Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
You really don't care to read your own links do you? This was from a source in the first of your links:

WHO | Female genital mutilation

Also in the second article it says:

I have a couple questions about this number.

1. How many have actually been cut?

2. What does it mean to be at risk of being cut?

3. How many women have actually been sent away from America for this operation and how many came to America having had it done before they stepped foot in America?

4. How many Muslims have sent their daughters overseas to be cut? For that matter how many of the 228,000 women (not all of whom have been cut I'm assuming because that number also includes those who are "at risk" whatever that means) are from Muslim families?

I doubt these numbers actually exist and until they do assumptions will just be made.

I will say two things though. I do not consider Muslims who do this to be moderate so I am not defending them. And I do not think this is exclusively a Muslim issue. From what I have read it seems to be an issue with Africans in general. I would really be interested in seeing how these numbers relate to Muslims here in the USA.
So let me get this straight. I point out that you can find information about "cutting vactions" in regards to Muslim Americans in less than 5 seconds in a google search...and you are ******** to me about that? Not only are you whining but you are asking me questions about **** when I was just pointing out your laziness. I'll tell you what...why don't you do yourself a favor. Stop being lazy and look up the information yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
That second link is broken (404 error).

Also the second link is incredibly misleading if you just read the article title. The poll (which they don't link to and I couldn't find (how convenient)) said 88% gave ISIS a low score (a low score doesn't mean support ). I wonder what American Muslims think? Most Muslim Americans See No Justification for Violence

Old 12-16-2014, 08:57 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
So let me get this straight. I point out that you can find information about "cutting vactions" in regards to Muslim Americans in less than 5 seconds in a google search...and you are ******** to me about that? Not only are you whining but you are asking me questions about **** when I was just pointing out your laziness. I'll tell you what...why don't you do yourself a favor. Stop being lazy and look up the information yourself.
Watch this.

Quote:
Stop being lazy and look up the information yourself.
^^^ This is directed towards you. If it is as easy as you say it is to provide this information, you are the one making claims that require such information so why is it my responsibility to provide proof for your statements. Your information is faulty and overly broad and by presenting the information you have presented in this thread you have rendered your argument baseless. This isn't a thread about FGM this is a thread about Muslims. Your sources provide zero information in terms of what Muslims actually do. (Actually it wasn't you who originally brought up "cutting vacations" but you chose to respond to it)

Old 12-16-2014, 09:04 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
^Exactly! I even gave him a starting point to find out this info.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
^^^ This is directed towards you. If it is as easy as you say it is to provide this information,
It took less then 5 seconds to find those links on google. Like I said you were being lazy.

Quote:
you are the one making claims that require such information so why is it my responsibility to provide proof for your statements.
I claimed and stand by the claim that it took 5 seconds to find info about "cutting vacations" doing a search on google. What part of that do you not comprehend?

Quote:
Your information is faulty and overly broad and by presenting the information you have presented in this thread you have rendered your argument baseless.
You wanted a link about it and now your ******* about getting a link? How typical.

Quote:
This isn't a thread about FGM this is a thread about Muslims. Your sources provide zero information in terms of what Muslims actually do. (Actually it wasn't you who originally brought up "cutting vacations" but you chose to respond to it)
I responded to you because you kept ********* and moaning wanting a link. I than stated it took less then 5 seconds to find the info.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
I'm not doing your research for you. When I make a claim something is occurring I provide proof of it (hence the original post in this thread). If I were to start a thread like this: "Muslims are speaking out against radicals so people who say they don't are wrong." People would look at me like I'm nuts and say "Proof?" The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim.

Beats me. I wasn't the one making the claim that it was common. That was you. You have still yet to even define what you believe common is. I know you want other people to do your research for you but if you make a claim you are the one who has to back it up. Just like if I make a claim and I can't back it up it is baseless and pointless.

If that is what their religion teaches I don't really see a huge problem with it. I don't agree with it. But I don't think it is illegal in this country (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong). As for the bolded part I haven't even ever heard of that. Do you have proof it occurs in this country? How do these Mosques even know if a woman is on her period?

Responding to the bold: What makes you think a Muslim has to follow their holy book to a "T" in order to be Muslim? How do you now "enlightened Muslims" don't go to a Mosque? Are you saying only radical Muslims go to a Mosque? If that is the case you are going to have to provide proof of that. Also I dare you to go to the Christianity sub-forum of the religion forum and tell the people there that if you don't go to church you can't be Christian. They will make you head spin. //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...go-church.html

Good grief!

You refuse to do your own research and whine about it. I even gave you a good starting point. Are you having trouble believing that "cutting vacations" happen?

Where did I say that Jihadist behavior was "common"?

They know if a woman is on her period because she gets asked. Have you ever read "Not Without My Daughter"? Perhaps you should. It's not illegal to bar a woman from attending a mosque when she's having her period but why would anyone condone that behavior?

In each case, enlightened Muslims that I have met and read about tend to be secular. They say they're Muslim but don't attend a mosque. Besides, those Muslims---especially women---who speak out against all that is negative about Islam, are often barred from going to mosques. Not only that but they have fatwas put upon them (death sentences).

Why would I go into the religion forums? Sure, there are those who think that all Christians need to belong to a church, just as there are those who say all Muslims need to belong to a mosque. And you point is, what exactly?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^Exactly! I even gave him a starting point to find out this info.
He's a mindless drone that's for sure.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 PM

595 posts, read 368,630 times
Quote:
You really don't care to read your own links do you? This was from a source in the first of your links:

WHO | Female genital mutilation

Also in the second article it says:

I have a couple questions about this number.

1. How many have actually been cut?

2. What does it mean to be at risk of being cut?

3. How many women have actually been sent away from America for this operation and how many came to America having had it done before they stepped foot in America?

4. How many Muslims have sent their daughters overseas to be cut? For that matter how many of the 228,000 women (not all of whom have been cut I'm assuming because that number also includes those who are "at risk" whatever that means) are from Muslim families?

I doubt these numbers actually exist and until they do assumptions will just be made.

I will say two things though. I do not consider Muslims who do this to be moderate so I am not defending them. And I do not think this is exclusively a Muslim issue. From what I have read it seems to be an issue with Africans in general. I would really be interested in seeing how these numbers relate to Muslims here in the USA.
Here is a video where Reza Aslan talks about female genital mutilation, and how it is an Central African problem, not a Muslim one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV0QXO6YfzA

Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Have you ever read "Not Without My Daughter"?
Reading comprehension is not this guy's strong point. Better recommend the movie to him so after watching it a few hundred times he might get it.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The Muslim world needs to do much more than they have.Many clerics opening preach radical version in west and are not really denounced much by other Muslims for fear; IMO. At some point they will have to standup or lose control of their very faith itself. Now often do you read a declared Muslim denouncing events on CD forums. I read a lot of accusations of western lies by some tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies