Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:33 AM

1,204 posts, read 873,061 times

Advertisements

[quote=Swampmonster;37450906]That's actually a horse's ass thing to say..a person that is a Christian,has his way of believing and then everyone on this thread bashes Christians and wants the Christians to turn the other cheek?

If you are gay then what the hell do you CARE about what a Christian thinks of you or whether he prays for you or not..you don't believe in GOD,then that's fine because you have free will to believe what you please and nobody can take that away from you,but don't be a pack of douchebags and afford others the same right to believe as they believe.

And that's part of your difficulty. I do believe in something greater than man. Is it the god of the bible, or of the Norse, Greek, sub-continent, muslim or wherever. We don't really know, until we get there.

So don't give me this CRAP about not believing in god--so you can go on and continue to believe in your interpretation of god and I'll believe in my interpretation. I'll see you at the gates.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Black and white thinking. There aren't just two sides to everything.

If those kids had not been told they were broken, would they still have killed themselves? Probably not. I blame the people throwing children into psychological torture, not the ones who were tormented and told they needed to be changed.

What an adorable thing the parents said. We love you, but you have to change. Right... We love you, but not the way are. Please be different for us. After all, any parent who sends their kid to 'therapy' for this is doing it so they don't have to be ashamed of a gay kid. It's selfish, and I'm not a theologian, but that's probably a sin.
Dusty: are you a parent? Parents have to do whats is best for their kids. Obviously they did not want their son to commit suicide... and that is why we have a story here. What you are promoting is that parents turn a blind eye to their kids behavior... look at the inner city, and ask yourself; how's that working out?

Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The only help he needed for his gayness is for his family to accept him as he is.
so, if he was doing drugs would you feel that way too. What about if he was having unprotected sex? what if he were hanging around prostitutes and gang members? Do you just accept that? I can accept that my son might not want to play football or baseball. But, am I going to buy him a dress for Christmas because he says he wants to wear one.
When it comes to morality and/or parenting, we have to do the best we can.
In many cases, we have 2 choices... (1. to accept or condone a behavior

or (2. To step in and correct your kids when they are acting contrary to God's standard. This can be as simple as bad table manners, or if they have a potty mouth. We can't accept that. If they bring home suspect friends then we may have to step in. My brothers got involved with bad (criminals) friends, and they have suffered the consequences. Do you think those parents would have felt better if they "accepted" their son, and then find out that he has AIDS?

Old 11-29-2014, 03:21 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
so, if he was doing drugs would you feel that way too. What about if he was having unprotected sex? what if he were hanging around prostitutes and gang members? Do you just accept that? I can accept that my son might not want to play football or baseball. But, am I going to buy him a dress for Christmas because he says he wants to wear one.

or (2. To step in and correct your kids when they are acting contrary to God's standard. This can be as simple as bad table manners, or if they have a potty mouth. We can't accept that. If they bring home suspect friends then we may have to step in. My brothers got involved with bad (criminals) friends, and they have suffered the consequences. Do you think those parents would have felt better if they "accepted" their son, and then find out that he has AIDS?
The Serenity Prayer says, to accept the things you can not change, change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference. Do you have the ability to change your sexual orientation, much less change another's sexual orientation? Hint: we are looking for wisdom here, not scripture.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:53 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
And how many evangelical churches are struggling with divorced people in their midst?

That's what I thought.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Thousands have been cured of homosexual deviancy disorder through prayer and meditation. The parents did the best thing they could to help. God understands and will reward them even as liberals condemn.
Who?

I call your bluff!

You are making a nonsense statement.

Ever hear of "Exodus International" ... the largest 'pray the gay away' ministry that folded ????

What about "Jonah" which is being sued in court for quackery and extortion.

A year and a half ago an "ex-gay" group called "The Voice Of The Voiceless" promised to hold a massive rally in front of the US Capitol in Washington. They said "thousands" would show up. How many showed up? 12. Very easy to count ... 12. Get this - the 12 that did show up were some evangelical ministers and a few friends and not a single person who identified himself or herself as an "Ex-gay" !!!

The whole ex-gay movement is virtually non-existent.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:58 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Who?

I call your bluff!

You are making a nonsense statement.

Ever hear of "Exodus International" ... the largest 'pray the gay away' ministry that folded ????

What about "Jonah" which is being sued in court for quackery and extortion.

A year and a half ago an "ex-gay" group called "The Voice Of The Voiceless" promised to hold a massive rally in front of the US Capitol in Washington. They said "thousands" would show up. How many showed up? 12. Very easy to count ... 12. Get this - the 12 that did show up were some evangelical ministers and a few friends and not a single person who identified himself or herself as an "Ex-gay" !!!

The whole ex-gay movement is virtually non-existent.

While not 100% sure, I think the post you're responding to was sarcasm based upon that contributor's other posts.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Dusty: are you a parent? Parents have to do whats is best for their kids. Obviously they did not want their son to commit suicide... and that is why we have a story here. What you are promoting is that parents turn a blind eye to their kids behavior... look at the inner city, and ask yourself; how's that working out?
You're using two unlike things and pretending they're the same. Also, inner city is vague, but I'll assume we know what the means... how is it similar to homosexuality? Like at all?

Turning a blind eye is not what I'm talking about. Thinking critically is what I'm talking about. If your child is making meth in his basement, that's a problem. If he's gay... not so much. Meth addicts who get rehab therapy usually are better afterwards. Gay people who go to 'therapy' never are better afterwords. So, I agree with doing what's best and those parents clearly did not do that at all. They did what was best for THEM, not their kid.

Quote:

Contrary to God's standards... Jesus would hang around with prostitutes, but hey, being a parent is hard. God must have been pretty upset.

Found out he had AIDS... you know, I thought in 1980, it was made clear that AIDs affects everyone, not just homosexuals, but I guess when you live in 1950, that knowledge has yet to come.
And if they want their son not to get AIDs, teach him to practice safe sex. That's something that a parent can control. Who their child is attracted to is not within a parents right or ability to decide.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:22 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
It is agonizing and very difficult for the whole family in many ways. As some one saids it isnt black and white.
You have a beautiful daughter that you dream of the day that she grows up , finds a great husband and father and gives you grandchildren. Hoping that she becomes the wife and mother that you did your best to raise her to be. The mother dreams of weddings ,babyshowers etc.. It is agonizing!
In their case they thought her playing basketball from an early age was going to be her "ticket" to a college education. It was. Now they question their decision to basically turn their daughter into a "jock" and therefore being in the environment that she was.
Like I said my heart aches for them. In the end every individual has to be accountable for their own salvation, as a parent all you can do is pray and hope that they will surrender their will.
Your heart aches for the parents! Are you kidding me? Sadly, I know you're not.

You seem to be busy thinking about the poor mother. Believe it or not, the purpose of a child isn't to make their parents happy or fulfill their parents dreams. Plus, she can still have the wedding and baby shower; her partner will just be another woman.

I truly cannot express how angry this post makes me. When I told my family that I was gay, they told me I was going to go to hell, get AIDS and die, live an unhappy life, etc. And do you know what mad me the most mad? When people would act like they (my parents) were the victims. Yeah, poor them. They have to join the 21st century. Meanwhile, I would cry myself to sleep because my parents didn't really love RC01. They said they loved me, but they definitely didn't love the gay RC01 (the real one).

This post is a prime example of why I absolutely hate some parents and religious people. Some people really don't deserve to have the privilege to raise a child.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
In other words, you have nothing to support your position(s), other than "it's icky!"

Well fine, your feelings are your feelings. And you are welcome to them. Just stop pretending you want to have a genuine discussion.
It's disgusting, unhealthy and the "bigots" aren't causing the health and emotional problems of the homosexuals. Their lifestyle is causing their emotional and physical problems. But hey I was born this way. It's science!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies