Other conservative posters would be wise to share your prudence in knowing when to turn away, may you have a pleasant day

Old 10-16-2014, 06:21 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I went with "No."

At the root of it, leaving the Union, this has been tried before. The Union doesnt just simply let parts of it leave. 674K+ died in The Civil War, but the Union remained one. It's not going to happen, unless maybe if people pull up roots and naturally gravitate to certain areas on their own, with no political statement, like, "we are our own country now."

People have tried otherwise, and always brought the scrutiny of the Federal government down on themselves. What do you need it for?
If a clear majority in all regions of the country favored separation, there would be a separation.

Had the South not fired the first shot in 1861, they probably would've won their independence. The war was not terribly popular in the North even as things stood.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
even if the US were broken up into two countries, the new countries would still be too large.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:26 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
I really find it interesting the ignorance that appears when a ridiculous question like this appears. I am going to get my popcorn and sit back and read the stupid replies. Looks like we have a couple of good ones already.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
A couple of things:

Again, this thread isn't to blame one side or the other, just to see if it would be mutually beneficial if we split.

Some people apparently didn't read... I acknowledged that yes, there are people of both cultures in the opposing parts of the country. This is why they should be given ample opportunity to choose which country they should live in.

I would certainly say that if separation was tried again today, that there would not be another civil war. There just isn't the appetite in this country for war, and the hatred on both sides favors a mutually agreed split. If Texas, for example, wanted to split... they could split and take whomever they wanted, and the rest of the country probably couldn't care less.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I really find it interesting the ignorance that appears when a ridiculous question like this appears. I am going to get my popcorn and sit back and read the stupid replies. Looks like we have a couple of good ones already.
Is offering any actual facts beneath your dignity?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
A couple of things:

Again, this thread isn't to blame one side or the other, just to see if it would be mutually beneficial if we split.

Some people apparently didn't read... I acknowledged that yes, there are people of both cultures in the opposing parts of the country. This is why they should be given ample opportunity to choose which country they should live in.

I would certainly say that if separation was tried again today, that there would not be another civil war. There just isn't the appetite in this country for war, and the hatred on both sides favors a mutually agreed split. If Texas, for example, wanted to split... they could split and take whomever they wanted, and the rest of the country probably couldn't care less.
I must admit, there are several states that I wouldn't mind seeing go..I wouldn't cry over Mississippi or Texas leaving.

But as long.as my state remains in the union, I'm good.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
It doesn't need to split up because it's been split up for many years now !!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 PM

553 posts, read 595,855 times
Four years ago I thought we probably would split, but in about three weeks the Liberals are going to get an incredible drubbing and in two years that will extend to the White House, after that it will be several decades before the Liberals can again dominate the government--so why should we leave now? We've almost won! Belive me, it will take decades for the Liberals to recover from the kind of beating they're about to take. You don't have to believe me, believe the leading Liberals themselves: In the months right after Obama won in 2008 the leading Libs were on all the Sunday morning talk shows agush about everything they were going to do--and every last one of them said, "We'll never have another opportunity like this in our lifetime."

Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
No because people of different politics aren't separated by some wall, they're too integrated with each other and you can't really define where do draw the line. I'd think it'd be awesome living in the liberal intelligent country but I'd feel too sad for the normal people who were left behind in the new Christian Taliban country in the South. It'd also be frightening for religious zealots to have their hands on a nuclear weapon as our neighbor, the nutjobs would be roused by Rush Limbaugh or their president Ted Cruz to do some seriously evil stuff and ethnic cleansing.
And you think people aren't separated by a wall after spouting a solid wall of liberal ignorance and bigotry. People like you are why some want to split the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies