Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM

366 posts, read 452,580 times

Advertisements

You and your post apocalyptic group are walking down the street when suddenly you meet a group of 6. Their food supplies are running out and they ask to join you. Due to your own supply issues you may only pick 2 of them and the rest will starve and die.
The Six Survivors:
1. Male:An experienced lawyer who went to a top 50 law school.
Age:50 Experience: 25 years in Contractual and Civil Suit Law
He received a 3.9 GPA in college and was always a spectacular asset to the community. He donated his time to the animal shelter and paid for a wing at a local high school
Cons: Had an alcohol problem during his divorce

2. Male: Mid-level(borderline senior) Finance Manager who went to a local college for his MBA
Age:48 Experience: 20 years in management and 23 in finance. Has a strong grasp of accounting
He received a 3.5 GPA in college and gives money to the homeless. He was an excellent saver/investor and had over 2 million in net worth before the apocalypse occurred.
Cons: He has anxiety issues and is slightly overweight

3. Male: Librarian at the local library
He received a 3.3 GPA at a local state school and had 3 children and a wife before the apocalypse
Cons: Needs glasses to have normal vision

4/5. Male/Female: McDonalds Employees
They have 2.0 GPAs and would have passed HS... Barely.... Wanted to work at McD's for the rest of their lives and have limited cooking skills
Cons: They smoke weed frequently and take Oxycontin. They aren't very intelligent

6. Female: Macy's worker
Attempted college but dropped out with a 2.0. She dreamed of being a fashion model and having her own line one day.
Cons: Smokes weed, received bad employee reviews from her employer, and is noticeably ditzy. Has no survival skills and relies on men to do her work for her.

These are the six survivors. Whom of these would you choose to survive with your group? Please argue your case for why you chose them.
*EDIT*
I'd like to add another contender: Out of the shadows walks a 7th man. He does not count as one of the two. He is basically a freebie if you choose him
Male: Surgeon
Worked for a non profit hospital and was considered the best doctor at the hospital
Cons: Needs to take anti-psychotic medication or he is prone to bursts of violence or insanity. Is humane most of the time but these outbursts are unpredictable. The outbursts are less likely when he is around either or both his friends the MBA and the lawyer (both of them make the outbursts far rarer).

Last edited by MrBR; 10-29-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
librarian and female mcdonalds worker.

We can find glasses-maybe not a perfect match, but good enough. Additionally it may depend on the strength of the prescription, but its also possible to find contacts, or even grind the lenses if needed. Not a deal breaker. If his wife or kids become too much of a personal issue he will only cost a round of ammo if he decides to check out.

Female McDonald worker. The male librarian is adding the smarts and labor, the mcdonalds worker is adding just labor.

All the others are either too old, or just not capable enough, or have issues we can't afford.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
I'll pass on all of them.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Survivor 2 and 3.

Reasons for #2: 20 years of management experience means 20 years of handling all manner of unexpected problems and doing so well enough to keep being in management long enough to amass 20 years on the job. Handling the unexpected is a very valuable skillset in the zombie apocalypse. Chances are good that Survivor #2 also knows how to facilitate and keep the peace between rival factions in any group setting. Again, not a bad thing to have around.

Reasons for #3: Young, male and works around books. Right off the bat, anyone who works in a library knows where books are. They know where other libraries are, and where other repositories of books might be. In the zombie apocalypse, you go back to the mid 17th century for food, water, medicine, first aid, hygiene, clothing, shelter, warmth, comfort, etc. Can't speak for anyone else, but I have nowhere near the knowledge of how to facilitate all that a la the 17th Century, but books do. Most valuable thing after basic survival equipment in any apocalypse scenario is physical books.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:32 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'll pass on all of them.
We agree there.

OP I am curious how you are going to tie this in with Politics?

Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 PM

366 posts, read 452,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
We agree there.

OP I am curious how you are going to tie this in with Politics?
It's a controversy, I personally feel its a compelling debate on moral, societal, and intellectual value.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:36 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
It's a controversy, I personally feel its a compelling debate on moral, societal, and intellectual value.
Not as compelling as you might think.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:36 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
I would pick the Librarian and Lawyer.

The Lawyer brings no major personal or health baggage to the equation but given his former profession, would be willing to be cut throat if necessary. Given the type of environment we would be enduring, I think a somewhat cut throat personality could be beneficial. His age, while older than ideal for any hard labor, is not necessarily too old either and should not be a hindrance to any necessary physical work.

The Librarian has both age and knowledge to bring to the table. He is young and seemingly would be able to do any kind of physical work easier. In addition, as a librarian, his exposure to knowledge and material that could be useful would be an asset. He could potentially advise on everything from medical treatment to agriculture to foraging given the wide breadth of material he may have consumed via books. Additionally, given his former family dynamic, he could be a good foil to the lawyer and be a community minded type of influence when the situation warranted.

I have to say I wish there was a blue collar worker or a country boy in the bunch. Either of them would be an incredibly useful personality to have in this type of situation.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Not as compelling as you might think.
I thought it was a fun question! So you don't speak for everyone here. Made me think hard about what I would value if our comforts of society were removed from us.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Survivor 2 and 3.

Reasons for #2: 20 years of management experience means 20 years of handling all manner of unexpected problems and doing so well enough to keep being in management long enough to amass 20 years on the job. Handling the unexpected is a very valuable skillset in the zombie apocalypse. Chances are good that Survivor #2 also knows how to facilitate and keep the peace between rival factions in any group setting. Again, not a bad thing to have around.

Reasons for #3: Young, male and works around books. Right off the bat, anyone who works in a library knows where books are. They know where other libraries are, and where other repositories of books might be. In the zombie apocalypse, you go back to the mid 17th century for food, water, medicine, first aid, hygiene, clothing, shelter, warmth, comfort, etc. Can't speak for anyone else, but I have nowhere near the knowledge of how to facilitate all that a la the 17th Century, but books do. Most valuable thing after basic survival equipment in any apocalypse scenario is physical books.
I was back and forth on the finance guy for the same reason but his anxiety issues made me shy away from him. I'm right there with you on the librarian. I kind of wanted to be a librarian when I was a little kid. Yeah, I was a dork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies