Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:00 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,992,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I'm a moderate. But I have to agree with Detroit deserter, and Iamme, their thoughts about Sharpton mirror my own. I don't know him personally so I don't dislike him. I think he is doing his thing and I frankly don't pay him any mind-I don't feel bothered by him though. I think he has a place-there are people who do follow him, and that perhaps need him fighting their fights, looking out for them and standing up for them. I can't particularly understand the obsession that some whites have with him. All in all though, I see nothing wrong with what he's doing these days in 2014-in terms of his show and the battles he chooses to fight. I could care less if people find him offensive. H#ll I find it offensive that people believe that the majority of blacks are collectively the same, with one chosen leader, and no matter how many times this has proven to be false it's insisted that it isn't. Al can keep doing his thing as far as I'm concerned. It does not effect me and I have no ill feelings toward him. Perhaps he does race bait? Honestly I don't particularly care. He's standing up and saying what he feel needs to be said, even if I don't always agree, and don't particularly listen-I can't dislike him for fighting the fights that he believes in.
Sure he might be divisive, but there are also times where he has probably said and did things that some people were offended by, that were perhaps correct. I know that people want blacks to denounce Al Sharpton. They want blacks to dethrone him from his "leadership" status. It's amusing to me. So much obsession and hatred toward this one man. I've said on other threads, but I have no leader--I lead myself. But I'm not going to denounce him just to appease the groups of people that find him offensive--black or white or brown or purple. I don't care if he offends them, he does not offend me. Perhaps it isn't PC but I personally think that there are sub-groups that look to people like AL to fight, and if he wants to be the one to fight--as divisive as he might be in doing so--I think he should continue. Doesn't mean I'm going to listen, or that he's my leader--and really if people don't like him, stop paying attention to him. It's really that easy.
You are so right.

90% of White conservatives who mention his name you can quickly find Jackson and the term race baiting in the same context. The sad part is they can't name what he says that is racists by the common definition of racist. It really makes them look dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 06:05 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,837,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I just wonder why so many white Americans are obsessed with Al Sharpton.
I've been asking myself this for years CTHU

Old 12-30-2014, 07:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpdog49 View Post
White liberals love his devisive talk, that's the way to keep black people voting democrat. I'm a black conservative and history shows what party is really racist. That's all they talk about on msnbc.
What "divisive" talk in particular? Like, what exactly did he say that is divisive?

Just curious.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:02 PM

6,403 posts, read 6,294,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I just wonder why so many white Americans are obsessed with Al Sharpton.
I wonder why so many white American conservatives are?

He's a preacher and a "brand." I don't listen to him other than some sound bites so i don't think I'm informed enough to have any other opinion.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:06 PM

963 posts, read 690,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I wonder why so many white American conservatives are?

He's a preacher and a "brand." I don't listen to him other than some sound bites so i don't think I'm informed enough to have any other opinion.
I'll tell you. Because we have a TRUE racist in the White House, and he seeks Al Sharpton's advice! The country is paying a heavy price for these incompetent boobs making law.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,687,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
I'll tell you. Because we have a TRUE racist in the White House, and he seeks Al Sharpton's advice! The country is paying a heavy price for these incompetent boobs making law.
Boobs are making law now? I'd pay to see that.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,188,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It really doesn't matter what your background is, if you are a liberal, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on him. Even though he seems to share some of the same views as many in the liberal community, his constant race dividing tactics seems to be against many of the principles that liberals typically stand for. It would seem almost hypocritical to support him, but chastise Republican, who some liberals do not feel are very inclusive. Thoughts?
Meh, he's ok. I have no strong opinion on him one way or the other. He's done some ridiculous things, but he's also capable of saying some smart things.

I have no idea why a guy with a pretty low-rated cable news show is so important to the right that they've felt the need to start about a dozen threads about him.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
A "true racist?" As opposed to what...all the previous 'fake racists' that were president before him?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,704,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Y

I feel like conservatives should stop d riding Al Sharpton by bringing him up so much.

Al Sharpton has to love that he is living in so many conservatives minds, it helps keep him famous.

I read one conservative call Al Sharpton like the most powerful person in America or some such insane crap m

Hell, Al Sharpton's friends don't talk about Al Sharpton as much as conservatives.

Al Sharpton won't even be involved in a given incident or situation, yet millions and I do mean millions of conservatives will write and wonder on Twitter, Facebook, print publications, on radio "where is Al Sharpton on this".

conservatives say it all the time. I wonder where Al Sharpton is on this one. And I always think living in your mind is where he is.
I agree. Why do they pay him so much attention?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,595,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It really doesn't matter what your background is, if you are a liberal, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on him. Even though he seems to share some of the same views as many in the liberal community, his constant race dividing tactics seems to be against many of the principles that liberals typically stand for. It would seem almost hypocritical to support him, but chastise Republican, who some liberals do not feel are very inclusive. Thoughts?

No, its not hypocritical to support Sharpton, you are simply defining race dividing as things you dont want to talk about.

but to answer the actual question posed to the forum;As a TV host, he is horrible. As a person who stands up to injustice, he is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies