Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,678,030 times

Advertisements

There's conservatism and then there's this -- a yearning for the world that existed 140 years ago. Wow. Now that's conservative for you. I have never seen a job ad for a "good man" and don't expect to in my lifetime. Jobs require technical skills these days, so yeah .. you're pretty much going to need to acquire skills and knowledge to get a good job. Church attendance isn't going to get you very far in the 21st century. It may have been okay for the 19th, but the times have moved on. I suggest you do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 05:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As an example, working knowledge of why there are 2 Koreas? Read "Game Changer" and learn of her staff's despondency as it turned out she didn't know the basics.
If I had to choose between you, as to which understands the Korean split better, I'd choose her. Seeing as how you choose to believe the insipid twaddle in "game changer", you're way too gullible.

Quote:
You made up that laundry list, not I. Ironically, in a thread that you started on, of all things, the subject of character. I'd venture to say that speaks volumes of yours.

Or is putting words in somebody else's mouth a sign of character in your circles?
I refer to my previous sentence.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Has anyone ever figured out why HW Bush chose Dan Quayle to be Vice President of the United States of America?

Wait, I remember.

It's because Dan Quayle looks just like JFK.

People liked JFK.

They hafta like Dan.

That Bush was a shrewd one, he was.

John McCain tried the same trick; he had to secure the dumb votes.
Anyone ever figured out why Obama won?

Was it his "resume"?

Was it his accomplishments in life?

Was it has demonstrated honesty and integrity?

Was it his determination to undo wrong and clean up corruption?

Was it his leadership, where he took on hard things and excelled?

Was it his character, demonstrated in absolute integrity?

What was it? Well, tell us.

Because in any test of ANYTHING, Palin's 50,000% better than Barack H Obama.

So, tell us, what was it? Why did Obama win the Democrat primaries?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There's conservatism and then there's this -- a yearning for the world that existed 140 years ago. Wow. Now that's conservative for you. I have never seen a job ad for a "good man" and don't expect to in my lifetime. Jobs require technical skills these days, so yeah .. you're pretty much going to need to acquire skills and knowledge to get a good job. Church attendance isn't going to get you very far in the 21st century. It may have been okay for the 19th, but the times have moved on. I suggest you do too.
Translation:

"Integrity and character are out of style - vote for technocrats and hire by the resume, because that trumps a man's character in all things..."

And some people actually still think society isn't doomed...

Old 11-29-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Your character had nothing to do with your new car loan. Your job was the only thing needed.
Wrong. He took MY WORD that I had a job.

Quote:
Banks make money by loaning money out and getting more money back from the loans. Period.
Had I not made the payments, they would have lost money. I think you don't comprehend risk.

Quote:
Did the car dealership consider your character? Nope. They need to sell cars. That's how they make money. Banks sell money to make more money.
The dealership didn't have to trust me. The check I handed them was from the bank, they trusted the bank.

Quote:
You could have had a sterling character or you could have been as crooked as a dog's hind leg- no difference to the bank. Your job gave them the legal means to collect the money you owed them through legal means if necessary.
LOL! That's just hilarious. Did you notice we had a debt crisis recently?

Quote:
What about the 'character' of the car salesman or the loan officer? Both probably turned someone else away the same week you bought your car. Both sold what the offered to someone else who was a real jerk and a real pain in the butt to both that same week. Both took a greater risk with someone else than you that same week. Both had cream puff deals happen that same week.
Tell me, what risk did the car salesman take? None. All that person needed was someone to agree to buy and sign the papers and hand over money.

Quote:
Your character didn't mean doodley-squat to any of that at all.
LOL! Wow... So much you don't know, but think you do.

Quote:
These days, since everyone knows much more about your financial history than in earlier times, even a job might not be good enough to land another new car loan for you. Or me.
The debt crisis we just endured (and still are) is proof that not lending on character, but on paper metrics and political theories doesn't work well.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,900,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike
Your character had nothing to do with your new car loan. Your job was the only thing needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wrong. He took MY WORD that I had a job.
You really believe the bank didn't check to confirm that you had a job? Wow, it makes your posts arguing about how smart Sarah Palin is make so much sense now. For some reason the phrase "dumb and dumber" comes to mind.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You really believe the bank didn't check to confirm that you had a job? Wow, it makes your posts arguing about how smart Sarah Palin is make so much sense now. For some reason the phrase "dumb and dumber" comes to mind.
No, he did not.

I know. Because the whole process started with me, unknown to him, walking into the bank, and me, walking out with a check - and he never called my employer. The only person he called was the dealership, to verify the car was still there (not yet purchased) and the price.

I sat at his desk the entire time. And so did he.

You judge people's character by partisan politics. The wisdom in that is... nil.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM

13,310 posts, read 7,895,725 times
Quote:
Anyone ever figured out why Obama won?

Was it his "resume"?

Was it his accomplishments in life?

Was it has demonstrated honesty and integrity?

Was it his determination to undo wrong and clean up corruption?

Was it his leadership, where he took on hard things and excelled?

Was it his character, demonstrated in absolute integrity?

What was it? Well, tell us.

Because in any test of ANYTHING, Palin's 50,000% better than Barack H Obama.

So, tell us, what was it? Why did Obama win the Democrat primaries?
I'm wondering if people voted for O'Bama because they hoped he WASN'T the previous.

The previous stunk to high heaven.

Everyone I see running now stinks to high heaven.

They stink to me, too, and I'm ground level.

Ron Paul, yes; Rand Paul, no.

Sarah Palin is stupid and ignorant - those two things work together for her.

You can imagine what kind of people are attracted to her.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 11-29-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I'm wondering if people voted for O'Bama because they hoped he WASN'T the previous.

The previous stunk to high heaven.

Everyone I see running now stinks to high heaven.

They stink to me, too, and I'm ground level.

Ron Paul, yes; Rand Paul, no.
I actually think that finding out WHY people voted for Obama would be very enlightening.

Not the "choose the best answer" kind of poll, but an open ended question of "why"?

I have theories about it, most of which revolve around apathy and emotional manipulation, but those are just theories. In the end, asking people why they did something that didn't make sense often reveals things one would never dream of.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:14 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,900,310 times
Quote:
No, he did not.

I know. Because the whole process started with me, unknown to him, walking into the bank, and me, walking out with a check - and he never called my employer. The only person he called was the dealership, to verify the car was still there (not yet purchased) and the price.

I sat at his desk the entire time. And so did he.

You judge people's character by partisan politics. The wisdom in that is... nil.
LOL. Sure he did. Because you looked like an honest kid and banks routinely just hand checks over to kids who look honest.

You've got to love the Internet, where people can invent anything and claim it is the truth. Unfortunately for you, for a fabrication to fool people it has to at least be believable on its face. This fiction of a bank simply writing a check and handing it over because you "looked honest" doesn't even begin to rise to that level of believability. (I suspect you may have left out a fact or two, like maybe Daddy was there to co-sign for you, and his employment status was already known to the bank from accounts and/or previous transactions??)

Nice try, but don't quit your day job to become a fiction writer. You kinda suck at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies