Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 08:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,446,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So, by your logic, there really is a WHITE COMMUNITY, because over 90% of whites voted for the right wing, hypocrite conservative knuckleheads that have taken over the house and senate.

Right?

The "white community" DOES exist then by YOUR reasoning, correct??
If 90% of whites voted Republican and 100% of blacks voted democrat, then according to math democrats would never win anything....

Old 12-17-2014, 08:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
If 90% of whites voted Republican and 100% of blacks voted democrat, then according to math democrats would never win anything....
Nice way to dodge, deflect and weave.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,577,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
She doesn't want facts to get in the way of her obsession.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM

8,152 posts, read 7,537,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I voted for Obama -- and it had nothing to do with race.
Both times, there wasn't much competition from the other side.
That may be true for you, but what about the rest of what's being called the "African American Community"? I can tell you that my father (an Irish Catholic) told me he voted for JFK in 1960 and that was the only time he ever voted Democrat. Based on that knowledge I find it very easy to believe that lots of people vote their ethnicity or religion though they may claim otherwise.

Aren't there cultural ties and shared experiences among black people, whether you grew up in Harlem, Georgia, or Chicago? Isn't being subject to getting pulled over for DWB, and voting for Obama part of a shared culture?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,602,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you look up the word community, it does not have to encompass the entire groups of people.
A community can be a community of drug users, church goers, local or nationwide groups, small or large groups.

Are you part of the Liberal community?
How about part of the Boat builders community ?
Maybe part of the Obama haters community ?

No need to make a perfectly good word racist or all encompassing.

I would say Blacks have much of the highlighted below. Many don't.

Community | Define Community at Dictionary.com
So then there is white community as well?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,295,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Let me take a shot at this. I normally don't care to comment, i tend to walk away and laugh. But this one. I have no idea what where or how you came up with white privileged. But I want you to keep thinking and feeling like that so that other minorities will pass your African american non privileged feeling self.

In my view, by your definition of privileged, you are privileged too. You are an american by birth. The first word out of your mouth is in English or Ebonic, (doesn't matter to me), your name is in written in English. Whether its a normal name or some crackhead name like Shaqueda, Tamiko or LeDaron or Tekwon. Is still English ( I didn't make up those names).

African american choose to think they are not privileged. You walk around thinking the white man holding you back. You create that all in yourself. You can go on your daily activities without worrying about, your next meal. You speak English, you know how to ask. Help me please.
And another note, why the hell do you want to be associated to African, you just put yourself back 400 years.
Call yourself Black american. That's more appropriate.

Lets compare notes. You are more privileged than me.
I am a vietnamese guy. I was born in Vietnam. I came to this country at the age of ten. The first English word I learned was "hi". When your a foreigner, you think. WTH is "hi"
My name was in not easy to pronounce. I don't look like you black or white.
I had no idea if the Americans black or whites were making fun of me. Cause i didnt understand what they were saying. But i do know they called me Ching Chong and silly chinese names, I am not even chinese. That's right, all the black whites and Hispanic kids made fun of me.
The small town has never seen an asian before, ever. How am I gonna ask for help? I don't speak English, how am I gonna pass 3rd grade. How am I and my family gonna make it in this country.

So by your definition of privileged, I am SOL. I have nothing going for me or my family.
So what do we do? 2 weeks into the US. My dad with no English, not even one word.
No car.. He got a job, he walked to work. For 6 months. Rain and snow.
What do we do? We face all obstacles and we beat it without, bitching or crying or protests.

Fast forward 2014. Been here 34 years. My name is legally Christopher, i earned college degree, work in oil and gas speak english to my employees,, black whites and hispanic. Take a while guess. Who's the boss???
My dad is still cranking at his job. At 68 years old. After open heart surgery from 2013. My Vietnamese mom, still cant speak english well, still works. Just don't sit in the car with her. Crazy asian woman driving. But she drives a new Benz so she won't hit you. Not one day did we stop striving.
America has given my self, my family a great life. It wasn't easy, it was tough, but doable. We did it. Go ask any vietnamese person. How, they came to the US. Most share my same hardship..

This was just a quick bit part of my life. You have no idea.

They say you don't know what's it like til you walk in another mans shoes. You black of america. Lets trade shoes. .. Try walking in this vietnamese mans shoes.

Still feeling unprivileged?

This post makes no sense.

Did they mention other minorities? Did they say that life would be easier in another minority person's shoes?

African Americans expressing their feelings on race does not diminish any other race's plight.

Wow...odd.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:14 AM

17,564 posts, read 15,668,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
That may be true for you, but what about the rest of what's being called the "African American Community"? I can tell you that my father (an Irish Catholic) told me he voted for JFK in 1960 and that was the only time he ever voted Democrat. Based on that knowledge I find it very easy to believe that lots of people vote their ethnicity or religion though they may claim otherwise.

Aren't there cultural ties and shared experiences among black people, whether you grew up in Harlem, Georgia, or Chicago? Isn't being subject to getting pulled over for DWB, and voting for Obama part of a shared culture?

No. We don't all eat collard greens, ham hocks, chitterlings and corn bread. We don't all listen to RnB and Soul. We don't all smoke pot. Harlem blacks and Georgia blacks are miles apart in terms of culture.
Caribbean blacks (my case) share virtually NO cultural similarities with those born and raised here, yet we are all thrown into the same pot.
Furthermore, DWB is just a stupid term, more often than not used for comical relief than anything.
Most "shared experiences" are experiences shared with all other races; not just blacks.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:19 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,283,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Let me take a shot at this. I normally don't care to comment, i tend to walk away and laugh. But this one. I have no idea what where or how you came up with white privileged. But I want you to keep thinking and feeling like that so that other minorities will pass your African american non privileged feeling self.

In my view, by your definition of privileged, you are privileged too. You are an american by birth. The first word out of your mouth is in English or Ebonic, (doesn't matter to me), your name is in written in English. Whether its a normal name or some crackhead name like Shaqueda, Tamiko or LeDaron or Tekwon. Is still English ( I didn't make up those names).

African american choose to think they are not privileged. You walk around thinking the white man holding you back. You create that all in yourself. You can go on your daily activities without worrying about, your next meal. You speak English, you know how to ask. Help me please.
And another note, why the hell do you want to be associated to African, you just put yourself back 400 years.
Call yourself Black american. That's more appropriate.

Lets compare notes. You are more privileged than me.
I am a vietnamese guy. I was born in Vietnam. I came to this country at the age of ten. The first English word I learned was "hi". When your a foreigner, you think. WTH is "hi"
My name was in not easy to pronounce. I don't look like you black or white.
I had no idea if the Americans black or whites were making fun of me. Cause i didnt understand what they were saying. But i do know they called me Ching Chong and silly chinese names, I am not even chinese. That's right, all the black whites and Hispanic kids made fun of me.
The small town has never seen an asian before, ever. How am I gonna ask for help? I don't speak English, how am I gonna pass 3rd grade. How am I and my family gonna make it in this country.

So by your definition of privileged, I am SOL. I have nothing going for me or my family.
So what do we do? 2 weeks into the US. My dad with no English, not even one word.
No car.. He got a job, he walked to work. For 6 months. Rain and snow.
What do we do? We face all obstacles and we beat it without, bitching or crying or protests.

Fast forward 2014. Been here 34 years. My name is legally Christopher, i earned college degree, work in oil and gas speak english to my employees,, black whites and hispanic. Take a while guess. Who's the boss???
My dad is still cranking at his job. At 68 years old. After open heart surgery from 2013. My Vietnamese mom, still cant speak english well, still works. Just don't sit in the car with her. Crazy asian woman driving. But she drives a new Benz so she won't hit you. Not one day did we stop striving.
America has given my self, my family a great life. It wasn't easy, it was tough, but doable. We did it. Go ask any vietnamese person. How, they came to the US. Most share my same hardship..

This was just a quick bit part of my life. You have no idea.

They say you don't know what's it like til you walk in another mans shoes. You black of america. Lets trade shoes. .. Try walking in this vietnamese mans shoes.

Still feeling unprivileged?
Wow, what a bunch of random rambling. What does your post have to do with the topic of the thread? Apparently you have comprehension skills, this thread is about defining "African American community" , your writing some long-winded immigrant story about how life has sucked for you. If you want to rant about privilege then perhaps you need to post in a thread where that is the central theme. There is a thread like that in the political forum.

Btw in the midst of your whining, you do realize your parents CHOSE to come to this country voluntarily without a pot to **** in. Good that they worked hard and made the best of their circumstances and raised you right. But if your upset about your lack of privilege you can blame that on your parents who willingly came to the country and brought you here in such circumstances.

And yes I'm sure people still feel unprivileged after reading your pivotal story. Just like there are people sick of hearing black people rant about not having privilege, there are others who are also sick of hearing the same ole "my parents VOLUNTARILY brought me to America with only pennies to there name and worked hard and I've had it harder than you even though I don't know you personally to say that"

Perhaps this is harsh but is honesty? Yes. Lol

Old 12-17-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So then there is white community as well?
They NEVER answer this question.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This post makes no sense.

Did they mention other minorities? Did they say that life would be easier in another minority person's shoes?

African Americans expressing their feelings on race does not diminish any other race's plight.

Wow...odd.
Totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies