Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Am I crazy or just old?
Surly I am not alone in this.
Just old,

older generations really seem to hate us for some reason, always hoping we live in some hellhole, constantly trashing us....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 03:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Just old,

older generations really seem to hate us for some reason, always hoping we live in some hellhole, constantly trashing us....
Well as Obama says... take a pill.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If you think that any company, any politician really gives a damn about you, you will be sorely disappointed when you realize they don't. I'll bet you can't even trust your own "friends" when it comes to money. If you can't make ends meet it's up to you to do something about it. Crying a river and giving excuses won't help, you'll again be disappointed.

There.. that's a dose of reality for you.
Who said I trust companies OR any politician? I don't vote I leave that up to the fools who do. Do you vote?

Old 11-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Just old,

Stop playing with your phone when you drive that might help for starters. IF you have kids make them play outside & DON'T give them a cellphone.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Stop playing with your phone when you drive that might help for starters. IF you have kids make them play outside & DON'T give them a cellphone.
Just because you're addicted to your phone while driving and poorly raise your children, doesn't mean that everyone else does. Stop generalizing based on your anecdotal experiences.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:55 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
This kind of goes along the line of the U.S losing it's morals.

I'll try & keep this short.

We all know that our school system is going downhill fast these days & it has been for a while now.
For me I can't blame the school system totally, I'm seeing a woman with two children & they live with their dad. He's the type of parent to let them play video games all day & buy them an I-phone. So far other then doing the laundry & doing dishes they haven't learned much of anything to prepare them for real life. The things they watch on TV these days & not to mention the role models they have isn't helping.
I'm in my 40"s & I'm sure my parents thought the same thing about my generation. I'm just using my GF's kids as an example. She feels the same way I do about how kids are raised these days. I don't see kids playing outside so much anymore & those that do tend to lose interest once the become teenagers. Facebook has become their best friend. I once had a conversation with someone who truly believes that our government wants us dead more so the poor of the nation. While I disagree with this I have to admit that they are being dumbed down From what the schools are NOT teaching them from parents who see to pacify them with electronics, (smartphones, Video games, & TV. This might be an age thing I remember parents having type of reactions such things as well.

Am I crazy or just old?
Surly I am not alone in this.
They will be fine. The adult population always looks at new generations and think they are lost and without hope, but they always turn out just fine. I think the biggest challenge the new generation faces is health issues due to lack of physical exersice and healthy food. They will die younger, but other than that they will be fine.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
If future generations follow the lead of self serving self absorbed people like Obama and Hillary, this will be an abysmal future for the children.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
We were raised by Television back in the 1970s and books when the tv was not allowed.
Now it is Television + Gaming and Internet.

The difference I see with the bold faced is the overall quality of the former was generally much higher in the 1970s and one did not need parental direction to seek out information useful for shaping one's mind, attitudes, inner code, etc. Both television and the Internet can provide a superior experience to the 1970s but one has to know what to look for or have direction and there are too many distractions into useless or counterproductive information. Gaming well I think it is a waste but we wasted time in the 1970s as well. It was more balanced then.

I agree with some of your post yet we didn't sit for hours or all day in front of the TV. Some parents not all tend to parent while they themselves do the same thing. Sadly ,much of my generation has got lazy from the same the same thing that I'm talking about here. Those who parent are failing their children much as mine did me but for different reasons. The woman I'm dating whose son is 12 years old is VERY smart & I feel bad for him that his dad (who he lives with) He has much to offer & his dad doesn't see it.
I know I was like this kid I WAS this kid. I think it's a injustice do sit a child in front of the TV/Video games, or hand them a phone all because a parent is too lazy to take part in their kids life.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Just because you're addicted to your phone while driving and poorly raise your children, doesn't mean that everyone else does. Stop generalizing based on your anecdotal experiences.

Guess I hit a nerve. Some FYI here I don't have a cellphone.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Guess I hit a nerve. Some FYI here I don't have a cellphone.
Whether you have a cell phone or not, doesn't really change the fact that you're generalizing based on anecdotal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies