Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 5,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
When was the last time you saw an ad for "A good man" to be put in a position of responsibility. Nope, we see demands for degrees and resumes. People without a degree from an elite university? Why, they're ignorant, can't be put in charge of important things.
Get used to that. This country has somewhat aligned itself, to borrow the words of Charles Murray, into people that are in the "cognitive elite" and the vast majority that are not. A degree from an elite university is generally just one of several ways to sift them out and put them in positions where they can add value to a business. It's a proxy for being smart and ambitious. One can only hope they are "good", in your 1870s sense........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,842,017 times
What does character have to do with politics?

He who raises the most money for himself and party gets the nod from their party.

Politicians are popular when they bring home the Federal bacon, especially when their state recieves more than their fair share in terms of how much its people paid in federal taxes.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 AM

47,021 posts, read 26,101,826 times
Quote:
If I had to choose between you, as to which understands the Korean split better, I'd choose her.
Are you saying you'd consider 2008 Palin well-versed in, say, international relations? And since you don't like what the whistleblowers in her campaign said, then what do you base that assessment on? (Alaska's proximity to Russia, sadly, doesn't count.)

Quote:
I refer to my previous sentence.
Don't like it when someone points out you're lining up a strawman argument? Guess not. I giess that's some sort of character, too.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,982,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Pentangeli View Post
Get used to that. This country has somewhat aligned itself, to borrow the words of Charles Murray, into people that are in the "cognitive elite" and the vast majority that are not. A degree from an elite university is generally just one of several ways to sift them out and put them in positions where they can add value to a business. It's a proxy for being smart and ambitious. One can only hope they are "good", in your 1870s sense........
I see you bought into the myth as well.

The myth being that "a liberal education makes you a more capable person".

Other than the education that comprises specialized skill and knowledge (engineering, medicine, geology, etc - the hard sciences), most everything else is mostly useless in determining a person's abilities.

However, academia has been very effective at turning a meme into a cultural phenomenon that displays itself as having a degree makes you higher in line to be a janitor.

Even more amazing is when you get hired for a job... and find out that getting a degree pays you more... but you do precisely and exactly the same things, the same way.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you saying you'd consider 2008 Palin well-versed in, say, international relations? And since you don't like what the whistleblowers in her campaign said, then what do you base that assessment on? (Alaska's proximity to Russia, sadly, doesn't count.)
About 50,000 times better than Obama. Perhaps you should learn more about Alaska. Palin's experience in dealing with and understanding of foreign policy was VASTLY greater than Obama's. Specifically about the Pacific Rim and middle east. The Alaska governors are right in the middle of the crossroads of policy - where it meets reality. But then, you don't know anything about because you know nothing about Palin... OR Alaska. You're probably unaware that the governor of Alaska is in the same security and international issues briefings that the President is in on, because Alaska is unique, in that the AK Guard is actually a 24/7 force, integral to national security plans. Something entirely unique to Alaska. Also, the governor of AK also directly interacts with a large number of foreign countries on policy, trade, security, and boundary issues. Something else I'm sure you're unaware of.

Quote:
Don't like it when someone points out you're lining up a strawman argument? Guess not. I giess that's some sort of character, too.
They weren't "whistleblowers", they were searching for ways to divert attention from their incompetence. And they made it up. But, you'd know that, if you paid any attention to reality.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There's conservatism and then there's this -- a yearning for the world that existed 140 years ago. Wow. Now that's conservative for you. I have never seen a job ad for a "good man" and don't expect to in my lifetime.
It's so heartbreakingly naive. One of the tests one can apply to whether a statement is worth putting to paper is "Would anyone argue the opposite?", and looking for "a good man" of course falls flat on its face - would anyone put in an ad for "a bad man"? It's kinda implied.

Quote:
Jobs require technical skills these days, so yeah .. you're pretty much going to need to acquire skills and knowledge to get a good job. Church attendance isn't going to get you very far in the 21st century. It may have been okay for the 19th, but the times have moved on. I suggest you do too.
Pretty much agree. I would much prefer that my investment adviser is a good woman, but if she doesn't know the difference between stocks and bonds, then her sterling character isn't going to help me much.

Quote:
Translation:
Round 2 of putting words in peoples' mouth? Sad...

Quote:
"Integrity and character are out of style - vote for technocrats and hire by the resume, because that trumps a man's character in all things..."
The resume is the baseline - hiring is as much by network (and that's just 21st century for "reputation") as it is by resume. Character most certainly forms part of your reputation. I know highly skilled engineers who have long ago topped out in their careers because they've gained a reputation of being impatient, abrasive, arrogant, vainglorious - lacking in character. It most certainly still counts.

But if all you have to step up with is your good character, then what good are you?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

The resume is the baseline - hiring is as much by network (and that's just 21st century for "reputation") as it is by resume. Character most certainly forms part of your reputation. I know highly skilled engineers who have long ago topped out in their careers because they've gained a reputation of being impatient, abrasive, arrogant, vainglorious - lacking in character. It most certainly still counts.

But if all you have to step up with is your good character, then what good are you?
You didn't know that Chrysler hired some of the most abrasive, impatient, and irritating people who were GOOD. He didn't hire "yes" men. And hiring by social reputation is quite pathetic.

I deal with those kind of people all the time.

Many of them are infuriatingly incompetent.

It's amazing how you miss the point of hiring for competency and integrity... Yet, you're trying to dispute the value of that by saying people are hired by likability and social reputation.

I'm just dumbfounded.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:31 AM

13,310 posts, read 7,889,396 times
Quote:
You didn't know that Chrysler hired some of the most abrasive, impatient, and irritating people who were GOOD. He didn't hire "yes" men. And hiring by social reputation is quite pathetic.

I deal with those kind of people all the time.

Many of them are infuriatingly incompetent.

It's amazing how you miss the point of hiring for competency and integrity... Yet, you're trying to dispute the value of that by saying people are hired by likability and social reputation.

I'm just dumbfounded.
Intrinsic merit is a threat to people persons.

Course, then again, Roger Smith snitched his way to the top of General Motors.

He was an anti-people-person AND an anti-merit person.

Fricken genius, huh?! PRISON MINDSET

Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
About 50,000 times better than Obama. Perhaps you should learn more about Alaska. Palin's experience in dealing with and understanding of foreign policy was VASTLY greater than Obama's. Specifically about the Pacific Rim and middle east. The Alaska governors are right in the middle of the crossroads of policy - where it meets reality. But then, you don't know anything about because you know nothing about Palin... OR Alaska.
Dear Lord - have we stumbled across Palin's handle? Listen, we both know that Alaska is a bit of a backwater and that the Alaskan governor has bupkis to do with foreign policy. Norw, that doesn't mean that any hypothetical Alaskan governor couldn't be well-read and well-informed and if you have evidence - in the form of something Palin said, or a piece of legislation with foreign policy ramifications that she authored, or - something, really - I suggest you post it, rather than pretend that it's common knowledge.

Because what she gave us was: "As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state."

And that right there is what made "I can see Russia from my house" an effective parody.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The words "the resume is the baseline" didn't show up on your screen?

Quote:
I'm just dumbfounded.
I can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies