Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is almost like an illness, the amount of government assistance people of the USA feel they are, or should be entitled to, that was never the intent of the government, Federal, State or community, in a free state.

Where everyone was suppose to be treated equally by the government.
The governments intent, was never to favor or punish, the winners and the losers, for economic gain.
It was there to secure our freedom & liberties. Not systematically take them one by one, and give them back to the chosen as a privilege.

What exactly, do you feel you are entitled to, from government?

Your view of what the intent of government was/is your entitled too. The problem arises when you claim it is your view that in fact exist. Best example would be the preamble and article 1.

Preamble
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Article I, Section 8,
1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States;

The Congress is given the power to legislate. When it does that it increases the size of government and establishes, offices, programs, rules, laws etc. and implements the legislation. Government is the product of legislation born of the constitution. What your advocating is an abortion of government by interpretation of the constitution as the unfit mother of freedom. People may feel that they shouldn't have that power and based on their feelings choose to deny they exist, but the truth remains no matter how popular the legislation is. What you say it means, or want it to mean, takes a narrow view not shared by those in power. Many might agree with your view in principle, or in a manor of degrees, and I would lean that way also, but wishing it so doesn't make it so.

A person is entitled by citizenship to participate in what the constitution grants by legislation to it's citizens, also excluding those defined by legislation.

One could argue that both welfare and income inequality positions of the left do, or do not, insure domestic tranquility or promote the general Welfare. It is Congress who will decide both or do nothing. No one has to sign up for welfare, food stamps, VA, unemployment, or many other programs. It is a choice. That is what I'm entitled to. I'm always surprised at the conservatives I meet in conversation, when at the VA, standing in line for travel reimbursement.
When it comes to pork barrel policies both parties have no shame.

Last edited by phma; 11-26-2014 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:34 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
"Government that makes everyone healthy and happy" is interesting. I don't see how any master plan forced on everyone can possibly accomplish that...it's just a group of people controlling other people, not the divine entity that people want it to be.
Making everyone healthy is as simple as giving everyone (or letting everyone earn) a good health insurance policy. And making everyone happy is as simple as having teams of social workers talk to everyone, and the unhappy people they find would be sent to programs or given services to make them happy (and in return those people could do something to earn those services.)

And I got those ideas from republicans of the past, who would actually talk about things like welfare reform.

Quote:
As for the first list, you would LIKE those things, or you actually feel ENTITLED to them? I'd hope it's not the latter. If you were alone on a desert island, would you still feel entitled to those things? Or is it just because you arent the one who has to provide those services? I don't think anyone is obligated to do anything for me unless we had a previous agreement about it.
And I feel ENTITLED to clean water, safe food, and everything else I listed in my posts, YES ENTITLED!!! Is your mother, wife, and children entitled to those things? (I believe they are, do you?)

And if I was on a desert island with 3 children, an old woman, and a man in a wheelchair, I would gladly work all day to feed and care for them all. And if a able bodied conservative man who spent more time complaining than working ^^^^ was on the island, I would not let him starve either. I would not let you starve T0103E (seriously.)

Old 11-27-2014, 07:04 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Making everyone healthy is as simple as giving everyone (or letting everyone earn) a good health insurance policy. And making everyone happy is as simple as having teams of social workers talk to everyone, and the unhappy people they find would be sent to programs or given services to make them happy (and in return those people could do something to earn those services.)

And I got those ideas from republicans of the past, who would actually talk about things like welfare reform.

And I feel ENTITLED to clean water, safe food, and everything else I listed in my posts, YES ENTITLED!!! Is your mother, wife, and children entitled to those things? (I believe they are, do you?)

And if I was on a desert island with 3 children, an old woman, and a man in a wheelchair, I would gladly work all day to feed and care for them all. And if a able bodied conservative man who spent more time complaining than working ^^^^ was on the island, I would not let him starve either. I would not let you starve T0103E (seriously.)
Please tell us what you are on. I will ride my unicorn to visit you.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That's it.
Naw .... your constitutional rights and your civil rights.

How can you be entitled to life? The other two maybe as a consequence of the two I mention.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Turkey and a glass of wine. And I'm sure you could comprehend at least parts of my post.

And your talking about riding unicorns, perhaps I should ask you what your on?

What causes someone to ignore understandable information, post cruel personal insults, and think about riding unicorns?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
I love these vague ass answers like "liberty". I'm sure people in China officially have "liberty" too.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Actually I was on lack of sleep, and extreme personal life and work related stress. I re-read my post and the first paragraph especially gives validity to your above remarks.

I actually appreciate your post because it made me realize (I need to slow down and relax a bit.)

I apologize if I was rude, and I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving.
Chad.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:

What exactly are you entitled to in the USA?

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit.... of happiness.

No more, no less.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:29 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit.... of happiness.

No more, no less.
Unless you're pointing a banana at a cop, then you lose your right to liberty and you might lose your life.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:01 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Unless you're pointing a banana at a cop, then you lose your right to liberty and you might lose your life.
Meh.... if you're dumb enough to do that, then the human race is probably better off without you anyway. It's rather Darwinian. The gene pole has a way of weeding itself out. Natural selection and all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies