Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fracking
Yes 70 57.85%
No 44 36.36%
Not sure 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,287,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Nearly anything can be called poison in simple terms, oxygen will kill you in simple terms.

The question is what is the hazard involved with the concentrations they are using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
they are pouring water....water contains those compounds naturally...also those compounds are natural in the ground, and are churned up with the injection process

the fact is when we PUMP something OUT of the GROUND, we REPLACE it with something...always have

every oil well in texas...as they pump the crude out, they replace(inject) something (usually water) to fill the gap
I hope you guys aren't trying to convince people that fracking water is safe to drink. You ruin your credibility by doing such. Once water is used in fracking it can't be used for drinking and must be stored separately. As a result, drillers are starters to recycle the water instead of buying new water and storing the old water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:50 AM

6,104 posts, read 6,004,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm against it, for many reasons, but since I'm the OP, will wait and discuss later.....
What do you think?

I'm all for pumping tons of arsenic salts into the ground where it has every chance of mixing with ground water that Red Staters drink, wash or pump on to their farms. Its my way of exterminating unwanted Red Staters!.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,316,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Because it has been proven that fracking is safe. The weak point is the concrete collars. As long as the collars are proper, the wells are safe. Hell, even this out of control we hate anything fossil EPA had to admit that they couldn't find anything (and trust me they tried really hard) wrong with fracking.

It's quite ironic to me that the same people who cite science for AGW are probably the same people who ignore science when it comes to fracking.

Yeah, because big business never lies in order to cover up harmful effects of what they do or anything.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:10 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,764,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good. And perhaps where you live is also so ugly that a bunch of drilling rigs actually spruces up the place.

We don't need it...economically or otherwise. You can have it.
Drilling rigs are mostly in rural areas away from homes, after the drilling is done, the well head occupies a small area, you could have one in your yard and it would be no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Fracking, yes or no and why-images.jpg  

Old 11-15-2014, 11:20 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,292,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Drilling rigs are mostly in rural areas away from homes, after the drilling is done, the well head occupies a small area, you could have one in your yard and it would be no problem.
I live in a rural area. And this is the desert...we don't have forests and thickets to hide that stuff.

Plus, you can't hide the trucks, man camps, increased traffic, destroyed roads and damaged bridges and overpasses.

It's just not worth it.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,090,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
This is what is sitting 100 feet from my neighbor's house, only it is painted green and recently they added a slightly smaller, white plastic tank right next to it.

Such a nice view from your deck, huh?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,360,183 times
[quote=phma;37282187]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Fracking fluid is about 98% water. The additives used are chemicals commonly found in household products such as, cosmetics, laundry detergent, make-up remover, disinfectants, etc.

Your objection to fracking is based purely on your particular political agenda, and you are uninformed. You are simply accepting the propaganda you read from like minded liberals who claim to be "for science," but apparently are not. They claim to be for "progress," but are not.

So according to you it ok to get up in the morning and wash your face and put your makeup on at the same time because it's in the water.

Here is another one from your own report that I wouldn't want in my water in any amount.
Friction Reducer
Polyacrylamide
Mineral oil
Minimizes friction between the fluid and the pipe
Water treatment, soil conditioner
make-up remover, laxatives, and candy

Great now you can put on your makeup and take it off at the same time all while washing your face and taking a dump.

You can only bounce a ball on your nose for so long. Then you have to form an opinion on your own. The basis for you argument is your right and I'm wrong. You have all the science I don't. I'm a liberal your not.
Same old crap different day.

In earlier post I have made clear my position. When I turn on the water I actually want water to come out if you don't than I'm fine with that.
Utterly silly.

Go live in the country (like I do) where you have a well. Find out what's in the water that comes out of the ground, far from any fracking or any other industry activity. It contains a lot of iron (we have to keep up with that, because it makes the fixtures, such as tub and sink, turn red orange), sulfur (makes it smell like rotten eggs, but you get used to it), and a variety of other chemicals. There are few places on this earth where water is "just water."

This is one reason why cities add chlorine, and other chemicals to the city water (fluoride too - helps prevent tooth decay). In fact, you can buy a purification system for your well water that chlorinates it, and removes other sediment and chemicals.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone dying from drinking either city water, or untreated or treated well water.

You don't know what your drinking in your own water, but you're quick to point out the miniscule amount of chemicals in fracking fluid that never reach ground water anyway, because the fracking takes place hundreds of feet below the water table.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,270,395 times
Fracking is safe. Those that say otherwise are lying.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 PM

34,299 posts, read 15,713,373 times
[quote=nononsenseguy;37284853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Utterly silly.

Go live in the country (like I do) where you have a well. Find out what's in the water that comes out of the ground, far from any fracking or any other industry activity. It contains a lot of iron (we have to keep up with that, because it makes the fixtures, such as tub and sink, turn red orange), sulfur (makes it smell like rotten eggs, but you get used to it), and a variety of other chemicals. There are few places on this earth where water is "just water."

This is one reason why cities add chlorine, and other chemicals to the city water (fluoride too - helps prevent tooth decay). In fact, you can buy a purification system for your well water that chlorinates it, and removes other sediment and chemicals.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone dying from drinking either city water, or untreated or treated well water.

You don't know what your drinking in your own water, but you're quick to point out the miniscule amount of chemicals in fracking fluid that never reach ground water anyway, because the fracking takes place hundreds of feet below the water table.
That's the problem with you and others like you. Everyone has to be silly or stupid or liberal or conservative or any other description you assign if they don't share your view of the world. No opinion is important but the one you have. There can only be one horse in the race and it has to be you. If you drive a dodge it's the only one worth buying. Now why can't people just admit that you are the most qualified to tell them what to think or what to do and act like. You demonstrate why we have a dysfunctional government because they are just like you. I know full well what is in the water I drink.

You assume way to much. As I previously stated I have a well but the water is not drinkable. Not because it will kill you but because it has a bacteria that will cause constant gut pain. I've lived in places like La Junta Co. and Moxie Wa. even hand drilled a well with an auger in my in laws back yard for water to fill the pool. Both places have high iron sulfur and smell like rotten eggs so bad you have to hold your nose to drink it, but it won't kill you. I don't drink it either.
I have been to every state in the Union but Maine and many foreign countries. I seldom meet anyone that has traveled as much as I have. I don't think I'm superior because of it, but I claim that I have been exposed to a wide array of cultures and environments. I've seen the devastation caused by oil companies and worked at those sites to clean up their mess. When they go in it's all roses and cotton candy and when they leave not so much. Let me put it this way. I had a dog that drank out of the toilet even when he had a water dish filled with water. It didn't kill him or make him sick. I don't want to drink out of the toilet, but if you do, I'm fine with that.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,847,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I live in a rural area. And this is the desert...we don't have forests and thickets to hide that stuff.

Plus, you can't hide the trucks, man camps, increased traffic, destroyed roads and damaged bridges and overpasses.

It's just not worth it.
Should probably stop eating food since all those trucks delivering the food to the store are increasing traffic, destroying the roads and damaging bridges. Don't forget the man camps for the people picking the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies