Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,101,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
No, it was a church but it had it's church status removed by The State in order to allow this to happen.
It was a business. It may have been a church first, but once it's a business, it must follow the rules of other businesses. As I said, they already don't pay taxes and are Christianity is the most influential (socially and politically) religious group in the US. What, they need more privileges? Now they can become a business but not be subjected to the same rules? That's discrimination by the state for favoring Christianity, which they already do anyway, but this would be an obvious display of that.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yawn. This debate is pretty much going no where because you've assigned a belief to me that I don't hold. I'm well aware they're operating a business and I'm well aware what they're doing is illegal. What I'm questioning is jail time for the offense. Why don't you focus on that and quit the strawmen. You seem to have a strong opinion, so maybe you can tell me how many years of prison does this couple deserve?
Does Idaho have a statute noting possible jail time for this sort of offense?
If so, when did it go into effect?

If others have been jailed for similar offenses under the statute, then it seems reasonable that this couple could reasonably expect the same.

Or is this the first time that jail time has been threatened?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:59 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,484,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They are not operating a Church they are operating a Business, when that sinks in you are going to feel as foolish as you sound. Did you even bother to read your own link, me thinks you read until you become sufficiently outraged and ran here to post it, maybe you should have thought about it just a little longer and read the complete article. They may very well end up in jail and fined if they continue to not follow the law and continue to marry straight couples, that would be their choice.
All they have to do to avoid this situation is to re-organize as a legal non-profit church that has no congregation and makes all its money from compulsory "donations" from strangers who want a marriage ceremony - and find a way around that pesky non-profit definition that is an organization that uses surplus revenues to achieve its goals rather than distributing them as profit or dividends to the organizers.

"Designation as a nonprofit does not mean that the organization does not intend to make a profit, but rather that the organization has no owners and that the funds realized in the operation of the organization will not be used to benefit any owners."

22,210 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
No, it was a church but it had it's church status removed by The State in order to allow this to happen.
False, they decided they wanted to become for-profit, which meant they need to abide by Business rules and regulations. They somehow want to be for-profit, but not abide by business rules.

25,231 posts, read 16,962,984 times
Quote:
Yawn. This debate is pretty much going no where because you've assigned a belief to me that I don't hold. I'm well aware they're operating a business and I'm well aware what they're doing is illegal. What I'm questioning is jail time for the offense. Why don't you focus on that and quit the strawmen. You seem to have a strong opinion, so maybe you can tell me how many years of prison does this couple deserve?
All court orders have that same threat, if you are found to be not following a court order the judge has the power to sentence you to contempt of court and this couple seems bent on pushing that judge to exactly that, their choice if they end up in jail, I have ZERO sympathy for them.

2,776 posts, read 3,990,783 times
I see a bigger problem... why is it that churches who are not-for-profit (and thus don't pay taxes) are allowed to discriminate while businesses who are for profit (and thus taxed all to heck) are not? Something doesn't smell right there. How about we eliminate discrimination all together when a legal service is being provided (a marriage license in this case), but allow it in other situations letting the chips fall where they may. I mean seriously, businesses of any kind will develop bad reputations if word gets out about their discrimination.

The solution actually may be a lot simpler even still... take this idea of marriage and remove it from the US Law Books completely. No one should get taxed more or less being married and make the whole idea just religious instead of something regulated and taxed.

In terms of the punishment assigned to this discrimination case, I would hope the Judge can be as lenient as they want when this goes to Court. Many years of jail time is ridiculous as is a massive fine, but what would make sense is to take away this particular couple's ability to provide marriage licenses for breaking a clearly written law.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
Quote:
I didn't comment on merits of the lawsuit. I commented on them being threatened with jail time. And I commented on the slippy slope that taking away churches' tax exemption could theoretically mean.

The title *you* chose for the thread is Christian Ministers threatened with fines and jail time for refusing to marry same-sex couples.

And not - Owners of wedding chapel threatened with fines and jail time for refusing to comply with town anti-discrimination ordinance.

The story *you* quoted does not mention at all the loss of anyone's tax-exempt status. Because, of course, the wedding chapel is not tax-exempt.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Wow, really? Please do share where you learned this information.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,962,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
All they have to do to avoid this situation is to re-organize as a legal non-profit church that has no congregation and makes all its money from compulsory "donations" from strangers who want a marriage ceremony - and find a way around that pesky non-profit definition that is an organization that uses surplus revenues to achieve its goals rather than distributing them as profit or dividends to the organizers.

"Designation as a nonprofit does not mean that the organization does not intend to make a profit, but rather that the organization has no owners and that the funds realized in the operation of the organization will not be used to benefit any owners."
To bad those laws are not more strictly enforced, were they there would be a lot more "ministers" doing jail time, especially some of the scabs running TV programs to scam the faithful and desperate

Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,638,563 times
The homosexual has this angry vendetta attitude going on that should be squelched and redirected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies