Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 PM

169 posts, read 124,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is like listening to people try to tell me they should be able to use 24K dial up internet still.
Is there a law against doing that, or more specifically, one that outlaws the manufacture and sale of those slow modems?

Not that I am aware of.

The difference between why those modems are not manufactured and why incandescent bulbs aren't manufactured is a law.

People willingly chose to use faster modems, and the demand curve shifted to the left.

Why not let the market work similarly with light bulbs?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You must be very young to believe what you do concerning lighting. What different kinds of fixtures have you had in your different houses and what have you had to light for safety/security reasons? How did you arrive at the conclusion incandescent is obsolete and why? What was the AHA! moment for you and how does it apply to one and all?

I already know you to be a liberal and you guys are generally misguided treehuggers when it comes to much of this stuff. You know what the media tells you rather than real life experience.
Then you can make your own if they are that important to you, it isn't that hard to do because it is obsolete technology.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
You guys and your need to have obsolete light bulbs, it is just too funny. If you don't want to government to do anything, then move to a country with no government. Then your problems would be solved.
Typical. Jump to an extreme. I think the government shouldn't be engaged in helping GE and their ilk sell their light bulbs by making the competition illegal. You say because I don't like that, I should move to a place with no government. How about we just have a government that doesn't ban things when it's not necessary to do so? That would be the reasonable thing to do.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
You guys and your need to have obsolete light bulbs, it is just too funny. If you don't want to government to do anything, then move to a country with no government. Then your problems would be solved.
You should take your light bulb ban and move to Somalia. But they are probably still using candles, so you may have to ban them first.
Sounds like a planners utopia huh?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
No one is trying to make you a criminal, if you think there is money to be made manufacturing in obsolete technology, then have fun with that.
If the technology is obsolete, then why not let the market determine that?

Why is a law that bans the manufacture and sale of incandescent bulbs necessary?

Why do you want to restrict freedom of choice?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It really doesn't matter why they were banned. If anyone has a problem with it then blame Bush.
Of course it matters. How silly to say it doesn't. We shouldn't be passing laws to help businesses kill the competition. That reason should matter and that you don't think it does is concerning. I do blame Bush for signing that boondoggle legislation and think it should be repealed.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
Is there a law against doing that, or more specifically, one that outlaws the manufacture and sale of those slow modems?

Not that I am aware of.

The difference between why those modems are not manufactured and why incandescent bulbs aren't manufactured is a law.

People willingly chose to use faster modems, and the demand curve shifted to the left.

Why not let the market work similarly with light bulbs?
It was a bill that saw bipartisan support and was signed into law by Bush.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racional View Post
If the technology is obsolete, then why not let the market determine that?

Why is a law that bans the manufacture and sale of incandescent bulbs necessary?

Why do you want to restrict freedom of choice?
I know, right, what are you gonna do without the freedom to choose what different types of light bulbs you have to use.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't put crappy light bulbs high on my list for enjoyment of life. If you want to really enjoy life, living by candle light is much more pleasant.
That is your preference, and you should be allowed to have it.

Why do you want to persecute me for my preference for incandescent bulbs?

Isn't discrimination wrong?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,616 times
Quote:
What an utterly stupid argument.
So no one can criticize the government or it means that they should move somewhere without one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies