Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Thanks for helping making my point, 24k dial up went away without any law required.
Ah yes, you guys are only bothered by the fact that the government actually did something for a change. Darn, you will just have to survive without incandescent bulbs.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Default Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Again, I really don't care. You guys are literally arguing over an obsolete technology. This is like listening to people try to tell me they should be able to use 24K dial up internet still.

I am sure you will survive without incandescent bulbs.
There's more to surviving - you want to enjoy your life, too. It's just a personal preference for the kind of light an incandescent bulb can offer, that those "new bulbs" can't provide as well. I think if people were afraid of change, they wouldn't be using a computer to be able to participate in a forum. It's not being stuck in the past, afraid of change - it's just that some people prefer the light from an incandescent and should be able to have that choice, and not have something they don't like forced upon them.

169 posts, read 124,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Really, I find that interesting. I love the white light from the LED versus the yellow light from the incandescent. To each their own I guess.
Would you then support a law that banned the "new" bulbs and required only the use of incandescent bulbs?

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Ah yes, you guys are only bothered by the fact that the government actually did something for a change. Darn, you will just have to survive without incandescent bulbs.
Im bothered by uneducated politicians who don't know my needs making choices for me, but you already knew that.
When did I say I couldn't survive without incandescents?

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Yeah, that is called obsolete technology, we found how to make unleaded fuel and got rid of leaded fuel. Incandescent bulbs have been made obsolete and the world will survive without them.
I think perhaps you do not understand what obsolete means? That can be the only reason I can think you would still be arguing this point.

At the time leaded gasoline was banned and the phase out began, it wasn't obsolete, it was widely used and the primary petroleum product used for personal transportation. The only reason leaded gasoline was banned was not because something better came along as you tried to argue but because of health implications. So no. Leaded gasoline was not banned due to obsolescence. Seriously, this is not hard stuff to understand.

There was no health or environmental reasons to ban incandescent light bulbs. It was corporate welfare for god's sake!! It was a gift to companies like GE and flipping Bush signed it into law which I will never understand. I thought people on the left were against corporate welfare or is it only for certain things?? And please, if you're going to make an analogy, at least make one that isn't so poor and then don't double down when you're proven wrong.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Yes, we should ban bicycles because they're obsolete. After all, we have cars now. Seriously, this is the argument you're making.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
There's more to surviving - you want to enjoy your life, too. It's just a personal preference for the kind of light an incandescent bulb can offer, that those "new bulbs" can't provide as well. I think if people were afraid of change, they wouldn't be using a computer to be able to participate in a forum. It's not being stuck in the past, afraid of change - it's just that some people prefer the light from an incandescent and should be able to have that choice, and not have something they don't like forced upon them.
Yeah, I don't put crappy light bulbs high on my list for enjoyment of life. If you want to really enjoy life, living by candle light is much more pleasant.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Im bothered by uneducated politicians who don't know my needs making choices for me, but you already knew that.
When did I say I couldn't survive without incandescents?
Well tough, you will survive without incandescent, if they really mean that much to you, then you could always just make them yourself.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think perhaps you do not understand what obsolete means? That can be the only reason I can think you would still be arguing this point.

At the time leaded gasoline was banned and the phase out began, it wasn't obsolete, it was widely used and the primary petroleum product used for personal transportation. The only reason leaded gasoline was banned was not because something better came along as you tried to argue but because of health implications. So no. Leaded gasoline was not banned due to obsolescence. Seriously, this is not hard stuff to understand.

There was no health or environmental reasons to ban incandescent light bulbs. It was corporate welfare for god's sake!! It was a gift to companies like GE and flipping Bush signed it into law which I will never understand. I thought people on the left were against corporate welfare or is it only for certain things?? And please, if you're going to make an analogy, at least make one that isn't so poor and then don't double down when you're proven wrong.
There was better and safer gasoline, that is what obsolete means, leaded gasoline became obsolete when a better form of gasoline was made....why you don't seem to grasp this concept is beyond me.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't put crappy light bulbs high on my list for enjoyment of life. If you want to really enjoy life, living by candle light is much more pleasant.
see even you realize, the light bulb replaced the candle without any legislation, but yet there is a place for both. Keep on arguing though lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies