Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The truth is that Americans do not want extreme government interference in their healthcare.

Hell, Americans do not want extreme government interference in their lives, PERIOD!

The Federal government no longer preserves our liberties, they push programs and bills, that slowly take them one by one.

You & I, do not have the life choices we had, just 20 years ago. Surely not 50 years ago and certainly not 100 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would guarantee that well over half of the 47% cannot tell you what is in the ACA or who it applied to. That is the part that is RW propaganda. The belief that it involves government issued insurance is very deeply embedded and hopelessly wrong.

The repudiation of the Democrats last night was much more that the democrats stayed home. They will not in 2016.

And when the Democrats come roaring back in 2016 you will agree that it is all due to the awful performance of the Republicans in 2015 and 2016? Kind of neat. We can prepackage it all now.

And of course at that time you will agree that Big Government is what we really want?
The only people wanting big Government are the lazy ones wanting to stand in line with their hands out waiting for the next freebie. AND...those same people want Government to sink everyone to their same toilet levels so they don't feel like such losers. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
McConnell says they need to "fix" it because (A) repeal is not an option; and (B) Kentucky has a very popular state exchange.
Does it need fixed, or does it not? If not, why do they keep delaying much of the employer mandates?

Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,249,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, actually it wasn't.

People still favor single payer. It is more cost-effective.
Had we gone Single Payer...the GoP would not be back in control of Congress.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,674,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hell, Americans do not want extreme government interference in their lives, PERIOD!

The Federal government no longer preserves our liberties, they push programs and bills, that slowly take them one by one.

You & I, do not have the life choices we had, just 20 years ago. Surely not 50 years ago and certainly not 100 years ago.
Name one "life choice" that you had in 1994 that you do not have now.

12,973 posts, read 15,815,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Pre ACA there was 36 million uninsured americans, the number currently sits at 41 million.

I though the goal was to insure every american, not increase the numbers of uninsured?
The national uninsured rate among working age-adults dropped from 20 percent in July–September 2013 to 15 percent in April–June 2014.---Commonwealth Fund Survey

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would guarantee that well over half of the 47% cannot tell you what is in the ACA or who it applied to. That is the part that is RW propaganda. The belief that it involves government issued insurance is very deeply embedded and hopelessly wrong.

The repudiation of the Democrats last night was much more that the democrats stayed home. They will not in 2016.

And when the Democrats come roaring back in 2016 you will agree that it is all due to the awful performance of the Republicans in 2015 and 2016? Kind of neat. We can prepackage it all now.

And of course at that time you will agree that Big Government is what we really want?
Same as when the electorate voted in Obama. I knew he was for big government. He was clear about that. I recognized that the electorate chose that path. I hoped that they would come to their senses. I want to believe the midterms was showing that to be true - we did come to our sense. Yes, 2016 will be a litmus test, not only for how much the electorate wants their Federal government involved in their daily lives but also on how the GOP has performed at governing from Congress the past two years.

I'm not a person who denies the reality. I'm pretty reasonable actually. But I ask the same. The numbers with which the Republicans won last night was not simply from some Democrats staying home. We won the Independents and where the Independents go, the elections goes.

As to if Americans understand or not Obamacare, I can't say that for sure one way or the other. I would think, given the intense media coverage of the issue, that the electorate has a pretty decent understanding of the law.

12,149 posts, read 8,426,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You are smoking something totally awesome if you think the GOP has any desire to "fix" healthcare. It was working just fine for them, thankyouverymuch, BEFORE Obamacare came and ruined the party.

This is the GOP healthcare plan: "I've got my insurance -- what's your friggin problem?"

Billo The Clown's comments after the 2012 election summed it up. "People want things. Obama gives them things." In other words, screw poor people and their non-insured asses.

Somewhere between 75 to 85% of all Americans get their healthcare from their employer. Less than half Americans identify as republicans. Math is your friend. Emotional comments are usually failures.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,815,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
The only people wanting big Government are the lazy ones wanting to stand in line with their hands out waiting for the next freebie. AND...those same people want Government to sink everyone to their same toilet levels so they don't feel like such losers. Not. Going. To. Happen.
And they stayed away from the polls yesterday...so apparently they are not nearly as motivated as you believe. But they will be back in force in 2016...Ain't that a betch...

Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I thought she was a retired phone operator!
Yep, Bellsouth. That's what we had down here. They had a routine of giving caller information to NSA for all calls, but it was not a big deal because GOP was in charge of all branches of government at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies