Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are Clinton's 3 biggest accomplishments?
Bank Deregulation that he was "proud to sign into law" and that Obama blames as the primary cause for the current mess 13 54.17%
Final days: full of Pardons and missing White House furniture 6 25.00%
Bubbles: Housing Market Bubble building in the 1990s, Dot Com Bubble, Declining Industrial Investment 6 25.00%
Multiple women accusing him of rape and over a dozen women accusing him of sexual harrassment/assault 14 58.33%
Every proposed Clinton budget had a deficit, didn't pass a single one, said he opposed Republican push for balanced budgets - yet takes credit 3 12.50%
Whiffed on Bin Laden 8 33.33%
Sanctions responsible for 1,000,000 dead Iraqis, bombing a medicine factory, Kosovo 3 12.50%
Not knowing the definition of "is" 6 25.00%
Ignoring genocide in Africa 5 20.83%
Increased outsourcing/trade deficit to China, pushed China into WTO and new trade deal 11 45.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,480,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While a lot of the poll is partisan sniping, the banking dereg and NAFTA which was strangely left off the poll were key parts of the Clinton presidency. Now while NAFTA had winners and losers, most of the winners were corporations and not the little guy meme that get's pushed.
I hope you realize that NAFTA was a Republican crafted treaty. Something the GOP had been working on since 1984. To blame Clinton for NAFTA is truly bizarre and demonstrates a clear disconnect from reality. But I should have figured as much from someone who has no concept of what a "veto-proof majority" means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What surplus?

That one dreamed up on paper?
Actualy, there were three years of budget surpluses, 1998, 1999, and 2000.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,965,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I don't think Reagan was a "great" president. Did you realize that this thread was in response to a LWNJ's thread on Reagan?
Yet this thread remains long after that one was closed. It actually didn't make it but a few hours. Typical.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 AM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I hope you realize that NAFTA was a Republican crafted treaty. Something the GOP had been working on since 1984. To blame Clinton for NAFTA is truly bizarre and demonstrates a clear disconnect from reality. But I should have figured as much from someone who has no concept of what a "veto-proof majority" means.
Clinton Urges Executives To Lobby For Nafta Campaigning Hard, He Predicted A Narrow Victory. A Powerful Democrat Yesterday Declared His Opposition. - Philly.com

Quote:
"You all have to be missionaries," Clinton said. "We only have 17 days or so. We need you to go out and make sure that your members of Congress, every man and woman in the Congress that you can reach, is contacted by real people who say, 'My life will be better.' "

Besides prodding members of Congress himself over the next two weeks, Clinton plans to travel Thursday to Lexington, Ky., to tour a high-tech plant to promote NAFTA, White House spokeswoman Dee Dee Myers said.

High-profile endorsements - from Nobel Prize-winning economists to former secretaries of state - are expected to be heralded today. The actual NAFTA legislation is expected to be sent to Congress this week.

The controversial free trade pact would eliminate trade barriers among the United States, Mexico and Canada over 15 years.

Opponents, notably labor unions and many House Democrats, say it will cost U.S. jobs, as companies move their plants to Mexico, where labor costs are cheaper.
You are extremely useful.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You might want to consider a reading comprehension course.

I said the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999 passed a Republican controlled Congress with a veto-proof majority, and it did. What part of the Senate vote (90-8-2) and and House vote (362-57-15) escapes your grasp? Or do you not comprehend the meaning of "veto-proof majority?"
You were implying that it was the republicans with the veto proof majority instead of being honest and stating that it had broad bi-partisan support....including Clinton.

Pretty much at this point you've shown that you'll find an excuse for anything just as long as you can keep your "everything dem is good, everything rep is bad" worldview.

You don't even have principals, a platform, nothing.....you are just blind (D) no matter what they do.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM

Let's see who else voted for Gramm-Leach-Bliley....

Biden, Fienstein, Kerry, Kennedy, Daaschle, John Edwards, Rockefeller, Schumer....

Darn republicans, it's all their fault they made Clinton sign it. Oh wait...those are Republicans.

In fact, hmmm.....hasn't every presidential ticket since Clinton left office had a NAFTA and Gramm-Leach signer on it?

Isn't it nice that Republicans and Democrats are so much alike? That way we don't have to feel bad when we get screwed over by them because the other guy would have done it too.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You were implying that it was the republicans with the veto proof majority instead of being honest and stating that it had broad bi-partisan support....including Clinton.

Pretty much at this point you've shown that you'll find an excuse for anything just as long as you can keep your "everything dem is good, everything rep is bad" worldview.

You don't even have principals, a platform, nothing.....you are just blind (D) no matter what they do.
ROFLMAO! So I am a Democrat now. Boy, if that does not amply demonstrate your complete disconnect from reality I do not know what will.

For your edification I utterly despise Democrats. The Democratic Party the greatest enemy the US has ever known. Even a cursory glance at my previous posts should have demonstrated at least that much.

I stated a simple fact that "the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999 passed a Republican controlled Congress with a veto-proof majority." You assumed I was implying that Republicans held a veto-proof majority in Congress. I never said, or even hinted, at such a thing, but since when has reality ever stopped the self-deluded?

You must be completely ignorant about how your own government functions to assume that a bill passed with a veto-proof majority means a single political party in Congress has to have a veto-proof majority.

To further improve your understanding of basic civics, I will also inform you that when a bill passes Congress with a veto-proof majority there is not a damn thing the President can do about it, either way. Such a bill becomes law, regardless of the President's desires.

Posting Clinton quotes about how he supported NAFTA does not change the fact that NAFTA was written by the GOP in 1984. Bush41 originally introduced NAFTA to a Democrat controlled Senate in 1989, but it was rejected by the Democrat controlled Senate Foreign Relations Committee. After the GOP took back control of the Senate in 1994 Clinton reintroduced NAFTA and it passed the Republican controlled Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Big surprise there.

Those are the facts. No implications, no subliminal messages, no hidden text between the lines. Just the facts. So you can take your delusions elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
ROFLMAO! So I am a Democrat now. Boy, if that does not amply demonstrate your complete disconnect from reality I do not know what will.

For your edification I utterly despise Democrats. The Democratic Party the greatest enemy the US has ever known. Even a cursory glance at my previous posts should have demonstrated at least that much.

I stated a simple fact that "the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999 passed a Republican controlled Congress with a veto-proof majority." You assumed I was implying that Republicans held a veto-proof majority in Congress. I never said, or even hinted, at such a thing, but since when has reality ever stopped the self-deluded?

You must be completely ignorant about how your own government functions to assume that a bill passed with a veto-proof majority means a single political party in Congress has to have a veto-proof majority.

To further improve your understanding of basic civics, I will also inform you that when a bill passes Congress with a veto-proof majority there is not a damn thing the President can do about it, either way. Such a bill becomes law, regardless of the President's desires.

Posting Clinton quotes about how he supported NAFTA does not change the fact that NAFTA was written by the GOP in 1984. Bush41 originally introduced NAFTA to a Democrat controlled Senate in 1989, but it was rejected by the Democrat controlled Senate Foreign Relations Committee. After the GOP took back control of the Senate in 1994 Clinton reintroduced NAFTA and it passed the Republican controlled Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Big surprise there.

Those are the facts. No implications, no subliminal messages, no hidden text between the lines. Just the facts. So you can take your delusions elsewhere.
So in your opinion Clinton has no responsibility for NAFTA or the GLB act of 1999?

I guess Biden neither because although he signed it, it would have passed anyway.

Wow, you should be a political consultant.

P.S. By your logic Bush II isn't responsible for the invasion of Iraq...becuase pushing hard for something and lobbying for it and so forth doesn't mean you are in any way responsible.

lol.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times
Quote:
That is true, the Republicans did not have a veto-proof majority in 1999. What has that have to do with anything?

The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999 passed the House 362 to 57, with 15 not voting, and passed the Senate 90 to 8, with 2 not voting. That is a veto-proof majority.

So it did not matter what Clinton wanted or not, the repeal of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 was going to happen regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch
It was the Republican controlled Congress that passed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999, repealing of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933, with a veto-proof majority
It has to do with this.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,524,504 times
yawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies