Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:41 PM

78,348 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So a FEW black students at a FEW places do this, according to the OP's own post. Yes, it's appalling. But why is this a story? So we can talk about how outrageous black people's "demands" are?

As a white person, when I do something -- however outrageous -- my actions are never seen as being some sort of statement about white people as a whole. But somehow when a few black people do something outrageous, it's just one more opportunity for some of us to cry about how unreasonable black people are (or start threads like this one, suggesting the same thing). There seems to me to be no point to this thread except to give more people the opportunity to think how crazy and stupid black people are. WHY do we need yet another thread like this?

Again, for the record, I am white. I did, however, grow up with a black stepfather who was often appalled at what SOME black people did -- because he knew that people like those posting in this thread would paint him with the same brush instead of seeing him as the individual that he was. It's really, really unfair.
First off, this doesn't reflect badly on all blacks but rather a segment of protestors...you know...the ones marching around complaining about white racism.

I had a friend beaten by protesters like this once for no other reason than being white and getting caught walking home from class by a mob so cry me a river.

Then watcha know, poster after you says they are being called out for being black and not protesting.

Basically, you have a group making everything about race and you don't like it when it gets turned back on them.

Don't like it then maybe you should be calling out the oberlin students instead of lecturing those that are upset with them.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So a FEW black students at a FEW places do this, according to the OP's own post. Yes, it's appalling. But why is this a story? So we can talk about how outrageous black people's "demands" are?

As a white person, when I do something -- however outrageous -- my actions are never seen as being some sort of statement about white people as a whole. But somehow when a few black people do something outrageous, it's just one more opportunity for some of us to cry about how unreasonable black people are (or start threads like this one, suggesting the same thing). There seems to me to be no point to this thread except to give more people the opportunity to think how crazy and stupid black people are. WHY do we need yet another thread like this?

Again, for the record, I am white. I did, however, grow up with a black stepfather who was often appalled at what SOME black people did -- because he knew that people like those posting in this thread would paint him with the same brush instead of seeing him as the individual that he was. It's really, really unfair.
Just par for the course for C-D.

Just for future reference, when a couple of blacks do something (negative, of course), it represents the majority or all 40 million of us African Americans.

Notice how the OP said:

Quote:
Many Black Americans say, "We want equality"... Yet this right here says, "We want special treatment because our situation is different"
You think s/he could cite that source, where the "many" came from? Nah, that's just made up in that one-way street of a mind of his/hers. I'll be waiting for how they make another pathetic attempt at deflecting this post, though.

I had a good number of black friends post on Facebook about how they completed another semester of law school/graduate school/graduated/etc., and a lot of them protested (I went to the University of Missouri for my undergraduate) and were still able to pass all their finals, but I guarantee you won't see the OP or those that agree with him/her post anything about that.

It doesn't fit their agenda.

Edit: Notice how the OP didn't post any articles citing the white people (because you know, it's not just black people protesting) wanting to postpone finals because of recent events.

This was just one instance that I remember seeing on Facebook: http://conservativetribune.com/stude...finals-change/

Old 12-23-2014, 01:43 PM

78,348 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I wouldn't call it special treatment because it could just be offered to all students. The school would profit from this because the students wouldn't get a refund and would just have to repay for the class the 2nd time they take it. They also aren't getting a passing grade and they aren't getting the credit. It is as if they never took the class to begin with except the student lost the money.
Hurts the schools on-time graduation ranking which can affect things ranging from ranking to sports programs via the NCAA etc. (of course not all schools have sports programs but you get the point.)

Old 12-23-2014, 01:45 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I'm still waiting to hear a loud unequivocal apology to the small business owners of Ferguson and their employees who have now lost their jobs or businesses due to rioting and looting. I guess it'll be some time coming. (I suppose they're not considered sexy enough, or 'victim' enough, or maybe they're just exploitative fat cats).
OT Hi Shirina, up in those backwoods - hope you're doing ok with the pain management.
Another +1. Yet no one in the media chooses to say, "Well, those poor shop owners." People lost their livelihoods over people who choose to break laws and then expect people to cater to those that glamorize breaking laws. It's nuts!

If you want change, start by making changes in the community by teaching children how to respect their elders and the world around them. Start by enforcing rules and if they are broken, there are consequences to their actions. This isn't specific to black people, but everyone who has children or plan to be parents one day regardless of race. All parents can do their children favors by teaching them right from wrong, manners, and set some rules. For those of you who aren't parents or can't become parents, start by mentoring those at-risk. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have good parents or guidance. Kids and teens need guidance and a positive role model. That makes them feel welcomed. Why do you think some join gangs? Be someone positive for someone at need. Teach kids that they aren't entitled to everything and they can't do whatever they want, when they want to whomever they want - their choices, whether positive or negative, have outcomes and consequences.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:56 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Observations:

It's only at upper level "elite" colleges we are hearing about this stuff from; Georgetown, Columbia, Oberlin, Harvard. The people living the most dreamy dream can't keep up with the majority of public school students going through the same thing apparently. Are the elite hurt the most by things that don't actually happen to them? We need to reevaluate who are best thinkers are and who goes to what colleges.

It's not just black people, it's also white people on behalf of black people (and other "people of color") who have requested things like this. People who get offended on behalf of others are usually the worst. Again, we need to reevaluate who the best thinkers are.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Just par for the course for C-D.

Just for future reference, when a couple of blacks do something (negative, of course), it represents the majority or all 40 million of us African Americans.

Notice how the OP said:

You think s/he could cite that source, where the "many" came from? Nah, that's just made up in that one-way street of a mind of his/hers. I'll be waiting for how they make another pathetic attempt at deflecting this post, though.

I had a good number of black friends post on Facebook about how they completed another semester of law school/graduate school/graduated/etc., and a lot of them protested (I went to the University of Missouri for my undergraduate) and were still able to pass all their finals, but I guarantee you won't see the OP or those that agree with him/her post anything about that.

It doesn't fit their agenda.

Edit: Notice how the OP didn't post any articles citing the white people (because you know, it's not just black people protesting) wanting to postpone finals because of recent events.

This was just one instance that I remember seeing on Facebook: Student Demands Finals be Postponed... Professor's 1-Word Response Is PERFECT
Hi there. OP here... And I stand by what I said.
In my experience (growing up in inner Milwaukee and going to a high school that was over 90% black)... I found that, yes... Most just wanted equality. To be treated the same. If you really think a source is needed for that statement, you are out of your mind.
Aren't there numerous complaints about being "singled out" by cops?
That a perfect example that backs up my original statement.

I dont have an agenda... But it's good to know you assume other people's intentions. That seems healthy.

Or maybe it was a pathetic deflection

Old 12-23-2014, 02:08 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That request has been denied. That's good, I do not agree with raising a failing grade to a C grade simply because of recent events. Do the work involved to get that C grade.

And getting a C in college is actually very very easy. I went to Brown as an undergrad, and the less than common C's were given to intellectual zombies. So, if these folks are asking for a wide berth to get a C, then they are in truth intellectual midgets to begin with. This story is not only hilarious but pathetic.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:39 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Protesting is stupid?

Ha! You need to do some more studying. Lawyers and politicians didn't get black people through the civil rights movement. Social change happens on the ground. Black people never had (and still don't have) political power.
I don't think so. Laws had to change in order for those civil rights to be granted. Right after blacks were given freedom from slavery, in certain cities (Like St. Louis) in order to own a home you needed to be able to read. Well, we know damn well that slaves couldn't read. This is an example of a set back. It took lawyers and politicians to make those changes.

Just like if we had certain laws like: Whenever a police officer is going to be indicted, the prosecuting attorney should be from internal affairs (instead of the regular prosecutor that they see when testifying against a defendant in a case).

Maybe YOU should do some more studying on the laws and loopholes that powerful whites implemented to make sure blacks couldn't get to the same level as them. It took lawyers and politicians to change those laws. The only part where I agree with you is that black people never had and still don't have political power.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:50 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
Add to the list of "entitlements" everyone seems to be eligible for these days.....

Old 12-23-2014, 02:51 PM

27 posts, read 24,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Do a google search homeslice... ??? It's all over the place.

homeslice ???

Is that racially derogatory term directed at me because you're insinuating that I am not white?. Well, sir you're wrong. And the only websites that I see, after your reference for me to "google search" the subject, which I had no intention doing since the topic is so menial, only ended up showing more insignificant blog type websites, with no reputable credit, including this very thread being the only website with the subject included at the top of the list.

This is what google shows after searching the phrase "Black Students Requesting "Free-Pass" on Failing Grades Due to Recent Events"

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+Recent+Events

One of those low level websites in that list on google actually has the word "Rumor" in it's title econjobrumors.com/.../black-students-with-failing-grades-demanding- free-pass. Exactly my point. Probably just a rumor. Or so insignificant it does not even deserve mass media attention. The actual national, larger, more important and reputable news media, like FOX, CNN or national local news obviously don't find it that important or significant to cover it either.

As I said, nothing but more propaganda to keep race baiting alive. As shown by your response it's definitely working on the more naive public. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies