Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I've heard people try to say that both are diseases that cannot be helped, but I'm not sure about that. I know plenty of people who have fallen on seriously hard times, that almost don't do at all or never use period, either drugs or booze. My point, seems to me, that there's got to be some personal responsibility and if you're doing something illegal (drugs anyway) that clouds your mind, even more, than you should suffer, sorry.
People who abuse drugs run the serious risk of becoming dependent on them -- in other words, needing drugs just to get through an ordinary day. A lot of people suffer from PTSD using drugs to mask the pain. I see you are very judgmental.

EVERYBODY makes bad choices. If you don't want give these poor homeless a place to stay, that is fine. But don't be so judgmental, that is not very "Christ" like, don't you think? They don't owe you an explanation of their past, if you have a homeless shelter, I would imagine you would like to give every homeless a fair chance.

By the way, in my spare time, I study to become a counselor because I enjoy helping people. Number one rule is to create a non-judgmental Environment for these folks. Condemning them is not going to help you, them, or society as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
So you are suggesting the gov't run this 'program?' How would it be funded? Would it be private donations? Of course not.

So let's have a serious discussion - gov't only raises money by taxing citizens. So just call it what it is. You want to take my money, the money I earn to provide my family a nice life by waking up early every morning and busting my hump for 12 hours per day. And you want to give that to other people, the majority of which are in that position bc of their own life choices.

So just humor me - what you are suggesting is taking my money and giving it to others?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
I've heard people try to say that both are diseases that cannot be helped, but I'm not sure about that. I know plenty of people who have fallen on seriously hard times, that almost don't do at all or never use period, either drugs or booze. My point, seems to me, that there's got to be some personal responsibility and if you're doing something illegal (drugs anyway) that clouds your mind, even more, than you should suffer, sorry.
We all fall short of the glory of God, and no sin is greater than another in the Christian Gods eyes, correct?

If you're a Christian, you're not acting very Christ like

Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You're all over the place bro! You believe that rehab is more violent than prison? You want to make drugs legal and then give no way for addicts to help themselves. Rehab is voluntary, prison is enforced... and you're already paying for that my friend!

Your position isn't even remotely rational. No, the extremist isn't me, and I'd bet most people in here would agree.
Ill try to respond but you are attributing things to me, never said.
Rehab isn't violent, but extracting the money from the taxpayer to pay for a state run system is. Then there is the immorality of forcing non-users to pay for the rehab of the users. Addicts need to find their own help and not rely on money swiped from the checks of productive people who don't have any such habits.
Please don't call yourself a libertarian out of one side of your mouth and advocate for a huge redistribution scheme from the other.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Have someone slap you in the face, turn the other cheek.

That was what Jesus said not to judge people and help only those you deem fit
Wow, what a way to be absurd.

So, there are ten people in the homeless shelter. If I care about all of the homeless, I will remove the one who is going to cause disruption, not be benefited by by efforts, and allow someone in who will.

You seem to forget that protecting the others is also a duty.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wow, what a way to be absurd.

So, there are ten people in the homeless shelter. If I care about all of the homeless, I will remove the one who is going to cause disruption, not be benefited by by efforts, and allow someone in who will.

You seem to forget that protecting the others is also a duty.
really? So you think ALL homeless drug addicts are violent. The none drug addicted homeless are 100% safe?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I volunteer for several homeless agencies in my town and none of them allow drugs or alcohol. They don't test, but if someone appears to be under the influence or starts trouble, they are kicked out.
Same deal in my neck of the woods. No one under the influence gets through the door.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Same deal in my neck of the woods. No one under the influence gets through the door.
So you know who is under influence right away by looking at them?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So you know who is under influence right away by looking at them?
It's behavior based.

Most of the guests in my neck of the woods are working poor. A car is necessary to reach the shelter.

It's about avoiding those more likely to pick a senseless fight, vomit or steal from other guests.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 PM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
thinks that if any of them are abusing drugs or alcohol, they need to stay on the streets, end of story.
I know if I was running a shelter, to try to help them out, but if it became plagued with drugs and booze, mostly since it people just sneaked it in, I wouldn't think anything about closing it down on the spot.
Sadly, it seems to me, that that's why so many people, even if it's not most, are against homeless shelters, especially for men, in their neighborhoods. Heard of too many stories of needles and booze bottles being left around places, where these shelters or assistance centers exist. If there was some way, to guarantee, that they would be drug and alcohol free, I don't think any one would take issue with any homeless shelter or assistance.
Is there any realistic way to do a drug test, with results on the spot, as a condition of entry?
Asking, since I believe in the Christian principle that Jesus said (if you do good to those who are most vulnerable, you do on to me as well), but, I positively draw the line if they are drug users or boozers who have no interest in stopping.
Best advice for you-open a shelter and operate it any way you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies