Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,994,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
‘Black Lives Matter’ Protests Have Black Students With Failing Grades Demanding A Free Pass

So this is an interesting story I just stumbled upon.
To break it down, students are requesting that their professors not fail a single minority this semester because of the recent protests and headlines.
As long as every relative of law enforcement gets the same treatment. Fair?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:26 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,413,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sure they do in many Black dominated cities like Dallas, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Detroit.

They just tend IMO to elect some pretty crappy Politicians. Many seem to steal from their own constitutes and only work on lining their own pockets.
I was referring to major social change, such as the Civil Rights movement.

No, blacks do not have political power. It gets gerrymandered away. The best argument would be Chicago and DC, as Democrats gerrymander Illinois and Maryland in a manner that would benefit blacks in those states.

Cities like Dallas, Detroit, and Atlanta may be represented by black Democratic politicians, but that power usually gets trumped at the state level by Republican dominated legislatures and governorships.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,629,332 times
Quote:
Sure they do in many Black dominated cities like Dallas, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Detroit.

They just tend IMO to elect some pretty crappy Politicians. Many seem to steal from their own constitutes and only work on lining their own pockets.
Don't forget Philadelphia! Or Memphis! Or Camden or Baltimore!

I almost moved to Detroit earlier this year. Sad to see some of the conditions.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I was referring to major social change, such as the Civil Rights movement.

No, blacks do not have political power.
I see it already getting farther eroded due to the influx of Hispanics.
Politicians see the new super minority growing and will be catering to that community.

There are already power struggles in many cities and school boards.

It will be interesting in the sometime future when Political power shifts some to the Muslim community.
Then it may not matter what color we are.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:37 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,547 times
The thing that ticks me off about this kind of crap is this:

SOME blacks act like they would all be living utopian lives if not for those damn white folks and their racism. Yeah, if not for those "whities," they would all be floating around on clouds, eating 10 course meals, sipping wine from golden cups, everyone hugging and singing songs with kids frolicking in flowery meadows, unicorns and griffons giving rides through enchanted forests - and who the hell knows what else. Whatever your vision of a utopian paradise, the black race would be living it if it wasn't for white racism.

It's rubbish.

I no longer support those protests - why would I support those who would burn down people's businesses and homes or delaying traffic. Did the owners of those structures or the people being late to work because of civil disobedience kill that kid? Did they?

But what angers me the most is: Where is MY "get out of jail free" card? Yeah, I would like one, please. I'm not white either, so don't I deserve to have a perfect life? I mean, if anything tragic or bad happens to myself or another member of my race, I want to whip out my "get out of jail free" card and say, "Nope. Nothing bad or unfair can happen to me. No, only white people have to struggle through obstacles and set-backs. I'm a minority so ... "

Where do I get one of those?

Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,629,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

SOME blacks act like they would all be living utopian lives if not for those damn white folks and their racism. Yeah, if not for those "whities," they would all be floating around on clouds, eating 10 course meals, sipping wine from golden cups, everyone hugging and singing songs with kids frolicking in flowery meadows, unicorns and griffons giving rides through enchanted forests - and who the hell knows what else. Whatever your vision of a utopian paradise, the black race would be living it if it wasn't for white racism.

It's rubbish.

I no longer support those protests - why would I support those who would burn down people's businesses and homes or delaying traffic. Did the owners of those structures or the people being late to work because of civil disobedience kill that kid? Did they?

But what angers me the most is: Where is MY "get out of jail free" card? Yeah, I would like one, please. I'm not white either, so don't I deserve to have a perfect life? I mean, if anything tragic or bad happens to myself or another member of my race, I want to whip out my "get out of jail free" card and say, "Nope. Nothing bad or unfair can happen to me. No, only white people have to struggle through obstacles and set-backs. I'm a minority so ... "

+1 I need to rep you for this because it's so true. I'm tired of "If it wasn't for white privilege, I'd be a millionaire and have an awesome life!" Yet, when some of them do make millions either by sports, music or whatever, a lot of them squander it away. They also don't help their community - you'd think entertainers would help their communities or other people within their ethnicity - nope. I'm sure there are some, but it's not heard about often. Instead they buy the fancy cars, drinks and retire broke.

I don't deny there is some privilege... but it's for WASP male or white Anglo-Saxon Protestant males. However, we make our own luck. Don't like your life? Work to change it and work to change it without anger or bullying others. I had to learn that myself.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:58 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,639,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So a FEW black students at a FEW places do this, according to the OP's own post. Yes, it's appalling. But why is this a story? So we can talk about how outrageous black people's "demands" are?

As a white person, when I do something -- however outrageous -- my actions are never seen as being some sort of statement about white people as a whole. But somehow when a few black people do something outrageous, it's just one more opportunity for some of us to cry about how unreasonable black people are (or start threads like this one, suggesting the same thing). There seems to me to be no point to this thread except to give more people the opportunity to think how crazy and stupid black people are. WHY do we need yet another thread like this?

Again, for the record, I am white. I did, however, grow up with a black stepfather who was often appalled at what SOME black people did -- because he knew that people like those posting in this thread would paint him with the same brush instead of seeing him as the individual that he was. It's really, really unfair.

And of course not one thing in your post can be addressed by those upset over this. Posts like these get glossed over.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:13 PM

107 posts, read 155,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Black people never had (and still don't have) political power.
Still living according to Jim Crow?
Or maybe you still observe a black code?
I should really ask, if you see that everyday on the streets slavery is practicised?
Do you live in a neighborhood where Blacks are denied of vote rights?
Do you live in the U.S. where a Colored Man is not a President?

Or you just want to get fame from this post?
And prove that you have nothing to say?

Old 12-23-2014, 01:18 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:

Sounds to me like a description of most politicians, black, white or other, American or international.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,027,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

It's rubbish.

I'm still waiting to hear a loud unequivocal apology to the small business owners of Ferguson and their employees who have now lost their jobs or businesses due to rioting and looting. I guess it'll be some time coming. (I suppose they're not considered sexy enough, or 'victim' enough, or maybe they're just exploitative fat cats).
OT Hi Shirina, up in those backwoods - hope you're doing ok with the pain management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.