Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:55 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times

Advertisements

Canfield Green wasn't a place I would want to live. That part of Ferguson along W. Florissant and Chambers isn't good in my eyes. Near Florissant and Airport Rd through Ferguson Hills subdivision may be okay.

I wouldn't refer to Ferguson as a toilet. I would also agree its not about Black vs White residents. Its about an old outdated system of corruption that should have been dealt with 30 years ago. Its not only Ferguson. Its pretty much nationwide in select cities possibly near you.

There has to be a culture of accountability established between LE and the people who live within the city. The image of a racist corrupt police officer who grew up in a practically all white suburb(in this case St. Charles County), moving to establish a family in another all white suburb (Crestwood Missouri) who works for a police department in an a predominantly black suburb (in a department that only has 3 Black officers out of 53) raises question of the motive for hiring someone who fits that profile. The police department like Ferguson has such a bad reputation that qualified Black, Hispanics and Whites don't want to apply. Mix in the bag of low starting salaries, you've got a hot mess of a organization. There are police departments throughout this country that operate in mostly Black communities who have a reputation of being racist. Some even have ties to groups like KKK.

The residents of Ferguson have the right to demand accountability of officers on the streets. Its their city! Within the past 12 months there has been an uptick throughout the country of officers killing unarmed Black men. People are now standing up and demanding more accountability. It has to happen.

I think Ferguson will do fine as a city. There are still some exciting projects under way as recent as Centene corp announcing locating 300 jobs to that city. Express Scripts is growing in that area. I believe Metro transit have plans for the N. Hanley Station. As many would love to say that Ferguson is dying, they are doing so without looking at the facts. I believe given what I know about Ferguson that the city will definitely recover from this and it may even thrive. They can be a poster of how a city can overcome. All eyes are on Ferguson.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

The residents of Ferguson have the right to demand accountability of officers on the streets. Its their city! Within the past 12 months there has been an uptick throughout the country of officers killing unarmed Black men. People are now standing up and demanding more accountability. It has to happen.
Perhaps they need to focus less on the cops and more on the criminal element residing in the city. You make it sound like the officers on the street are the main source of the problem. How about these residence stand up and demand more accountability of their neighbors?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Perhaps they need to focus less on the cops and more on the criminal element residing in the city. You make it sound like the officers on the street are the main source of the problem. How about these residence stand up and demand more accountability of their neighbors?
Good question 01snake, from what I understand the crime especially homicide isn't as bad as many may think. But crime is crime regardless of stats.

Like I've written before, this is about accountability 01snake. Especially Black criminals are prosecuted and get the book thrown at them. Police officers don't get the same treatment. In many cases they are protected by corrupt prosecutors.

Regardless of who's side you are on or If you have a side, you have to look at what the issues are and not be distracted.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Good question 01snake, from what I understand the crime especially homicide isn't as bad as many may think. But crime is crime regardless of stats.

Like I've written before, this is about accountability 01snake. Especially Black criminals are prosecuted and get the book thrown at them. Police officers don't get the same treatment. In many cases they are protected by corrupt prosecutors.

Regardless of who's side you are on or If you have a side, you have to look at what the issues are and not be distracted.
Why doesn't more blacks join the police force??

Old 11-23-2014, 01:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Like the Fire Departments they have to take a written test first off ...

Old 11-23-2014, 01:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Like the Fire Departments they have to take a written test first off ...
That is what I thought.

I know many places have lowered the test score required.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
There are Blacks who join police departments throughout the country. Look at suburban University City Missouri or to a lesser degree St. Louis City. I've heard Houston Texas has done a good job with their departments diversity.

Departments who want diversity has diversity. Departments who struggle with corruption and issues with poor community relations don't.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Within the past 12 months there has been an uptick throughout the country of officers killing unarmed Black men.
Perhaps! Or is it just the latest "crusade" by MSM under the theory and practice that "If it bleeds it leads" and ratings sensationalism? And as always, where's the outcry on black-on-black murder rates? Does media not value those lives equally?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps! Or is it just the latest "crusade" by MSM under the theory and practice that "If it bleeds it leads" and ratings sensationalism? And as always, where's the outcry on black-on-black murder rates? Does media not value those lives equally?
Fox msnbc cnn are all guilty of sensationalism. It's really a disservice and irresponsible.

They don't report the outrage of Black on Black violence because they don't think people like you want to know about it.

That's why good people like yourself have to get out and find out about things before forming an opinion.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Fox msnbc cnn are all guilty of sensationalism. It's really a disservice and irresponsible.

They don't report the outrage of Black on Black violence because they don't think people like you want to know about it.

That's why good people like yourself have to get out and find out about things before forming an opinion.
1. You don't know what I want to know because you haven't asked me and I haven't told you.

2. Did I tell you or anyone else that I'd formed an opinion?

3. You didn't answer the questions.

What's are a real disservice and irresponsible are unsubstantiated suppositions like yours!

G'Day

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11-23-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies