Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:34 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times

Advertisements

As a black male, I am somewhat offended by that title. What the hell IS this "African American Community?"
Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson et all DO NOT speak for me, nor do they represent what I stand for.
Am I alone in having an issue with this nonsensical generalization?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Oh, you didn't know?

Each individual black person, such as you and me are supposed to control the actions and attitudes of the 40 million African Americans in this country. Whether it's a race baiter like Sharpton or whether it's a young thug (some races' new favorite word to describe blacks) knocking off a liquor store for some cigs, we, as the African American Community, are held responsible for each and every one of their actions! All 40 million. We must be held accountable if we want other races to stop stereotyping us based on events that we had nothing to do with, no influence over or have nothing in common other than checking the same box for "race" on any given form.

Of course, this doesn't apply to certain races, even in the event of, let's say, a guy goes on a killing spree and murders 6 people.

Because in situations like that, it's never about the race or considered domestic terrorism.

No sir, it's:

1) Mental illness (PTSD, Aspergers, etc)
2) Individual problem (that guy was just crazy)
3) Societal problem (stricter/more lax gun laws)

But throw a turban on his head and give him a long black beard and then bam - it's an Islam/Muslim problem.

'Murica.

Last edited by ATG5; 12-16-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
What do those 2 have to do with that term? This must be a made up, C-D special.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What do those 2 have to do with that term? This must be a made up, C-D special.
I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic

Old 12-16-2014, 09:22 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As a black male, I am somewhat offended by that title. What the hell IS this "African American Community?"
Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson et all DO NOT speak for me, nor do they represent what I stand for.
Am I alone in having an issue with this nonsensical generalization?
Nope.

There are thousands of african american "communities" throughout this country, but whites prefer to lump us all under one "community" as though we are all the same. Let's not forget the various black ethnicities that have NOTHING in common other than being descended from the continent.

Jesse is "messy", but I have a bit of respect for him, because he was on the FRONT LINES of the original civil rights struggle, so I don't go in on him too harshly.

I have NO LOVE for Sharpton. NONE AT ALL.

Love Eric Holder and the prez.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Nope.

There are thousands of african american "communities" throughout this country, but whites prefer to lump us all under one "community" as though we are all the same. Let's not forget the various black ethnicities that have NOTHING in common other than being descended from the continent.

Jesse is "messy", but I have a bit of respect for him, because he was on the FRONT LINES of the original civil rights struggle, so I don't go in on him too harshly.

Pretty much. Unfortunately, the prez gets a heavy amount of undeserved hate... But that's a whole different topic.
I have a "bit" of respect for Jesse for the same reason you posted, but that's about it.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,721 times
normal black folk have nothing to do with sharpton or jackson ot even embrace the "community leader" concept

now as for your question, it only means exactly as it sounds. just a way to group black folk together when making some kind of point

Old 12-16-2014, 09:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Nope.

lol ok so once again its whiteys fault huh? We didn't invent the term, you guys did during the civil rights days. But go ahead and find another thing to blame us for. Hey look its winter, guess that's whiteys fault too.....

BTW in typical hypocritical fashion you lumped "whites" together in your statement about being lumped together...but that's ok right?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
lol ok so once again its whiteys fault huh? We didn't invent the term, you guys did during the civil rights days. But go ahead and find another thing to blame us for. Hey look its winter, guess that's whiteys fault too.....
I think it's a problem with both whites and blacks... No?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
lol ok so once again its whiteys fault huh?

Here we go with this "whitey" term again.

You really need to stop watching those 1970s blaxploitation movies when learning about "black culture".

Quote:
BTW in typical hypocritical fashion you lumped "whites" together in your statement about being lumped together...but that's ok right?
The "reverse victimization" is pathetic. Stop it. It's embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies